1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do all DSLR / Compact debates get closed by DSLR owners ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by mjw123, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I really enjoy the discussion / debate we have on this lively photography forum with input from novices and experienced heads a like, non more so than the current DSLR / Compact debate.

However it drives me mad that the threads get closed all the time notably with the DSLR owners getting the final say.

I thought the internet was all about freedom of speech and personal opinion / viewpoint.

No one is been obnoxious or offensive in anyway just putting their views across. Isn't that what BB discussion is all about ?

If I was a cynic i'd think the compacts arguements are too strong hence the threads getting closed.

You can't expect people to give their views on these forums if threads just get closed because they may be different from the moderators.......real shame guys :(

2. MattB1

MattB1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but I have to agree with MJW123.

Why can't people just ignore the thread(s) if they don't want to get involved. Nobody said anything offensive. Threads have been closed in the past about the same type of discussion where people have simply been trying to offer balanced advice. Just because everyones opinions are not the same, is it really necessary to close the threads ?

Matt.

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mjw is it simply to stop it going down a road of generalization and tit for tat comments that has all been said before by the same people myself being one of them.

I'm not biased, i just know which is the better photographic tool in the main.

Well i never edited any of thread all the views are there to be read and the thread was going down a road of repetition.

I'm not going to let it carry over on to here MJ. If you have a problem with my moderation i'd prefer you talked it out with me, turning this in to a personal attack on me, which is all this thread is about.

Most of your posts i have to say only seem to go around this subject you dont share many of your photos, dont talk much about photography at all.

If you'd have actually ever owned a dlsr it might have given your comment more weight but it's unbalanced and a huge generalizion to say 90% dont need one ect. That figure is right out of god knows where...

The fact is the majority disagreed with you as they did the last time i seem to recall.

I closed it as a moderator not a dlsr owner. I closed because this is just where i saw it going and it stops here fellas.

pm and i'll be happy to talk it through.

4. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +485
    My Canon 20D is the best digicam I've ever owned! :devil:

5. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    As an ex moderator here I'd like to see people being warned by PM if they get personal and/or abusive and/or swearing in a thread, and banned by Stu if necessary, but closing a thread just cause its boring or saying things that have been said before? That is in the realms of personal opinion, and beyond moderation.

I like to think I've got the brains to be able to filter out the generalisation waffle and the "between the lines" insults, I don't need anyone to hold my hand and wrap me in cotton wool.

6. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I thought my original post would cause some debate, but not his far ;)

Personal thoughts are threads should only be closed if becoming offensive or are veering severely off track, with warning from mods up front.

On this occasion I feel Sean was pre-empting the latter happening, but possibly to eagerly. Sean has shown true passion on these forums, so I believe it was just a mistake....nothing malicous.

Now can we all have a group hug & get back to taking better pictures.....DSLR or not :devil: :)

BTW, best place to contest who's is best is in the photo comps ..... let the public decide :smashin:

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm sure you can filter them out fraggle, i dont use general chat anymore because it's half of what goes on there these days. This forum has on the hole has immune to it and i intend to keep that way...

I'm not autocratic, i'd have closed this thread if i were.

8. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dare you :devil: :laugh:

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Trust me is wasn't because i have a dslr:laugh:

10. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm inclined to agree. Threads shouldn't be closed just because they're becoming repetitive and/or boring, to some people. There are probably a lot of newcomers who haven't been down these roads before, and the rest of us simply ignore the posts we're not interested in, or have heard before. For the record, I don't own a DSLR. This is mainly because I haven't found one which offers the features I want, at a price I can afford - they are staggeringly expensive in terms of disposable income in SA. The D70 probably comes closest, but I don't like the small viewfinder, limited MF capability and lack of metering with manual lenses.The D2X, D1X, D2Hs series are out of the question and likely to remain so for a while!

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well guys, i think enough now about me closing the thread ect as been said. I wont delete it.

But it is being closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.