Why buy a game on E-bay when bigger Retailers have plenty of stock?

D

DarrenB

Why is it that folks pay the retail, or over, on E-bay for Wii games that are:
a) not in short supply
b) available somewhere common on the high street, like Woolies, who have plenty of stock

And they then have to add postage, sometimes over priced postage, on to the top as well. (Many e-commerce places do free postage like HMV, Amazon and Play for example).

I'd rather buy from someone like Play rather than ebay. I mean there is absolutely no guarantee in what condition you will get your goods from an ebay seller. Both ebay and paypal can offer some sort of assurance but in the end you will be charged a fee for reclaiming monies paid, which could be almost half the price of a game....and what if the seller sticks two fingers up at you??

So unless the game is rediculosly cheap, which is most unlikely (becasue if it is, there has got to be something wrong, like the seller is in Nigeria or something) - then you may as well go through larger established retailers.

What do you reckon?

kb33

Been looking at buying COD on eBay , but don't think Ill bother , you can buy it for £34.99 post free (play.com)and all eBay auctions are going for nearer £40 ! I don't why people pay over the odds on eBay .

SportBilly

Novice Member
I think some people get hooked on ebay and see it as an easy stress-free way of sourcing items whether it is over-priced or not. Adds a bit of novelty into your purchase also.

I don't think this happens just to people with plenty of money to spend either. Like you say most items are available at cheaper prices if a little effort is made to look.

I'm still looking for a Wii myself but will not use ebay to pay over £300 for what is ultimately a £150 machine and is already over-priced at RRP.

Gold Feet

Novice Member
I'm still looking for a Wii myself but will not use ebay to pay over £300 for what is ultimately a £150 machine and is already over-priced at RRP.
Retailers make about £10 per console, you obviously dont shop much as every day items are far more overpriced :rolleyes: shops usually use a 30% mark up.
Its only Microsofts subsidizing policy that makes the Wii look less good value, I have a vision of people who think the Wii is expensive as still watching Black and white Tvs and holes in their shoes.

Broadsword

I sold red steel on ebay the other day for £38.50, I paid £27.99 from choicesuk and they are readily available in shops and online for £34.99. Nuts.

SportBilly

Novice Member
You are right, I don't go shopping much because I hate trawling through shops but I dont think all "everday" items are overpriced.

We do pay a bit more for stuff in the uk for the reasons that have already been mentioned and I guess that's what I'm trying to get at.

GLOL

Standard Member
I think there are a few reasons:

1) Not everyone has a credit card that they can use online

2) Many work with cash only or PayPal

3) Some people sell stuff on eBay and build up their PayPal accounts, so use those funds to pay - sometimes feels like 'free' money

4) The thrill of the purchase.

Me, I buy from the cheapest possible place online :)

S

Sherlock64

Why is it that folks pay the retail, or over, on E-bay for Wii games
I've been wondering the same thing, also on the extra accessories like Nunchuks etc that seem to be getting back in stock now. Ordered my nunchuk and classic controller from Amazon today - both in stock and promising pre-christmas delivery - hopefully more people will have cottoned on to that and some of the ebay auctions will start going for below RRP... will keep an eye on a few - can always cancel the Amazon order if I get one cheaper on ebay. Don't have a console to use them with yet though...

EDIT: Last Nunchuk I was watching went for £23inc p&p...

Grimbo

Standard Member
I ended up with a copy of Red Steel I didn't really want (bundle) so I sold it on eBay.

Put it up for £25 hoping to get £30 but it sold for £38 (plus £2 p&p).

I couldn't understand since you can get it for £35 (free p&p)!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom