1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't my DVD player play +R discs without stuttering sometimes? (Sony DAV SB100)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Paul Cooksley, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there

Just a question that has got me wondering the following...

I have a Sony Home Theatre DVD player set up - model DAV SB100.

Upon reading the manual it makes no reference to it being able to play +r or +RW discs. It does however mention -r/-rw as being playable.

However, I have played +rw discs with no problems on this machine - the only problem I have is with some +R discs. I have noticed that on some +r discs that after about halfway through the disc the machine seems to "stutter" and keep pausing then continuing/pausing etc..

Does anyone know why this happens? I guess as the manual makes no reference to the "+" discs (r/rw) that it is not supposed to play them, but as I say, no problems what so ever with +rw discs, but some +R (on some cheaper media I must admit - like Mr DVD and Budget) seem to stutter about half way in or towards the end of the disc - these do seem to play fine on the DVD recorder that I have (Sony GX300)

Any help on this appreciated

Thanks - just curious why I might get probs with +R discs. Could it be to do with varying recording speeds used on various titles before finalising? Could it be to do with cheaper media??? (It works fine on some + R discs)

Cheers

2. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    This is most likely your problem. Crap discs give this sort of unpredictability, especially towards the end of the disc where the angular rotation is greatest.

If you have a PC + DVD-ROM or rewriter then you can look at the media code. Otherwise stick to Verbatim or Ricoh for your +Rs.

3. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Try burning at a slower speed. Try 2x rather than 4x or 8x.

4. musukebba

musukebba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes, it would help to clarify whether these aberrant recordings were made on a standalone DVDR (1x), or a PC rewriter (2.4 - 16x).

5. Paul Cooksley

Paul Cooksley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Hi there again

Sorry, these +R recordings were mostly made on DVD Recorders (stand alone)....

I do suspect the media involved actually, as Mr DVD and Budget are crap makes aren't they? (I didn't buy them, I was given them!!!)