1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why can I see rainbows?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Chipster, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I demo'd an infocus 4800 the other day and saw the rainbow effect immediately. The dealer said, "Well I don’t see it"

I mentioned this in another thread and was kindly told that colour of eyes, state of alertness and lighting conditions can bring on this anomaly.

Can anybody else shed some light on this, as I wouldn’t like to totally disregard a DLP pj on this experience alone.

Thanks,

Chipster.

2. Bursar

Bursar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    If you do a search on rainbows you'll find this has been discussed to death.

There's loads of things that affect your ability to see them (or not as the case may be). Your eyes, the screen, room brightness, image brightness, size of the image, and so-on.

The only real way to find out if it's going to be a problem for you is to get one home and set it up.

3. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Fair comment. I will do a search

Thanks anyway

Chipster

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The dealer should be well aware of rainbow effects .. if his reaction was one of disbelief then I question his ability to sell this type of equipment with any professionalism. :eek:

5. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi KRaGorn

The dealer was aware of the rainbow effect, but said he'd only seen it once before, but he also told be the infocus 4800 (X1) was an LCD pj and proceeded to show me the screen door effect???. (or lack of it as the case may be)

My research, and help from forum members has shown he was wrong. Lesson learned, allways use a professional dealer!!

I am still very much in the market for a budjet/ mid range pj, the problem is finding a dealer in the South-West with enough varied stock for a side by side comparison. Any ideas?

My original thread was placed because the rainbow effect, for me anyway was a new experience and dramatic to say the least. Its got to be a very personal thing. (search in progress now)

This forum is an invaluble source of info, and I hope to return the favour one day to fellow newbie's.

Cheers,

Chipster.

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    'Fraid I'm in the northwest so don't know dealers down your part of the world ... good luck on your search, there are no such nasty surprises with LCD projectors. :)

7. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Checked through my bookmarks. Can't find anything further SW than Horsham, Surrey (Shootandshow).

8. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Horsham is in West Sussex

9. jGrahamD

jGrahamD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry, don't know what made me write Surrey, probably in need of coffee.

10. rogeralpine

rogeralpine
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...a fellow Warringtonian!!

:hiya:

11. BigTone

BigTone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    One thing I found out about the rainbow effect is that my eyes got used to it after a few hours and now I dont see them at all anymore. See if you can demo the DLP for a weekend and see if the problems lessens any.

Tone

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 30 minute demo in a dealers showroom is probably not the best way to really evaluate rainbows & their effect.

They'll be exacerbated by the situation/fuss/pressure etc...

Having lived with several DLP PJs I can confirm that the effect definitely lessens with time in your own environment.

13. Chipster

Chipster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks guys for your input.

I didnt even see the Surrey bit, just knew where Horsham was. (Glad your not navigating jGrahamD ;) if I get over to Shootandshow for a demo of two. Thanks for the tip though.

If I had the money I would buy the entire range and open up a demo room in the South West. Its got to be easier than this just to see a few projectors??? Quite a few dealers it seems, but rarely do they stock all makes and models.

Back to my origonal question re rainbows;

I was so shocked when I saw them, the thought of getting used to it is a little hard when I could ultimaly waste my money on a DLP and regret it. Take on board what your saying though..just need more demo's and time I guess.

Cheers,

Chipster.

14. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,078
    Tread with care. To those whose vision is so 'fast' that rainbows are evident - they can easily become genuinely nauseating. I don't recommend that you rely on the 'you'll get used to it' view unless you are sure.

15. kyber

kyber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    YMMV but I purchased a HS50 last year despite having witnessed the rainbow effect at the dealers.

I found that both my wife and I are lucky in that we have gotten used to it and it is not a problem. Early on we did find that our eyes got tired (even if not noticing the effect) but again this problem has gone away (watched the first two extended editions of LotR this weekend back-to-back without difficulty for example).

I have learnt though to avoid flicking my eyes quickly whilst watching as this does cause the problem to manifest. My wife has done the same thing.

My daughters (aged 10 and 12) have never had any problems.

16. Rattus

Rattus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll be nice when the price of 3 chip DLP units comes down into the affordable range, as all consumer devices have signicant compromises at the moment.

I would have loved to get one of the new wave of DLP's, but the girlfriend and I see the rainbows bigtime, and like the watch the type of films that trigger them, dark gothic stuff with lots of action. Matrix, Underworld, Blade...

So we took the small hit on contrast to avoid that and bought a Sony HS20 a couple of days ago, knowing that it's a stop gap until we can get something closer to perfection. Give a few years I reckon.

Cheers

Martyn

17. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still trying to get some time with a DLP but I know I'm having a lot of problems with low freq lighting that no one else notices and I guess this is a sign of possible rainbowitis. ;)

However on paper and from everyones comments the HS20 sounds like the perfect compromise.

I've been told there are some DLPs at work but they might be fixed in conferance/lecture rooms so not easy to test out, if I can find a portible recent one I'll try to blag it for the office and give it a go with DVD from a laptop. Either that or a trip to Sevenoaks in Brum.

Is the standard HS20 a long throw lens, I presume the short throw one in the manual is an optional extra.

18. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, "standard" HS10/20 are long throw.

Optional lens needed to reduce the throw ratio.