1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why cant they set them up

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by gpc1, Nov 29, 2004.

Tags:
  1. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in bluewater at the weekend :eek: ( dont ever do it unless you have to.....its a jungle out there :suicide: ) and called in to John Lewis to check out the LCD/Plasmas. Now ive whittled my choice down to the Sharp gA4e, Toshiba 32wl48, and Hitachi 32pd5300.

Had a look at them expecting to be blown away by PQ ect after reading the forums. I couldnt believe how rubbish they looked. Fast action images were blurry, colours were horrible and overall i was very dissapointed. But, due to reading the forum i knew it surely couldnt be the fault of the TV's as they wouldnt come so highly recommended.

So why cant they get them set up properly. Surely it would make sense for the sales staff to spend a few minutes ensuring that PQ is at its utmost. I find it very frustrating as after feeling that i was on my way to a purchase i have now been put off by the PQ of the screens on display.

Is there anyone in the essex ( near billericay) area who would let me have a look at there screen so i can get a a true idea of its capabilities, or recommend a retailer who would have them set up 'properly'. The shops at this time of year are hot, overcrowded and too hectic for a sales staff to spend enough time with one customer showing the screens capabilities. Even my girlfiend, who could shop all day, had had enough and wasnt impessed with the ' dotty' screen.

Many Thanks
    Gpc

2. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It amazes me that stores like Dixons, Currys et al ever sell a LCD or plasma TV. As you rightly point out they are always set up looking terrible, usually playing Neighbours or some other daytime TV from one analogue source through about 30 displays, and usually with it set up for widescreen viewing with a 4:3 source.
    It drives me madbut then its mostly staffed by chimps.

3. Skiny

Skiny
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, it's crazy. If it were me, I'd have some high definition video playing through the best possible connections.

It would help if they had decent prices, but even they're a joke.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Problem is, as stated previous, they are mostly staffed by chimps. One example is when I went in to look at the Hitachi 28LD5200. The picture was crap and so I asked them to connect it to a DVD player via RGB SCART. He came back with a DVD player, SCART cable and a set of component cable and asked if I would like to view SCART or RGB first. When I told him that the SCART does the RGB and the Component cable is for something completely different, he tried arguing that component is RGB because the 3 colours on the cables are Red, Green and Blue. Obviously nothing to do to with just matching the colours correctly when installing. (I know the Hitachi can take RGB through component but when he did set it up like that, I had to go into the menu myself and change it over. He also put the component and SCART cables in together which caused a conflict).

I am wondering if a new business venture of Home Cinema store would take off. Kind of like an independent Hi Fi store that stocks virtually every amp and speaker pair but just for flat panel TVs, projecters, AV amps and surround sound. I know Sevenoaks do something similar, but the one local never has any stock and not much of a selection either.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    guys you are indeed correct but joe bloggs TV buyer doesnt give a rats ass I have been there done that and been squashed by an MD that wouldn't let me take the proper cables out of the wrappers........ (my argument if we dont use them how can we sell them) but currys DSG are even worse!

6. gnudi

gnudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If shops did use the best inputs for demo maybe some average customers would be very disapointed when coming back home seeing something very bad on their system (that could easily happen) and could be quite angry and ask for refund...
    At the contrary if the customer has , either as good (who said bad?) either better when he comes home , he will be happy...

I agree that it doesnt provide the good cards for comparing though ...

7. pacman

pacman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Yesterday I bought a Philips from Tower Electrical, Stadium Way, Rayleigh.

Phoned Saturday and asked for a demo, told them I would bring my own portable DVD although they provided one anyway! Spent about 45 minutes playing familiar scenes on Star Wars and Pirate of the Caribbean and trying out various settings.

The salesman and I were soon joined by two or three other staff who wanted to watch. Although the salesman was not completely familiar with all the features of the TV, he was very helpful and allowed me to 'play' as long as I wanted.

Having read the magazine reviews and all the comments on this forum, all I really wanted to do was check picture at various viewing distances to satisfy myself it was what I wanted.

8. Judders

Judders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    During my recent quest for an LCD, I popped into Comet to check out the 32PF9866. Wasn't surprised to find Neighbours playing via an analogue source.

I asked for the screen to be hooked up to a decent DVD and if I could have the remote so I could 'play'. Was told by the 'assistant' (arguable in my opinion) that I couldn't as they didn't have the remotes. When I pushed the point, he confessed that they put all the remotes for the TV's on display into one drawer and it would take him ages to find. Well lets not bother then eh?! :mad:

When I asked him how I could be expected to spend £2~£3k on a TV without actually demo'ing it, he just shrugged his shoulders! As you can imagine, I didn't buy my LCD from Comet. Amazes me how they stay in business?! :confused:

9. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,499
    would echo everything said here.

Visited Currys and Comet not so long ago to see a Hitachi 32PD5200.

Currys - total joke. They must lose thousands on not getting sales due to a: high prices and b: people put off by the awful picture quality.

Cannot belive the powers that be at these places do not realise what they are doing..

Comet, at least they had it hooked up to a PS dvd player with Monster Component cables (although the cables were in the wrong sockets!)

It was an actual split tv ariel feed that was being shown at the time though...

Beggers belief these companies.

10. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    some of you really need to take into account a few things its very rare to find a shop that is displaying the perfect picture you need to consider .

where is the audio and tv dept ?? top floor middle floor or basement?
    they usually only have one rooftop arial feeding however many sets through a booster
    then you have all the electrical inteference from other souces within the building
    all tv,s come out of the box on manufacturers settings which are usualy up the wall as we all know (brightness on full and so on)

then you have to remember that everyone is an individual so we all like our pictures to look different so i could change the picture to my taste but it may not be a good picture for someone else??
    and skinny if you did display high def video you would be the first as you cant get high def vhs surley you meant high def dvd?? "dont work for comet do you " :rotfl: plus to display high def you will need a panal capable of doing it and there isnt many out there and would you want high def with or without scaling ?? if you had a pioneer plasma are you sure you could run it in high def maybe not ?? seen as pioneer will only supply their high def dvd to pioneer works retailers and currys and jlewis arnt included in that, yes when you buy you should be allowed to play with the settings and everyone has the remotes avialable it just depends if they think your a timewaster or not as in this industry you get an awfull lot of people just passing the time of day and yes i do agree that some stores dont have fully trained staff but then at this time of year their are loads of xmas temps about and maybe their just trying their best we all had to start somewhere didnt we so some guildlines when your shopping are ?

1,no-where has the perfect signal
    2,most staff will accomodate a genuine request
    3,if you know more than the sales person dont be afraid to share your knowledge with them
    4, if you think their talkin crap then ask for someone else
    5,just coz your spending 5 grand it doesnt make you god
    6, be polite if the sales person thinks your ok he will get the remote for you to play with ,connect his best dvd player/recorder and use the best cables to connect it,
    7 if you being arsy you wont get a thing
    8, dont go slating everyone untill you have all the facts because if you were in possession of all the facts then this thread wouldnt have started

please feel free to correct me or make any comments :thumbsup:

11. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alscds,

Do you work for an electrical department store ?

12. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    erm nope not really by saying electrical retailer you are assuming thats all we sell so the correct answer would definaitly be no. i wouldnt get out of bed for what currys/comet pay

13. gpc1

gpc1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :laugh: :laugh: :clap: :clap: :smashin:

Dont work for curry's do you???? ( only kiddin)

seriosly, the point i was tring to make is if i were a sales rep from one of the manufacturers i would show how best to display my products. Im not blaming, just venting frustration at yet again, in rip off britain, there seems to be a lack of service level. I know the guys in stores probably couldnt give a toss if a bought a tv set or not and im not having a pop at them. Its also nothing to do with the fact i have 5k in my pocket and think im god ( i dont have the first and i im definately not the second...so my girlfriend tells me :blush: ), im just pointing out the shared frustration of many at the fact that its probably more the manufacturers fault. I wonder what they would think if they new how many sales were lost due to poor set up.
    IMHO

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    so where do you work?

Electronics reps dont give a a rats ass they are there to hit targets normally by discounting not how you get great in store displays...manufacturer training is all a sales pitch promotion no training just sell our stuff. chain stores dont product train staff there is only one UK course i can think of that is independant and is based on quality and thats the CEDIA HC installer course.

15. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    c,mon horny surly you have figured that out by now??

and yes i do agree with you reps only want you to sell their products they dont tell you what settings to put there stuff on and i would agree with you again horny that cedia is possibly the best place to go to but would our eployers pay for it it would we have to do it ourselves?? not that i work for the same company as you coz i dont i for one am the first to admit i dont know everything i have learnt from trawling this forum and of course im just interested in it which really is the key if you find somewhere where the staff treat it as an interest rather than just a job then your halfway there look at horny on here 24/7 obsessed or just plain interested in it??? but boy does he know his stuff gpc1 i wasnt havin a go i was just getting my point across much like you were . now about those high def videos think theres a bloke on the market sellin them

16. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Then if you don't work at an Electrical Department Store you must work at a Department Store that has an Electrical Department in it. Hmmmmmm....

Thing is, it's not even a case of one person needs to know everything about everything in the department. If I went in to Currys or PETER JONES and ask someone in the fridge department about a TV, they would pass me over to a TV person. I would then think that these people are the best people to talk to when purcashing a TV and when I say best, that should also mean helpful because he should know his department like the back of his hand or know someone who does.

Now, when I was in JOHN LEWIS, it took me 10 minutes before a sales guy actually came up to to ask whether I needed help. They were not busy and a group of them were just stood around nattering. I asked if they had a GA3 I could demo and he hadn't heard of one. I told him that it was on the website and he said it must be new stock, we'll be getting them in soon I'd suppose.

For a sales guy in JOHN LEWIS who are supposed regard themselves as knowledgable and helpful, I got quite a raw deal and if JOHN LEWIS can't give that level of service, then what chance have most people walking into Currys or DDDDDixons ?

Incidently, after chatting with the guy in the TV department at the Bentalls centre in Kingston I found he does know his stuff and while I was there he was setting up a huge Plasma (50" JVC I think but could be wrong) and he actually cared for the fact he couldn't get a brilliant picture and was messing around with the brightness, contrast etc. That's what I call confidence boosting. Unfortunately they didn't have the LCD I wanted :(

Richie.

17. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can see why you where frustrated. JOHN LEWIS staff do not approach customers they are however supposed to acknowledge them, yes grouping can be a problem when theres a quiet spell as it would be a problem in any other industry1 im sure you to are guilty of this ?? and i do get fed up with having to tell customers " look its all down to signal thats why the pictures sh**e" not in those words though it sounds like im already making an excuse. and obviously the muppet you spoke to should maybe look for a new job possibly mcdonalds would suit him more , i would have replied
    "yes heres the sharp 32" ga3 we also do the titanium gd1e 32" and 37" and the new 45" will be in shortley unfortunatly all the pictures are sh**e coz they are all sharing the the same sh***y signal but i can put on a high def video for you . oooops ! i meant to say i can attach a dvd to it for you " see customer service doesnt cost a penny

18. aspender

aspender
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Erm, apologies if I am wrong, but DVD does not have the capacity or bitrate to handle hi-def at the moment, until HD-DVD or Blu-Ray come along. However, there is D-VHS which is a hi-def source. Even though it's uncommon in the UK, it's currently the only way to get HD pics, unless you are using a PC playing HD WMV files, or have the £800 HD satellite receiver that can only get some demo channels at the moment.

19. richjthorpe

richjthorpe
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it was a quiet spell but this was on a late night Thursday opening. Can't really say that I am guilty of grouping, the kitchen isn't big enough ! :)

At least you are honest about the signal and can offer attaching a DVD player to it to show the true picture. I would much rather someone talk straight telling me correct reasons why and what for instead of being fobbed off by someone who's getting paid to know about these things.

Can I print that line on a T-Shirt and wear it next time I got into a department store ? :D

Guess you don't work at the Kingston branch. ;)

Richie.

20. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't really say that I am guilty of grouping, the kitchen isn't big enough !

yeah but i bet theres times when you have no cheques on no ones around and you stand there havin a chat eatin and havin a beverage of somesorts

please note that the underlined should not be done its against food hygeine regulations and is in breach of your haccps program :smashin:

21. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as far as im aware you are not wrong i didnt know about d-vhs but tell me if im wrong you need a machine capable of playing it?? however pioneer do have 2 dvd high def players and 1 high def dvd recorder which is due for release dec04/jan05 although again may i say that there isnt many panels that produce true high def without scaling so if d-vhs is out there wot has it been used on ???

http://www.jvc-victor.co.jp/english/products/vcr/D-VHS-e.html

http://www.dvhsmovie.com/home.asp

high def recorder ???? for recording from high def signal

22. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    i do get sensitive....:blush: its a pity cause utter muppets are selling kit they dont understand or care about which really annoys me....

23. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.Dixons and comet etc have no idea about how to sell plasmas and LCD's.

Everbody who comes to my house be it delivery men/plumbers/friends etc every single one of them coments on how good the picture is on my Panasonic PWD4 42" using SKY+v2... they all go on to comment 'they dont look like that in currys... I was looking at buying one but was put off by the picture.So if their is anybody from currys/dixons reading this...its not the price putting people off its the awful picture...and probably the gimpy chavs you have working for you...

check these people out if you want the right info...

www.acton-gate.com

24. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    may i appologise i didnt know about d-vhs but i do now :blush:

25. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    D-VHs needs to be imported as not officially sold in UK.......need a JVC pro account to get the decks in UK and they are £££££