1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't Rio capitalise on gapless playback?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by shadowritten, Sep 2, 2005.

1. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I shan't pretend to know the whole story of what's going on over at Rio HQ, but why in the hell didn't they make more of the fact that, with the Karma at least, they achieved true gapless playback across multiple codecs?

Surely if the Carbon had been given gapless playback and hadn't experienced the engineering faux pas that was the static/headphone jack fiasco, it would've stood a much firmer commercial chance against the iPod Mini or the Creative Zen Micro?

Rio's failure to broaden the gapless possibilities of their players strikes me as a loss to the current DAP scene ...

2. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,211
    It was the build issues and marketing

Back then iPods were still being bought as a fashion accessory (its now a decent choice smart alecs). So only those that desperately wanted gapless or to defy Apple got a Rio

Whats sad though is I didn't care about Rio going bust (tragic as it is), until I found out they were gonna release a 30 gigger