Why buy a Multiregion Recorder?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by fusioncold, Oct 13, 2004.

1. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! :)

I'm looking at buying a dvd recorder (either a panasonic e55/85 or a pioneer 220/420). Just wondered if there is really any point in buying a multiregion recorder as playback of multiregion dvd's would normally be via my dvd player.

Is there anything a multiregion recorder does (over an R2 unit) other than enable playback of multiregion dvd's?

thanks

fc

2. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No there's no other advantage apart from playback. If you're happy to use your normal machine for playback of non-R2 discs then an R2-only unit will be fine.

3. fusioncold

fusioncold

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that I read somewhere that it offers advantages in bypassing macrovision signals on sky+.

thanks oardvd.

4. OARDVD

OARDVD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends on the conversion. AFAIK most don't.

5. scoutthedoggie

scoutthedoggie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The advantage is you can record on PAL and NTSC its not just opened up for playback of PAL. I have stacks of old NTSC VHS tapes and I can save them to NTSC DVD on my Panny E30 and E50 without having to do a digital transfer to PAL, my Sony SLVF900 VHS VCR outputs a true NTSC signal as well as one to play NTSC tapes on a PAL TV so I can play the tapes on that and record them onto DVD without need of a Digital Standards Convertor.
    Just saved three Ramones concerts to NTSC DVD last night and they look beautiful. Both machines also by pass macro on anything.
    :devil:

6. KoKelly

KoKelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be right to assume also that you could send a DVD over to the US without worrying about them being Region 1 and they could play it then? Is a DVD recorded on a multi region recorder effectively recorded as Region 0 so it will play on any player?
    Thanks,
    Kevin

7. jesmat2003

jesmat2003
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That doesn't have anything to do with being multiregion though, does it?

8. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Ko Kelly- You have to be careful if you send UK recorded PAL DVDs to the US. Most of their DVD players won't play PAL recordings, only NTSC, although their PCs will. There is no regional coding on DVDs recorded on UK DVD recorders, so that is not an issue.
    Hope this helps

9. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why do you want to keep your old dvd player in your main set up. Unless you have something very special already of course. I have the XS32 and it is an excellent dvd player, the prog scan is incredibly clear.

10. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being able to record in NTSC and PAL has nothing to do with multiregion at all.The Panasonic machines and other(not Toshiba) will record a pure NTSC signal only,so its lucky the above VCR outputs pure NTSC.Most standard UK VCR's output NTSC as PAL 60,and only Philips and Pioneer recorders will record PAL 60.
    Of course Japan is Region 2 and NTSC aswell,and Jap discs will play on all UK players.But MR adds very little to the cost so you may aswell have it.One thing to note,when playing an NTSC disc ,of whichever region,on your recorder,the HDD will not record a PAL programme at the same time.
    Bobbles-what do you do if you want to watch a R1 dvd and record a UK show to the HDD.As the Tosh will not even record NTSC,I assume it has the same problem as the other recorders in not being able to use 2 formats together?

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did think I would like to burn -r and watch a dvd so I kept my old player in my set up. I have used it maybe once in the last 4 months.

You can watch R1 dvds and record to the HDD, i just checked. I never record live anyway I always record to sky+ first. I actually watch less than 50% of TV live anymore.

Unless you wish to pirate R1 dvds or have family in the states recording an NTSC signal is not an issue.