Why buy a convertible

buzlightyear

Established Member
Reaction score
and when the sun is shining its 24 degrees outside you still have your bloomin roof up.
I have just been at lunch and seen a fair few down but even more up.
Can any convertible owners explain why you would do this apart from not getting your hair blown around, so why buy a convert in the first place.

RANT OVER and breath.

When my wife had her MX5 she almost never had the roof down. On the other hand if I was driving I'd have it down in the middle of winter as long as it was dry... That's the point, even if a mk1 MX5 makes a 6 foot bloke look rather camp! :rotfl:

• Sunburnt from the day before
  • Short journey so not worth taking the roof down
  • Boot full so roof doesn't fit
  • Lots of motorway driving and want to get to destination still being able to hear
  • Lots of town driving and don't want to suck in everyone else exhaust fumes
  • just don't want to. After all, it's my car.

Ps. I almost always have the roof off in the Tiv.

I've just sold my saloon in favour of a convertible just so that I can have the roof down when the weather is like this.

Wife is now on her third convertible and she prefers down to up

I have also wondered why people buy a convertible and never drop the top; very strange. My previous car was a Honda S2000 and i dropped the top all year round when the weather was dry. I had many good drives on freezing cold sunny winter mornings, however, i did wrap up in warm clothing and wear a baseball cap and turn the heater system up. I really do miss that car.

Geoff. :)

Short journey so not worth taking the roof down

My Audi manual does recommend that the roof is not put down for short journeys due to the drain on the battery.I'm not sure what a short journey is,but if I'm only driving a mile or two I leave it as it is.Otherwise it's blue skies and smiles all round.:thumbsup:

• Sunburnt from the day before
  • Short journey so not worth taking the roof down
  • Boot full so roof doesn't fit
  • Lots of motorway driving and want to get to destination still being able to hear
  • Lots of town driving and don't want to suck in everyone else exhaust fumes
  • just don't want to. After all, it's my car.

Ps. I almost always have the roof off in the Tiv.

Are you on PH? I assume you must be as I saw a virtually identical post on a virtually identical thread over there :)

Are you on PH? I assume you must be as I saw a virtually identical post on a virtually identical thread over there :)
:hiya: Yes on PH, but I deny posting on that thread! :)

They do look silly with it down - you're quite right. I do tend to think the wearing of a baseball cap is to cover a bald pate or unfortunate looks though :devil:

I do tend to think the wearing of a baseball cap is to cover a bald pate or unfortunate looks though :devil:

I would rather stifle in a hot car with the heating turned up full in midsummer than be seen wearing a baseball cap :D

I would rather stifle in a hot car with the heating turned up full in midsummer than be seen wearing a baseball cap :D

Grey hair sticking out the side of a baseball cap is never going to look nice :p

How about
AAAAAjEAgWYAAAAAAJq5FA.jpg

:rotfl:

That would like Ok in a Morgan or pre war MG

Without the Burberry check I hope...

Burberry used to be very upper class in those days and it's only comparatively recently that it's acquired it's rather dubious image

Burberry used to be very upper class in those days and it's only comparatively recently that it's acquired it's rather dubious image

and even with its modern image its very apt for a SL Ghey i mean K :p

and even with its modern image its very apt for a SL Ghey i mean K :p

If that's a dig at me - mine is an SL and not and SLK Cheeky git :D

Amusingly the previous owner who had the car since new was a hairdresser.

Anyway back on topic, I've just been down to the garden centre which is five miles away down loads of bendy roads and the outside temperature at 10:30 this morning must have been approaching 20 and I was following an Audi A4 cab with all of the windows open but the top still in place. What a waste

Maybe the A4 owner is going by the manual :rolleyes:
Im glad its not just me that has this bug bear. :thumbsup:

If that's a dig at me - mine is an SL and not and SLK Cheeky git :D

Amusingly the previous owner who had the car since new was a hairdresser.

Anyway back on topic, I've just been down to the garden centre which is five miles away down loads of bendy roads and the outside temperature at 10:30 this morning must have been approaching 20 and I was following an Audi A4 cab with all of the windows open but the top still in place. What a waste

I really do like these cars, very underrated imo, the new version is one of may all time fav cabs

But they are a bit hair dressery :p

On the subject of not bothering to put the roof down, my missus couldn't be bothered to put the roof up last night loool

Yeah I always shake my head at other convertibles with their tops up in the good weather.

I've got a saved head so hat for the winter days, sunblock for the sunny days :)

The car has an electric roof and unless it was damp/icy I would put the top down given the chance. I remember on boxing day being looked at funny when it was about 5 degrees but sunny driving about.

Good heater+air con helps aswell.

Starting off at £62,000 before the expensive options were added when new they must be very exclusive hairdressers :rotfl:

I think someone is getting their models confused.

The SL is a beautiful car.

Used to share a British Racing Green Mk2 MX5 with my other half.

Looked fabulous when clean and shiny (it's the only car in the last 15 years that I cleaned AND polished on a regular basis).

Anyways... back on topic. Roof down all the time in the dry - only the slightest excuse needed. And yes I did have a baseball cap :hiya:. Oh well... at least it wasn't Burberry.

Really miss that car when the weather is like this. Used to drive the nuts off it just about everywhere and managed to burn through a set of rear tyres in 9K miles :eek:

So yes... anyone in a convertible with the roof up in this weather... :nono: :lesson:

I used to have a 10th Anniversary MX-5 when they first came out, the ones with the blua mica paint and shiny chrome wheels! I have to admit of all the cars I've owned (and I've had a lot) that was the one I most enjoyed hand washing. It helped that it's a tiny car, so very quick, and low down so easy to reach! But they looked great when clean.

I still have my original gift box and numbered certificate, and memories of top down driving in Cornwall during the 1999 eclipse. Happy days!

I used to have a 10th Anniversary MX-5 when they first came out, the ones with the blua mica paint and shiny chrome wheels! I have to admit of all the cars I've owned (and I've had a lot) that was the one I most enjoyed hand washing. It helped that it's a tiny car, so very quick, and low down so easy to reach! But they looked great when clean.

I still have my original gift box and numbered certificate, and memories of top down driving in Cornwall during the 1999 eclipse. Happy days!

A neighbour of ours has bought himself a mint condition G registered MX5 in red. Still looks brilliant and he paid less than 2K for it. Am sorely tempted at that sort of money as a second car.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom