1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I get S-Video out of freeview?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Bonce, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi chaps, I wonder if you can help me with a tricky problem I have. Not sure if this is the right forum but I think it's probably a cabling problem.

For reference, this is the kit that I'm using:-
    Projector: Ellie XS2000
    Amp: Harman Kardon 507 LE
    DVD: Harman Kardon 506 LE
    Freeview: Pioneer DBR-TF100GB
    VCR: JVC HR-S7500 (I think!)

My projector is hooked up to my amp via a single S-Video lead so I'm using my amp to select video as well as audio signals. My VCR and DVD both have S-Video outputs so that's fine but my Pioneer freeview box only has SCART outputs.

Here's the problem: It is possible to set the Freeview box to output Composite, S-Video or RGB signals but when I connect it directly to the amp via a cable that has a SCART plug on one end and an S-Video plug on the other end I get no picture at all, no matter what output signal I select on the Freeview box. The only way I can get a picture out of the freeview box is like this:

FREEVIEW ---scart---> VCR ---s-video---> AMP ---s-video---> PROJECTOR

And when it is connected like that, if the Freeview box is set to RGB I get no picture, I get a monochrome picture from S-video and a good colour picture from Composite.

I hope you were able to follow that. In summary my question is is there a lead that will enable me to set the freeview box to S-video output, and then connect it directly to the amp (i.e. SCART-> Svideo).

I don't understand why the two cables I have that are SCART on one end and Svideo on t'other don't work - are they only any good for going from svideo to scart?

Huge thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

Bonce

2. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Cable is 's'-in not 's'-out (!) ? They're wired differently.

Mike.

3. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Aha! So you're saying that there is another type of cable that will look identical but be wired differently? That would explain a lot...

Where do I go to purchase this mystical item? Are they common?

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    TV cables have a selection here

5. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,030
    SCARTS are the Bain of our Lives. The minute we want to do anything even slightly 'odd' they b*g*er us up. Work of the Devil (or the French).

Another option is to fit the Pioneer box with a SCART adaptor plug. This is, typically, a SCART plug at one side, and 3xRCA + 1xSvideo socket on the other side - and a switch for "In" or "Out". Then use a regular SVideo>>Svideo cable.

Get one from all sorts of places (make sure you get one fitted with SVideo - some don't) - Maplins is a good start, but I think even Dixon$ ave them.

6. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not many of set top boxes output s-vid. Its normally composite and RGB.

Some basics:

composite: All vision info on one cable
    s-video: Brightness and colour on seperate cables
    RGB: 3 brighness signals on seperate cables, one for each colour
    component: Brightness and colour diffirence on 3 cables.

composite on a SCART lead use 2 pins for out and 2 pins for in. (always in pairs,signal and ground)
    S-video on a SCART uses the composte pins and the red pins for RGB connection.
    component: not avail on scart.

The composite cable (when in s-vid config) carries the brighness and the red RGB line carries colour. If you hook this up to your desplay that cannot do or has not got s-vid desplay you will get a black and white image.

Your freview box when in RGB mode also outputs full composite for sync. of the 3 colour signals. When in composite mode there is a chance that these will all still be output but it wont tell the desplay to use RGB (it uses pin8 on the scart for this).

You getting s-vid from your VCR when the freview box is hooked up will be the VCR converting the composite vid to s-vid. and will be worse quality than basic composite for technical resons (to do with how the colour is sidebanded on the composte line).

The cut a long story short...

most digi boxes cannot do s-vid unless it explicity says it can. You can get converters to make RGB to s-vid.

Im not sure if this is too clear (im half on this and half on the tv... sorry) but i hope it helps. Browse the video circuits at www.epanorama.net and you will get alot of info there on how video signals are fomatted and converted.

Stuart.

7. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys - it's good to know that I'm not the only person who dislikes SCART.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Stuart. That explains why I was seeing a monochrome picture.

My Pioneer freeview box definiately has S-Video as an output option so I will purchase a Scart -> S-video lead ASAP and let you know how I get on. I would love to stop using the video for upscaling the composite signal because I'm viewing on an 8' screen so although it's a great picture I'm sure it can be improved!

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,803
    Stuart: Although not relevant to this thread you may be interested to know that even although component YPrPb is not spec'd for SCART there are a few devices that will actually output this signal type on the RGB pins of a SCART and there are also TV's that will accept YPrPb on the RGB pins of a scart.

Arcam and Loewe being two that spring to mind.

Gordon

9. Member 34135

Member 34135

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Indeed the Profigold PGV372 is designed for this purpose. Please note you cannot connect RGB->Component or Component->RGB though, you'd be surprised how many people do try it!

Andy.

10. Stevey

Stevey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The cables are directional i.e. one way only

11. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeh, I only recently found about about the component through RGB recently. Upon looking into it ive found that some things will accept RGB through the component input. This i think is handy for long cable runs.

for scart RGB you need...A cable for:

Red Signal
    Geen Signal
    Blue Signal
    Composite video (for sync)
    Blanking Signals (also for sync)
    and pin 8 status (some things need this to know what is being thrown at it.

by being able to send RGB as "component" saves on cabling!!

Ill have to try my Panny AE200 with RGB in the component, see if it works. The source would have to be RGBs or RGsB tho.

Stuart.

12. Bonce

Bonce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the help chaps, after considerable delays and very disappointing customer services with the company I originally ordered from (they advertise on avforums) I cancelled my order after more than three weeks of waiting.

TVCables.co.uk came up trumps and fulfilled my order within 24 hours... :thumbsup: I know who I'll be using in future!

Edit: Forgot to say, the correct cable is perfect and my picture quality has improved. Very happy now!