Why can't my DVD player play +R discs without stuttering sometimes? (Sony DAV SB100)

Paul MC007

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi there

Just a question that has got me wondering the following...

I have a Sony Home Theatre DVD player set up - model DAV SB100.

Upon reading the manual it makes no reference to it being able to play +r or +RW discs. It does however mention -r/-rw as being playable.

However, I have played +rw discs with no problems on this machine - the only problem I have is with some +R discs. I have noticed that on some +r discs that after about halfway through the disc the machine seems to "stutter" and keep pausing then continuing/pausing etc..

Does anyone know why this happens? I guess as the manual makes no reference to the "+" discs (r/rw) that it is not supposed to play them, but as I say, no problems what so ever with +rw discs, but some +R (on some cheaper media I must admit - like Mr DVD and Budget) seem to stutter about half way in or towards the end of the disc - these do seem to play fine on the DVD recorder that I have (Sony GX300)

Any help on this appreciated

Thanks - just curious why I might get probs with +R discs. Could it be to do with varying recording speeds used on various titles before finalising? Could it be to do with cheaper media??? (It works fine on some + R discs)

Cheers

Paul Cooksley said:
...but some +R (on some cheaper media I must admit - like Mr DVD and Budget) seem to stutter about half way in or towards the end of the disc...
This is most likely your problem. Crap discs give this sort of unpredictability, especially towards the end of the disc where the angular rotation is greatest.

If you have a PC + DVD-ROM or rewriter then you can look at the media code. Otherwise stick to Verbatim or Ricoh for your +Rs.

Try burning at a slower speed. Try 2x rather than 4x or 8x.

Yes, it would help to clarify whether these aberrant recordings were made on a standalone DVDR (1x), or a PC rewriter (2.4 - 16x).

Hi there again

Sorry, these +R recordings were mostly made on DVD Recorders (stand alone)....

I do suspect the media involved actually, as Mr DVD and Budget are crap makes aren't they? (I didn't buy them, I was given them!!!)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom