1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why component over RGB?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by alanfcross, Mar 2, 2005.

1. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get the impression, on this Forum at least, that component is "the thing". Clearly anything that throws information away (eg composite) is going to be inferior, but why do I get the impression that component is preferred over RGB, when one is a straight 3-wire transform of the other? If your plasma takes in component, it will have to transform this to RGB to drive the panel. Are the signals actually very similar in quality? Is it more a matter of the connector? The peritel connector hardly looks impedance matched, so perhaps this is the weak link with RGB? Would RGB be as good as component if it were shipped around through three BNCs? Looking for some informed enlightenment!

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    Alan: The signal on a DVD is digital component. The signal sent through digital free view and Sky Satellite is digital component. Obviously if these get transformed to RGBcomposite Sync they go through a colourspace transformation. As you say RGB to YPrPb is a lossless conversion if done properly...but is it always done properly.....and is the transformation back always done correctly...after all, although panels are driven RGB the processing in them will be done in digital component domain so more transforms occur....ideally we want to limit all these conversions as much as possible to limit potential of errors...

You are correct that component is not always best. though....but that's more to do with some devices and some sources...

Gordon

3. zachUK

zachUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My current set-up is a Panasonic TH37PW4B with Telewest digital cable from a Pace STB. I have a mains-powered SCART to RGBHV cable to go from the STB to the RGBHV inputs on the plasma. I'm quite happy with the picture quality but I wonder if it would be better if I converted the RGB signal to component (Y/Cb/Cr or Y/Pb/Pr) or is that just introducing an unnecessary colour space conversion? Is the original digital signal from Telewest component or is it RGB?

Another question actually ... the TH37PW4B can handle 480p, according to the manual (presumably available either via RGBHV or component). Would I see any significant difference if I were to get a progressive scan DVD player (as compared to a conventional DVD player)?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,784
    Well....the signal being broadcast is digital component....so as close to that as possible out of display is what you want......unless of course the stb has errors in its voltage levels for the RGB channels.....anyone with red, green or blue push on their rgb to component convertor?.....in which case you may actually get a nicer image going component from a convertor and using the colour controls in plasma to reduce saturation for a more pleasing image....unfortunately you don;t know which is best until you try both....sorry...

Gordon

5. alanfcross

alanfcross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gordon,
    Thanks for your input on this.
    So we are really talking about just colour space errors? Noise and bandwidth I think should be about the same. We don't want to go up and down the analogue hill too often. but, given that much of this kit delivers analogue RGB and not digital component, we're stuck with the first D/A conversion and all its errors. Given that, I can't see that it makes any sense to convert from analogue RGB to analogue component before delivering to the plasma, which will promptly return it to analogue RGB! Perhaps I've misunderstood the context in which component was preferred.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a lot is to do with how a device copes with different signals (some are real stinkers with RGB scart which is done badly at both the source and display end of certain devices) using the best signal for your equipment is the best idea (trial and error to an extent) so its not as clear cut as it may seem a display coupled to a source could look better via composite than compaonent under the right (read wrong) conditions.......Panasonic make some kit that is crap with RGB scart..........(PD30 CRT looks better with S-video!)