1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't I capture video from Sony HC14E to PC

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by blueheron, Jan 28, 2005.

1. blueheron

blueheron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have connected my new Sony Handycam HC14E using firewire to my PC and tried to transfer the Mini DV material using both the programme that came with the camera (Picture Package) and Pinnacle Expression but just get the error message: "Pinnacle Expression cannot initialise the DV capture device. Please ensure the camera is connected and the power is on".
    I've checked the cable connections, rebooted, checked the camera is in play mode but it still doesnt work. What am I doing wrong?
    Any advice most appreciated!

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Could possibly be a duff firewire cable. Have you got any other firewire devices or another cable? and how long is the cable. The max. working distance is normally 2m. When you connect the cam by usb, does your pc reconise it to transfer stills?

3. blueheron

blueheron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there
    The firwire cable is a new one (haven't got any others) and is 1.8m. When I tried the USB cable it didnt recognise the capture device either. How does capture device initialisation work - do I need to set something up in Device Manager?
    Thanks for your help...

4. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you are running Windows XP, it should automatically recognise it.
    In evice manager, have you got one of those yellow triangle warning signs on your USB or IEEE1394 controllers?

5. blueheron

blueheron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No yellow warnings in either....

6. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Do you have access to another cam/PC/firewire cable? There seems to be a compatability problem somewhere and the best way of locating it is by elimnating all other factors.