Why can't i see HD vids..

clarky78

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just downloaded a few windows HD demos and sky HD demos and my 360 cant see them, just says files not there. Tried through video player and media centre, what am i missing?

Can stream my music and all other videos fine.

what codecs are the hd files?

they have to be WMV or TS files

You need to install a program on your pc called hdpump or hdtvpump (can never remember the proper name!)

Why is that? because I dont have either of those programs installed and I can stream WMVHD files just fine from my XP computer to my 360.

OK, they are WMV files, but it just doesn't see them. I have followed another thread and burnt them to DVD+RW as a data file and they play fine, so why the hell can't i stream them...!

Do you have them in the correct folder on your PC? because I couldnt get my videos to show up until I specified the folder they were in.

Why is that? because I dont have either of those programs installed and I can stream WMVHD files just fine from my XP computer to my 360.

Required for .ts files.

Yes they are in the correct place on the harddrive, it see's the folder for them, but it's says the folders empty.

Do a file properties check to determine what codecs the files are using, the bitrate and any other information you can gather from them and then post here. (try gspot)

what error do you get when you try to play them? or can u just not see the HD files?

can u see all other wmv files?

what are the file extensions? .wmv? .ts?

Can see other files, these just don't appear. Says no files found in the folder.

they are .WMV files. They are the ones you downlaad from the Windows website.

The bit rate is 6433kbps

It doesn't say the file extension, but says they are windows media audio/video files.

Can see other files, these just don't appear. Says no files found in the folder.

they are .WMV files. They are the ones you downlaad from the Windows website.

The bit rate is 6433kbps

It doesn't say the file extension, but says they are windows media audio/video files.

so u are sure they are wmv files ?

are u using xp or media center?

i have had this before, i managed to get the 360 to see the files by moving them out of the folder then putting them back.

this happens to me if i download files directly to "my videos" everytime, so now i download them to a different location then move them to "my videos"

HAHAHAHAHA

I DONT BELIEVE IT

i've now got the same problem

i cant see any video files in media center

im going to go about my fix and if it works ill let u know what i did

(my problem happened because i renamed my media center pc to media1 - 360 couldnt see it right - would get to the extender but only seeing old folders etc)

so i've fun extender setup again - to reconnect 360 to see real information now

but now seeing videos...

ok im all fixed

i had to do some registry editing :-(

i went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

here you will see a list of all your file types

if one doesnt exist just create one

right click - (right click on HKEY FOLDER) then new key

If the file does exist find it

make sure u have the following key in the base of the folder for the file extension

PERCEIVEDTYPE REG_SZ video

if this does not exist then create it

right click on the file (i.e .wmv) and create new string

it will open a empty string in the right hand menu

name it PerceivedType (no spaces)

then enter

then open the string and give it the value : VIDEO

do this for all video formats you would like media center/360 to see

sorted

Just downloaded a few windows HD demos and sky HD demos and my 360 cant see them, just says files not there. Tried through video player and media centre, what am i missing?

Can stream my music and all other videos fine.

so clarke my fellow Notts Man, make sure you have "hide all known file extensions disabled " go to windows explorer = then tools = Folder Options = view then hidden files / folders and remove tick from "Hide extensions for known file types

when u go back to your file you will now see the REAL extension of it

check in registry to make sure its listed and then do as i said in previous post - should be fine then mate

PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHEN EDITING THE REGISTRY!!!

ok im all fixed

i had to do some registry editing :-(

i went to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT

here you will see a list of all your file types

if one doesnt exist just create one

right click - (right click on HKEY FOLDER) then new key

If the file does exist find it

make sure u have the following key in the base of the folder for the file extension

PERCEIVEDTYPE REG_SZ video

if this does not exist then create it

right click on the file (i.e .wmv) and create new string

it will open a empty string in the right hand menu

name it PerceivedType (no spaces)

then enter

then open the string and give it the value : VIDEO

do this for all video formats you would like media center/360 to see

sorted

Can you explain again, but in idiot type

i.e click this then that then this then that

I lost it at : -right click on the file (i.e .wmv) and create new string

right click on what file, there are no WMV threads in my registry after creatin g ---- PERCEIVEDTYPE REG_SZ video ---- And should this have ---->video<---- text on the end?????

Sorry for coming across as a bit thick.

I did it, but havent tried it yet to see if it works. Not sure if it will help, as i can see my other .WMV files, just not my HD ones.

I did it, but havent tried it yet to see if it works. Not sure if it will help, as i can see my other .WMV files, just not my HD ones.

ok just let me know what happens

did the value already exist in the registry or not?

Awesome, I only just got round to this but it worked. Thanks Sib. :thumbsup:

One thing i wanted to do this for was to prove you can stream HD over wireless, as i have read several things saying you can't. But it works fine. Not noticed any lag or anything so far. So good news for anyone interested.

Awesome, I only just got round to this but it worked. Thanks Sib. :thumbsup:

One thing i wanted to do this for was to prove you can stream HD over wireless, as i have read several things saying you can't. But it works fine. Not noticed any lag or anything so far. So good news for anyone interested.

no worries mate

glad it worked

in fact it pretty much does work for any file format that u want media center to see

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom