Why cant I get any new software to appear on applications?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I tried Netsacpe, Attempted to drag it in and it was rejected.Before it tried Onyx and same thing. I can find them in spotlight mind but I want them in applications. any ideas?

Yesterday I tried Netsacpe, Attempted to drag it in and it was rejected.Before it tried Onyx and same thing. I can find them in spotlight mind but I want them in applications. any ideas?
Is the Netscape download an installer file? have you tried double clicking on it? Currently can't check myself because the download site appears to be down.

Are you dragging the mounted disc image? double click on that first and then drag the contents (or open the installer depending on the type).

Ive got something called Netscape MachO.dmg on my desktop clicking on that only tells me the disk image failed to mount.I can still get Netscape but only through spotlight:confused:

Sounds like the .dmg (disk image) file didn't download properly ... you could try downloading again ... does the oynx file have a .dmg or .pkg suffix ?

It can be a bit confusing - some applications just require dragging to the applications folder (where they install themselves), others need 'double-clicking' to run an installer to put them in the applications folder - but it's sometimes not obvious which one is which !

Jon

Sounds like the .dmg (disk image) file didn't download properly ... you could try downloading again ... does the oynx file have a .dmg or .pkg suffix ?

It can be a bit confusing - some applications just require dragging to the applications folder (where they install themselves), others need 'double-clicking' to run an installer to put them in the applications folder - but it's sometimes not obvious which one is which !

Jon
yes and that is how it always worked me in the past but not now . I just wonder if there something in system preferences that can be altered:confused:
On the onyx installation i slected applications as destination and yet its not in there . At least the icon isnt

As Jon says, the Disk Image file is broken and won't mount. Trash it. Download it again. Once you've mounted it, drag the application out of it and into the Applications folder. Then drag the Disk Image to the trash to unmount it.

The file you should have (preferably on your desktop) after downloading is called netscape-navigator-9.0b3.dmg. click on that and it will install the navigator browser into your applications folder. Maybe the problem is caused by you trying to put the download files directly into your applications folder?
Anyway, why are you using netscape and/or Onyx. Safari and Firefox are far better!

The file you should have (preferably on your desktop) after downloading is called netscape-navigator-9.0b3.dmg. click on that and it will install the navigator browser into your applications folder. Maybe the problem is caused by you trying to put the download files directly into your applications folder?
Anyway, why are you using netscape and/or Onyx. Safari and Firefox are far better!

Yeah, and give Shiira (beta) a go, the full screen browsing is fantastic.

actually Onyx isnt a browser as such, its juts helps me clean things up . There is no real reason for using netscape i just wanted to know why I couldnt get the prog into applications

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom