why cant i play with 360 users?

cabanatuan

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi i have been wondering why cross platform games such has cod4 and vegas2 doesnt allow 360 users to play againts ps3 users.

i find this feature needed realy badly. if not for this gen. wont it be fun for us to play with our 360 buddies on cod4?battlefield bad company?

why cant sony and MS allow for such online intergration or is it entirely up to the devs? they already can get ps2 to play againts pc users on the old pro evo games and now 360 users can play against pc users in certain games but why not ps3 and 360?

is it because of LIVE and psn? cant they find a common ground and link it together minus the in built features that LIVE and PSN have?

Becuase it's difficult for them to implement a crossover between xbl and psn. They're two completely different systems and a feature like that would have to have been built whilst the services were still on the drawing board.

Xboxlive users are able to play against players on certain games for windows-based games. This is because microsoft are running them.

Also, judging by the amount of rabid fanboys on the internet, I doubt having an integrated online system this generation would be beneficial. It would widen the rift further.

A similar system was in place with certain games on the dreamcast (quake III arena had some servers where you could play against pc players) and also the mmo final fantasy xi has/had servers where ps2, pc and xbox users could all be in the same world as one another.

I agree with MajorZero. If a game implemented its own multiplayer system on its own network, then it would be possible. Getting XBL to talk to PSN is a bit like getting Iran to accept USAF flights through its airspace.

It is highly feasible to implement, its not very difficult at all. As a simplistic example, you can use Yahoo Messenger and talk to friends who use MSN Live Messenger.

I would suspect its far more likely that marketshare and money are the factors as to why we can't play online games cross platform.

I would imagine that the protocols used are going to be the same regardless of the 'network' that the game is talking to. I am guessing that it is more likely how you 'link up' with those other players rather than the actual playing element that is locked out.

In my analogy above, you could easily fly a plane over Iranian airspace, but being told the airfield you could land at would not be forthcoming...

I would love to play against ps3 players on a game ( 360 owner)
I think there are money issues though. Dont really think MS & Sony want to get into a tangle of who pays for what when supporting games.

You want to buy the new killer game, Im assuming you have neither the ps3 or 360 & take all other issues out of play:
a: software costs pretty simalar say £40
b: 360 is cheaper but have to fork out £40 per year online fees, PS3 dearer but no future fees.

A lot of my friends have gone for the 360 for the reason of price, cheaper initial buy, simalar quality games ( lets ont go there!) & they can buy the addons they need in future pay packs - Gold & wireless as the standard 360 with its free month membership & wired access is enough to get you gaming online. TBH I think MS has the edge on this one.

Id love to see games where say thr 360/ps3 owners get access to specific sets of equipment above the standard or on a mmorp a specific race or something.

I would say the respective networks would have quite different protocols. The MSN Live services extend further than Xbox Live, there's a lot more integration with what MSN call their 'Passport'.

The Playstation Network isn't at the same level of integration, for example you cannot read your XMB messages in a web browser on your PC.

The internet protocols used would be the same, ie. how packets of data are sent from sever to client and back again, that would be standard, but what happens when data arrives at each end would be quite different for Xbox and Playstation.

Another reason to not have the same network infrastructure and underlying protocols is security, hack one system...hack them all so to speak.

One of the main problems is, PS3 v 360 play would undermine Live. One of the main draws to 360 is friends lists on Live, so if you could play all your mates on Live from your PS3 it would make the annual subscription hard to justify. Hence Microsoft aren't keen :D

Sony are generally quite open (for better or worse) with their online gaming platform. It's interesting that with games like The Agency, PS3 and PC gamers will play against each other.

IIRC UT3 was supposed to feature PS3 vs. PC play until the last minute, in fact I believe it is still on the cards and I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen eventually since the game has tanked in popularity and they probably need all the players they can get to populate the servers.

and the best thing about it is that its free to play with pc users !

If MS let developers control game networking like Sony does, it wouldnt be as much of a problem. Sony lets P2P multiplayer connection, if the game allows... However with MS everything has to go through MS servers.

MS like taxing people just to access multiplayer on a game they have already paid for to justify their unreasonably acclaimed network system, so it wont happen.... the wonders of 'live' :rolleyes:

plus with PSN being open as it is, people can create dedicates servers such has the ability to now support up to 60 players in the new resistance 2 game. name me a 360 game that can cater those sorts of numbers on a fps game

Microsoft have already tried to bridge the Console-PC gamer gap with a game called ShadowRun. If you haven't heard of it I'm not surprised, it didn't make a very big impact. But it does show that its not impossible. However, you still played via the Microsoft Live service.

CGizzi makes a good point about who will pay the overhead for running the servers. A games company might but only until their next big release I would imagine.

theblacksheep; I see what you're saying about the 'tax' but overall I think most people think the ~£40 fee is worth paying for the Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Personally, I believe the benefits of a managed service out weighs what you might get from leaving it to the game dev's/publishers to run the online servers.

plus with PSN being open as it is, people can create dedicates servers such has the ability to now support up to 60 players in the new resistance 2 game. name me a 360 game that can cater those sorts of numbers on a fps game

that's the main reason xbox live sucks. Tiny games and no dedicated maps.:boring: It's a huge step back coming from PC online gaming which is probably why I find it so unimpressive and people who don't play online pc games seem to think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread:D

Conflict, Fuels of War supported 50 on dedicated servers on XBL.

BOTH XBL and PSN use dedicated and peer-to-peer servers BTW (Call of Duty 4 is an example of peer-to-peer on both systems, however PSN has got it right by filtering by geopgraphic region to minimise lag).

They had 50 people servers also.

To be honest, I didn't like the game and had all of sorts of online issues (trying to get games etc).

Whilst some prefer larger games for free for all or team death match, I've always preferred smallers numbers and team based games.

Horses for courses I suppose.

IIRC UT3 was supposed to feature PS3 vs. PC play until the last minute, in fact I believe it is still on the cards and I'll be surprised if it doesn't happen eventually since the game has tanked in popularity and they probably need all the players they can get to populate the servers.
UT3 does allow connection with PC gamers, but you can opt out if you don't want to play against people using mouse and keyboard.

UT3 does allow connection with PC gamers, but you can opt out if you don't want to play against people using mouse and keyboard.

No way, to be honest I played for a few days and never touched it again :/ How did they get round the 20% speed decrease?

No way, to be honest I played for a few days and never touched it again :/ How did they get round the 20% speed decrease?
Not a clue tbh, only play it when i fancy a quick blast on something :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom