1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can't all layer changes be like Erin Brockovich

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    I bought the R1 version of Erin Brockovich almost a year ago, but never got around to watching it.

This weekend, I decided that it was time.

I couldn't help but being impressed with the layer change.

They put the change after the picture faded to black and the sound faded to nothing and you couldn't notice it.

Whether this 'fade' was there in the cinema release or whether they added it, just to make a descrete layer change I don't know.. But it was good..

I just wonder why that havn't done more like this.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Mr Weaver,

The reason that particular style of layer-change is rare, is because:

1 - it's too sensible an option
    2 - why do a fade-to-black, when you can chop a scene in half
    3 - R2 DVD's are so p*ss-poor anyway!

:D :D :D

I think that about sums it up!

Pooch

3. Giles

Giles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Matrix R1 does this, it was my first DVD. How dissappointed I was with several of my other purchases when I realised that not every film does fade to black.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Jon has a thing about layer changes - I think that he has co-incidentally bought all of the films with poor layer changes as they have much improved recently and most films now time them more sensibly.

In the early days the layer change came at about 54 minutes irrespective of what was actually showing at the time.

5. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The quality of layer change is different on nearly every disc. Some are better than others, but I don't think I've ever failed to notice one on any disc that I have. Thats a bad thing isn't it? It should be invisible.

6. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    The worst layer change I have encountered is on the Prince DVD, Rave Un2 The Year 2000. It is a live concert and the layer change is near the end of one of the tracks when it is winding up. The thing that makes it sooo annoying is that about 5 seconds after the layer change, there is a fade out and then Purple Rain starts, why couldn't they put it there! :mad:

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +647
    Ian,

I don't have a 'thing' about layer changes at all. Infact it hardly bothers me..

I am just interested in the 'technical' persepctive.

A whilst ago I pointed out my surprised that on my new Pioneer (a 5th generation player) they still hadn't attempted to address the issue.

When I saw Erin Brokckovich, I realised that there was another way of doing this, other than 'expensive' additions to the DVD hardware..

It was just an observation.. Nothing more.

I am also surprised as 'giles' comment about 'The Matrix'.. Unless I read it wrong, it seems that he is happy with the change..

I thought that the change on 'The Matrix' has been the subject of debate for a long time.. Perhaps its player specific? I know that the The Matrix caused problems on the Samsung 709 during the layer change.

8. Giles

Giles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Jon

No you didnt read it wrong. I am happy with the layer change in The Matrix, I have not seen the R2 version so cannot comment on that. My player is a Sony 725.

As I remember the change happens just before they come out of the warehouse and the phone gets dropped in the bin (I could be wrong). The scene before fades out to black... <<layer change>>... and then fades in as they come out. To be honest I missed it the first time I watched it.

Middle of the scene layer changes really bug me. Totally ruins the atmophere of the film especially if you are totally absorbed in the story/action. You may as well have Trevor McDonald pop up and tell you about the news 'comming up after tonights film'.

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Jon - just teasing.

From my own perspective the improvement from Pioneer 606 to 545 is quite dramatic and coupled with the fact that people are getting more sensible about where they are putting layer changes, I see great improvements.

When DVD first came out it was decided by the DVD "powers that be" that us second class citizens in Britain could make do with flippers - remember Armageddon so going from that to barely imperceptable changes on most films isn't bad in the space of three years

I suppose that it is still a relatively young technology leaving plenty of room for improvement.

Ian

PS since originally posting this I have watched Evolution which is an excellent and very funny comedy sci fi film and I sat there watching for the layer change.

This is your fault