1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why can i tell where my sub is?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by chedmaster, May 18, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i have a mordaunt short ms308, and have just done the placement thing, where you crawl around like a loony, and decided to move it about 1.5 to 2m away from me on the left (in the middle of the left wall of my room).
    It sounds much better, and watching assault on precinct 13 i had a large grin on my face (although my parents downstairs didn't!).

However i can now hear my sub, as in i can tell where it is. My fronts are set to large and the crossover is set to about 50hz on sub (amp is fixed to 80hz, but i hear no dropoff because the fronts are good with bass :smashin: ) It sounds as if the left speaker has superior bass and can be annoying.

Is it because it is so close to me, or could it be its surroundings? Its in front of a radiator on a towel in turn on floorboards, next to a bedside table ;)

Would the addition of carpet (which is coming in a few days) improve it or should i just plump it back where it was? (or try other places)

thanks in advance

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I would guess that the sub is turned up too loud. If you can beg, borrow or steal an SPL meter it will help enormously in setting up both the sub and the speakers accurately

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    As Ian says, it could well be too loud.

I also have something of a problem in my room as I sit very close with my 2 subs firing directly at me, I can't tell where the actual sound is located but I can certainly feel the air hitting one side of me! Also worth making sure that you're not just noticing any sound waves transmitting through the floor which also helps the subconscious locate your sub. :)

4. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks guys, i was told to turn it down anyway and thought i could still tell where it was coming from, but this may have been beacuse i was trying to hard, still the awful lipsync on my region one copy of assault on precinct 13 helped take my mind off it!

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I didn't realise that there were still lipsync problems as I haven't had a bad one for several years now.