Why did I leave it so long before dropping Sky??

JamesP1701

We;ve been with Sky for 14 years, just on their normal HD Entertainment package.

We're about to move house and have decided that now is the time to leave them: we don't really use anywhere near half the extra channels, I have consistently been disappointed with the fact that it's not an on demand service (ie you have to wait for it to download) and the picture quality is so variable.

I've been looking at BT with which you get Now TV. Anyway, cut a long story short, I've just finished the one week free trial of NOW TV: why didn't I realise how good this was before?!? The picture quality is much better than Sky, it's On Demand and we have the key channels we only really used on Sky. Plus, it'll end up cheaper.

That all said, I am still open to TV alternatives if anyone can recommend any.

With thanks.

StefanBFC

Don't understand really how Now TV can even come close to Sky's PQ. Ain't it native 1080p?
I've never understood the Sky PQ bashing, I've got Amazon, Netflix, Disney, 4k UHD Player, BT. Sky's PQ quality especially the HDR content is up there with the best I've seen.

Also, if your a sports fan, Sky is top of the league.

zAndy1

Distinguished Member

Sky's HD content is invariably very poor (soft), compared to HD on a lot of streaming services it's nowhere near as good. Now TV with boost (so 1080p) is actually very good, at least as good as the broadcast channels. Sure you don't get any 4k content on Now TV but there's plenty of other options for that

bingodisco

Don't understand really how Now TV can even come close to Sky's PQ. Ain't it native 1080p?
I've never understood the Sky PQ bashing, I've got Amazon, Netflix, Disney, 4k UHD Player, BT. Sky's PQ quality especially the HDR content is up there with the best I've seen.

Also, if your a sports fan, Sky is top of the league.
That's the key thing here - sports. I agree that that if you're into sports then the Sky platform is definitely worth investing in. The variety of what is available seems to be vast and much of it in UHD or very high quality HD transmissions. The problem is, I'm not into sports at all and the quality of everything else does vary dramatically.
I've seen for myself that a decent 1080P Now TV stream is easily as good, if not better than what Sky Q outputs, particularly when my TV does the upscaling. Most HD drama series on Sky Atlantic look better via the NowTV app on my 4K Firestick than via the Sky Q box. Sky's native UHD HDR non-sport content just isn't in the same league as a 4K Netflix, Prime, Apple TV, Disney+ or UHD Blu-Ray. It's blatantly obvious to my eyes on my TV.
Everyone's perception of picture quality is different of course - we all have different TVs set up in different ways. We all watch different things. Sky is still up there when it comes to sport, but for everything else it really isn't in the same league.
If it wasn't for the rest of the family I'd dump Sky Q in a heartbeat.

StefanBFC

I honestly can't agree, but like you said everybody's set-ups are different. Literally every streaming content I get does not come close to Sky's HDR. I do get poor Internet speeds though.
More content, better PQ, no1 for sports. Formula 1 in UHD is absolutely superb. Sky nature on HDR to is excellent. Obviously you need the Gen3 Q box to get it.
I wish they'd catch up with Vision though.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom