Quantcast

Why did LG discontinue the E series?

lumper

I was wondering if anyone knew or can say why LG decided to not make the E series glass panel Oled tvs in 2020?

I am curious if it was because they didnt sell as many as the B or C series models in 2018 and 2019 or if it was because they found issues with the design that led to more frequent defects and problems that developed and required service or replacement more often than the other 8 and 9 series oled tvs.

I thought maybe someone had been at ces 2020 or asked LG this already and I just missed it.
I submitted an email to LG asking them, but I decided to put the question here as well to see if maybe someone knows the answer.
Thanks for reading,
Matt

mjcairney

Distinguished Member
I don't know the official answer to your question but would guess that it's along the lines of the picture quality is the same as the considerably cheaper B and C series with the main difference, apart from the glass panel and price, being the built-in soundbar, but people who are buying this level of TV will mostly have separate surround sound systems so there is probably not a big market for the E series.

I stress, the above is purely my own interpretation of why LG have dropped the E series. As an E6V owner, I would love to hear LG's answer to your query should you ever receive a reply.

Nitroxa

The reason LG have dropped the E series is because the benefits have diminished in the last couple of years, I picked up a 55E6 in 2016 which back then had clear advantages over the B & C series.

2016 E series - Picture on Glass Design, Integrated Sound Bar, 3D, 4 HDMI, Flat Screen..

The B series had no 3D and an inferior processor.

The C series had 3D, but only 3 HDMI & was curved which puts a lot of people off. It was also a Curry's exclusive model.

As the picture quality is the same on the C & E series, the only real benefit in the last couple of years is the design and the integrated soundbar has also taken a big step back making it even less of an upgrade from the B/C series.

I actually managed to buy a 65E8 last year cheaper than than a C8 at that time.. :eek: :D

lumper

I agree they dont offer much in the way of improved picture quality over the rest of the line up, but there is always a niche market for those who dont mind spending a little more for a little nicer design.

But you think since there arent as any differences they decided to discontinue it?

I can see that sort of, although it is a business and I feel like if they were popular and sold a lot of them, they would continue to make them.

I was hoping that the reason was somewhere in the middle of these opinions, maybe they didnt sell as many to justify continuing with the line, rather than they found an inherent problem with the design.

Thanks for the feedback, I am till hoping maybe we can get an official reason from Lg.

RobbieTT

Kinda glad I got the E9 before it was too late.

The change of stand requirements for anti-tip has triggered the expansion in the size and cost of the non-E series, which has also added to the spec blueing between models.

Still, the on-glass display on the E-series did make for a good looking display.

lumper

I know the new standards for stands introduced a lot of ugly stands, lol
But the E has a stand plus flush fit glass base so tipping an E series wasnt really an option anyway.
I am glad I ordered mine too, but then I felt like, hey, wait a minute, what if they discontinued it becaue they were having issues with the panels?
But I dont think that is why, I dont know why, but I suspect it was low sales compared to the B, and C models, I hope.

Tegs200

Me too, although, I am curious as to why they stopped making them.
Because someone found out they cherry picked the panels on the E and they where always marketed as being exactly the same as the C lol , thats my theory and im sticking to it :)

lumper

Because someone found out they cherry picked the panels on the E and they where always marketed as being exactly the same as the C lol , thats my theory and im sticking to it :)
Well, that isnt a reason to stop making them.
People have suggested that they did hand pick panels for the E and W series, but there isnt proof of that.
Even if that were true, it isnt a reason to stop making them.
the only reasons to stop making them are losing money or costing money due to replacements and excessive warranty issues.
I am hoping that the truth is they just didnt sell as many as the other lines of Oled, ie" B series or C series and so they decided to stop production on them and sell off the stock they already have.
May as well put their time and production into the better selling panels, but this is just what I hope their reason was, I really have no idea.

Tegs200

Well, that isnt a reason to stop making them.
People have suggested that they did hand pick panels for the E and W series, but there isnt proof of that.
Even if that were true, it isnt a reason to stop making them.
the only reasons to stop making them are losing money or costing money due to replacements and excessive warranty issues.
I am hoping that the truth is they just didnt sell as many as the other lines of Oled, ie" B series or C series and so they decided to stop production on them and sell off the stock they already have.
May as well put their time and production into the better selling panels, but this is just what I hope their reason was, I really have no idea.
True enough but whatever reason they had I'm just glad I got one before they ended as it's the best uniformity and designed oled I've owned so far .

lumper

Well, I am glad to hear that.
I was only concerned after I realized they stopped production, it made me wonder why, is there a problem with them? if so, maybe Ill change my order.
But nobody seems to know.
If I had gone to CES and they told me no E this year, my first question would have been, why not?
I mean it is a big decision to discontinue a model, I would find it interesting to know why they made this decision.
I went back to the CES videos and when they interview LG reps nobody asks the question, why no E this year?

Tegs200

Well, I am glad to hear that.
I was only concerned after I realized they stopped production, it made me wonder why, is there a problem with them? if so, maybe Ill change my order.
But nobody seems to know.
If I had gone to CES and they told me no E this year, my first question would have been, why not?
I mean it is a big decision to discontinue a model, I would find it interesting to know why they made this decision.
I went back to the CES videos and when they interview LG reps nobody asks the question, why no E this year?
I'd say if you like the tv then buy it and wouldn't get hung up on conspiritry theories as it's just a tv and I'm pretty sure it's not going to blow up.

lumper

Conspiracy theory?
LOL, they stopped making the tv, I want to know why, how is that a conspiracy theory?

I get that you dont know, and you dont care why, its fine, you dont have to answer, but I want to know why.
If they decided not to offer it due to low sales, then fine, that doesnt bother me at all.

But maybe they found they had a high return rate with this model or found some other problem with the design that led to warranty claims or something, if this was the case, I would want to know that and I would avoid buying one.

It makes good sense to find out all you can before you buy something, what good would it do me if I found out after I bought it that they were seeing a high rate of warranty claims with the model?
Then I am stuck with it, so I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before I spend thousands of dollars, now is the time to ask, not later.

Tegs200

Conspiracy theory?
LOL, they stopped making the tv, I want to know why, how is that a conspiracy theory?

I get that you dont know, and you dont care why, its fine, you dont have to answer, but I want to know why.
If they decided not to offer it due to low sales, then fine, that doesnt bother me at all.

But maybe they found they had a high return rate with this model or found some other problem with the design that led to warranty claims or something, if this was the case, I would want to know that and I would avoid buying one.

It makes good sense to find out all you can before you buy something, what good would it do me if I found out after I bought it that they were seeing a high rate of warranty claims with the model?
Then I am stuck with it, so I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before I spend thousands of dollars, now is the time to ask, not later.
Fair enough but I'm sure if there was a high rate of warranty claims you'd here about it here first IMO , if I was as worried about it as you I'd definetly buy another model as it sounds like it will always play on your mind and without LG actually telling you it's a lost cause but they are continuing the C9 and C10 so buy one of those without the worry.

lumper

Well again, I appreciate your opinion, however I like the E series, only thing that would prevent me from buying it would be if a problem was identified that led to their discontinuing the model.
Truth be told, I ordered it already anyway and it will be here in a few days, not to say I cant return it because I absolutely can, but I dont want to or plan too.

Which is why I am trying to find out.
I think it is important and can help others as well.

I put the question to LG directly and if they answer me I will post their response.
I asked here because I know people on these boards have gone to CES and they might have had the conversation already, which would be helpful to me.

It isnt going to weigh on my mind at all, If the tv works properly I am not going to dwell on why they stopped making them, I just want to know.

If you ordered one and then found out they discontinued the line, wouldnt you want to know why?
I mean if it is such a great tv, why stop making it?

Personally I think it was due to lower sales volume than expected, why go through the added expense of making these glass panel models if they arent that popular?

If that turns out to be the reason, that would make me love mine all that much more, to own something that is really nice but didnt sell enough to justify continuing the model line, then it would be even more special.
When next year people ask, "hey what happened to the glass design, I really liked that look and wanted to get one, but now all they offer is the B, C and W models, etc.."

There is a niche market for the upscale design of the E a certain number of people are always going to opt for the nicer more elegant design, maybe not enough people to warranty making them though.

lumper

UPDATE:
So, I emailed a writer for Tech Radar who had written an article about LG oleds.
He replied to me with the following statement.

"Hey Matt!

Thanks for reaching out - and very good observation about the lack of the E-Series this year.

So when I asked LG’s head of product development about it at CES, he said the team wanted to focus development on the new G-Series (that Gallery TV you might’ve seen in our coverage).

AFAIK, the reason not to make one this year isn’t based on any pre-existing issues but more that LG decided it couldn’t innovate it enough to warrant a new model.

I would’ve included all this in the OLED article, but most of it was told to me on background and wasn’t something I could write about. But I’m happy to share it with anyone who’s curious.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone, probably with typos."

So, if this is true, it not only makes sense, but makes me feel a lot better about it.
I can see that if they arent going to add features to it you cant get on the B or the C then who is going to buy this tv?
Most budget minded customers would not, unless sale prices brought the prices so close together that it was worth it for some to buy the E over the others for not only sound, and glass design but say, a gen 3 processor, or 3d option, or some other feature that wold separate it from the others.
So that is what I found out.

Tegs200

UPDATE:
So, I emailed a writer for Tech Radar who had written an article about LG oleds.
He replied to me with the following statement.

"Hey Matt!

Thanks for reaching out - and very good observation about the lack of the E-Series this year.

So when I asked LG’s head of product development about it at CES, he said the team wanted to focus development on the new G-Series (that Gallery TV you might’ve seen in our coverage).

AFAIK, the reason not to make one this year isn’t based on any pre-existing issues but more that LG decided it couldn’t innovate it enough to warrant a new model.

I would’ve included all this in the OLED article, but most of it was told to me on background and wasn’t something I could write about. But I’m happy to share it with anyone who’s curious.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone, probably with typos."

So, if this is true, it not only makes sense, but makes me feel a lot better about it.
I can see that if they arent going to add features to it you cant get on the B or the C then who is going to buy this tv?
Most budget minded customers would not, unless sale prices brought the prices so close together that it was worth it for some to buy the E over the others for not only sound, and glass design but say, a gen 3 processor, or 3d option, or some other feature that wold separate it from the others.
So that is what I found out.
Really pleased you got an answer and I'm sure you will love your new E9

lumper

I too am glad to have heard this even if it is hearsay.
It makes sense to me, and I cant wait to get the tv here and set it up.

I was looking forward to it either way, I just felt like, maybe I can find out about a problem and make a switch and avoid a headache, but since I am not hearing that anywhere and the answer I got was partly what I expected I am fine with it.

Anyway I am still very excited to set up my E9.