Why can't I find a battery for my car?!

BAN5HEE

I have an Audi A6 2002 V6 2.5TDI. The current battery which is dead as a doornail when I tried to start it at 05:00 this morning is a Varta 12V 720A 82Ah dimmensions:
Length: 278 mm
Width: 175 mm
Height: 190 mm

Every single website I go to reccomends a much bigger battery that won't fit in the tray.

Most of the ones that fit my current tray dimmensions are well below the current CCA and Ah :facepalm:

Even the AA, RAC, kwikfit and halfords reccomend the big battery but I have checked and there is no way in hell it will fit....
Dimensions (LxWxH): 353 x 175 x 190 mm

BAN5HEE

What about from Euro Car Parts?
Checked them mate and They also recommend the wrong sized one. I was hoping to just order one online but may have to spend some time phonening around tomorrow.

IronGiant

Checked them mate and They also recommend the wrong sized one. I was hoping to just order one online but may have to spend some time phonening around tomorrow.
A review of a 353mm by 175mm by 190mm battery bought for a 2003 Audi Avant 2.5tdi says: it's bigger, but it just fits.
From tayna.Co.UK. 850 amps 100Ah, £87 delivered

BAN5HEE

I don't know if the wrong battery was fitted to the car then cause it seems like the one in there is meant for the 1.9TDI...I may have to just get the RAC out to charge it and drive down to my closest battery centre tomorrow.

un1eash

Distinguished Member
The correct size battery doesnt fit through the opening when you remove the cover. To change the battery you have to remove the plastic surround also.

Scratch that, just seen there is meant to be 2 different sizes for the A6 and you need the 315mm width one.

Last edited:

BAN5HEE

Scratch that, just seen there is meant to be 2 different sizes for the A6 and you need the 315mm width one.
The one currently in the car is the 278mm one. Getting the 315mm in there looks pretty much impossible to me...