1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did I buy a new phone?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by ad47uk, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I got myself a Motrola v547 a few weeks back to replace my old Sendo, I have never seen such a crap phone.

It is bulky, heavy, quiet and worse of all the battery standby life is awful.

I should have listened to myself and got a simple phone.
    I thought Motorola was suppose to make good phones.

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

2. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855

err.. NO.

3. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    So I noticed,

4. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Have tried them all now I think.

Sony/Siemens/Samsung/Nokia/XDA/Motorola/NEC

To be honest Nokia's are still the easy option, simple to use and generally decent battery life..only thing is my god are they dull.

IMHO I'd say it's if you want a decent phone that's interesting you need to go for either a Sony or Samsung nowadays.

But Motorola's are the worst!

5. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    In order of preference.

Sony Ericsson - Nokia - Sagem - Motorola - Siemens

Siemens, especially the MC60 and the CFX65, are by far the worst. By far. Not even Motorola are that bad. They may be first with newer technologies (Quad Band etc) but they don't have a clue what to do with them.

6. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I wish I went for a Nokia now, I had a 3310 and that was a good phone. If my Sendo did not fail I would still be using it. It may have been cheap, but it worked well. I wish now I had got hold of another one.

Oh well we learn our lesson, even if it did cost me nearly £100. I blame my mate, he have a Motorola, which is almost the same but is for Vodafone only and he thinks it is great. so I got my Motorola because he recomended it.

I will listen to myself in future.

7. Dubster

Dubster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Probably the worse phone i had was a motorola and close second was sagem.
    With nokia you really cant go wrong with them,SE mostly great phones and the only siemens worth getting are the top end stuff.

8. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Moto V525; fantastic phone. Awesome screen, good battery life, perfect bluetooth implentation. The V547 just adds video recording into the mix.

I think you have a duff phone, maybe a bad battery? And you can't knock a phone for being "bulky", because you definitely knew the size of it before you boght it.

Nokia generally make bland, uninspiring phones. Motorola phones are generally fine, although the cameras tend to be relatively poor. SE; can't really comment as I haven't used many. Siemens are generally pretty rubbish, except for their top end products.

Mototola have one BIG advantage on the UI though - shortcuts to anything, to a level that other manufacturers should try. All of you that knock Moto - what problems have they had?

9. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Nokia have their Go To menu system, which I find easier to use that the Motorola to be honest. I just despise the whole Motorola Operating System in general. I find it to be clunky, unresponsive, unintuiative and slow.

10. skap7309

skap7309

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i swapped my excellent nokia 6100 at the end of last year for a sharp t100, a truly s*** phone and subsiquently stopped buying credit, stopped using texts stopped using it in general............... battery life is still appaling even though its more or less redundant and has since broken :mad: after very light use! :suicide:

buying a k750i in a few weeks, v. long overdue!

11. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Goto is just plain clunky. On the Moto, find an option you want (my fave example being Bluetooth, power on). Press and hold the menu key. Then you can select what key you want it assigned to as a shortcut - eg. 3. Then, pressing menu/3 allows you to switch bluetooth on. Have something similar for bluetooth being switched off.

On my Motos (E398, T720, V525 and V300), none are particularly slow or unresponsive (although the camera on the V300 is totally craptastic).

12. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,044
    on the newer Nokia Series 60 phones, you can either have 5 shortcuts at the top of the screen which you can get to with a quick click, or you can get to 5 shortcuts by pressing up/down/left/right/select. + the two softkeys gives you 7 shortcuts on the idle screen - all can be customised.

13. clonmult

clonmult

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But not to the same level as on the Moto UI. On the Nokias, you can't have a shortcut that will switch bluetooth off, or jump to a specific URL - you can do that on the motos.

Anyways, each to their own.

14. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Motorola phones are truly the most god awful phones on the planet in my opinion.

I've used a few, inclduing their 3G models and the T720i. They just can't seem to get their UI right, even their new V3 is rubbish.

Nokia and Sony Ericsson are MUCH better, I wouldn't touch a motorola phone if it was given to me for free, I'd regard it as torture! Even Samsung who are relatively new to the mobile phone market piddle over the UI of Moto phones from the peaks of mount Everest.

Sorry, rant over, I apologise if I've offended anyone, but the level of infuriation the moto O/S's have caused me in the past caused it :)

15. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It is just the battery that is annoying me. I thought it may have been a faulty battery, but I tried one from my mates Motrola for a week and it was doing the same thing. so I thought maybe it is the phone, so I did a search on Google for the V547 and found out that the standby time was not good.

All the flashy things I am not worried about, Bluetooth is always turned off, I do not really have a need for it.

I went into the O2 shop and she told me to try a few things and if that did not work, bring the phone back and they will send it away to be fixed.

No way, if there is a problem with the phone, I will want a replacement or my money back, but they are not going to fix it.

for some reason, unless I am imagining it, the battery life is getting a little better.

16. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    They are communications tools. Why do they need to inspire you? All they need to do is work and be easy enough for the average person to use without too much brainwork (since they don't have much of a brain to work, IME).

17. ad47uk

ad47uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6

That is not nice. Not everyone wants a phone that will sing and dance for them.

As you said yourself, they are comunication devices, but mobile phone manufactures are putting more rubbish on them, thinking that is what we need.