1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did BBC1 analogue sound FAR more impressive than the digital version??

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by zsaddique, Jan 25, 2002.

1. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night, when preparing my system for the Indiana Jones film I decided to play around with the connections...

Out of curiousity, I decided to disconnect the R & L phono leads going from my Pace digibox (for NTL digital) and plug it into the same sockets on the VCR. Doing this would allow the amp (which is built in to my Sony DAV S300) to process the sound signal coming from the aerial, rather than the signal from NTL digital.

Now, for some strange reason (possibly due to the audio signal being Nicam Stereo rather than Pro Logic?), the second I plugged these cables into the VCR the speakers "came alive". In fact, as the movie started the rear speakers seemed like they were playing a DVD... it was that much better!!

Can someone explain why this happened? I was under the impression that the Pro Logic signal from NTL Digital would be much better than the Nicam Stereo coming from an analogue channel.

All ears! ;)

Zahid

2. HeadBanger

HeadBanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +262
    Both broadcasters would have broadcast the same soundtrack (ie Dolby Stereo / Pro Logic). The difference in sound quality you perceived was probably down to the severe compression (both audio and visual) applied on digital broadcasts!

I much prefer an analogue picture and nicam sound compared to the new digital broadcasts. The digital pictures are blocky (the 'lego' effect) and the sound muddy (relative to the NICAM equivalent).

3. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You reckon, eh? :D

It's time like these I wish I still had analogue cable. Didn't have half the problems I have now with digital! :(

Thanks for replying.

Zahid

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too prefer the NICAM sound to that from my Sony idtv or my PACE digibox. But I am not prepared to give up the anamorphic, widescreen picture that these give in return. Unfortunately, you can't seem to mix and match because there is a long delay between the two sources so that you get massive lip-synch problems. Or does anybody know a way of getting the best of both worlds?

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was begining to suspect this of Sky Digital as well. Sky Digital picture is far superior to my analogue picture (even though I have a modern Aerial).

However If I am watching analogue because I am videoing some changing rooms rubbish for the other half it seems that the sound has a wider frequency spectrum, (more bass at least).

Same issue if I video off analogue and watch it later.

As Timodell says time differences dont allow analogue sound with digital picture.

I am off to investigate some more.
    Rog

6. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Interesting......

I use a Pace 735 ITV Digital Box at present for most of my TV viewing - mainly because of 16x9, and I invariably route the sound from Sci Fi shows (eg Stargate, Enterprise, et al) via my Denon 3801 in DTS Neo:6 mode.

I find the surround effects on these series to be more than adequate and virtually indistinguishable from their NICAM equivalents. Neo:6 is far superior to Prologic 1; so much so that I don't feel motivated to upgrade the amp to one with Prologic 2.

7. zsaddique

zsaddique

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well Nigel.. some people just don't have the cash for a lovely Denon 3801 (or the physical space to put one)!! :D

8. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    the upgrade for the denon will allow you to adjust for lip syncs! realistically though, i have cable and always watch broadcasts via analouge when possible:D

9. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I couldn't watch the movie on Thursday night due to the sound being so bad. Picture wasn't up to much either and when your in an area that has a very bad analogue signal I'm left with little choice but to suffer the bad Sky transmission.

The problem with the sound appeared to be a very low centre channel on my system (using DP2 then trying DP1). Switching between BBC1 and Sky Movies highlighted the very poor sound coming from the BBC channel. Funny thing, the BBC "adverts" after the movie sounded great???

I just put it down to another bad transfer, like Raiders was (didn't see Temple due to power cut!!!)

10. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some more testing last night and I may have been typing B*ll*ks in my previous post. Due to various Videoing issues last night I watched Inspector Morse on Analogue ITV1. Now I realise this is from the Mid 80s but the sound was not good. Using my AVC-A11SR with DPL2 it was bearable. Putting the THX post processing on and it seemed to fix the "positioning" of the dialogue but it was still variable.

After videoing something else on Sky went back to Sky Digital and the sound was clearer.

I agree with alanrob Indiana Jones in Dolby Stereo on thursday was pretty murky on Sky and analogue (hope they fix this for DVD release). Again applying THX to DPL2 did seem to help a bit.

I am going to investigate more but I think my issue maybe my Sony TV vs My Panasonic Digibox as an analogue sound source. They basically sound different. Panasonic emphasizes mid to high range and Sony lower frequencies.

Anybody know anything about Sky Digital sound processing?

Rog