Why Bother?

Please don’t forget that maybe the op (I don’t mean the op for this thread) did not comment or take everyone’s idea on board... other people will read said comments and maybe they take onboard what has been discussed and they’ve learnt something. So although you haven’t helped the op you may have helped many others with your reply/knowledge/comments etc.
keep calm and carry on. 🤟

Please don’t forget that maybe the op (I don’t mean the op for this thread) did not comment or take everyone’s idea on board... other people will read said comments and maybe they take onboard what has been discussed and they’ve learnt something. So although you haven’t helped the op you may have helped many others with your reply/knowledge/comments etc.
keep calm and carry on. 🤟
very good point!

Not sure what the fuss is about really. If I see a post that someone needs help and I can point them in the right direction, or give them something else to consider, it's cool.
If they choose to ignore it or not reply, that's also cool. No one forced me to answer, I made the choice. And there could be all kind of things happening in real life that puts an av forum into insignificance in terms of returning a 'like' or 'thanks'.

*disclaimer*

I post in the politics section where I am frequently ridiculed and disliked, so this accounts for my thick skin 😆

Not sure what the fuss is about really. If I see a post that someone needs help and I can point them in the right direction, or give them something else to consider, it's cool.
If they choose to ignore it or not reply, that's also cool. No one forced me to answer, I made the choice. And there could be all kind of things happening in real life that puts an av forum into insignificance in terms of returning a 'like' or 'thanks'.

*disclaimer*

I post in the politics section where I am frequently ridiculed and disliked, so this accounts for my thick skin 😆
Yep i keep away from that as a common sense view of the world will likely not go down well.

This is what a forum is about. Someone comes on asking a question, people try and answer it.

You also have to remember that what you think is the right way to do it, may not be for everyone and in fact may not be the right way, just your way that works.

Occasionally you will get a new member asking a question and then turning into some kind of crazy person when the answers they get are not what they wanted to hear. Usually those kind of members don't last the day. There was one just the other day asking about a new PC.

Some of the best one's are those looking for justification for doing something fundamentally dishonest. They always go down well. Not. :D

I've been a member here since December 2001 (I think) and a lurker for some time before that as I was in to home cinema back when it was nicam stereo...
Every November since then, one of my cousin's text me to ask what she could get her husband for Christmas.
He has always had the most basic of basic 5.1 systems. The only thing off the menu is speakers (not more big box things in the living room).
So every time I ask what the budget is and what he wants so I can give 3 examples or televisions or amps.

Then I search the net, read reviews, read here etc then give her the lists.

She has NEVER bought any of my suggestions. Not even close.

Nearly 20 years so far.... 🤣🤣😍

I've been a member here since December 2001 (I think) and a lurker for some time before that as I was in to home cinema back when it was nicam stereo...
Every November since then, one of my cousin's text me to ask what she could get her husband for Christmas.
He has always had the most basic of basic 5.1 systems. The only thing off the menu is speakers (not more big box things in the living room).
So every time I ask what the budget is and what he wants so I can give 3 examples or televisions or amps.

Then I search the net, read reviews, read here etc then give her the lists.

She has NEVER bought any of my suggestions. Not even close.

Nearly 20 years so far.... 🤣🤣😍
Yep we must share relatives. I call them Askholes.

Last edited:
Jump in. We need all the help we can get mate. But you're right. It doesn't go down well.
it tends to attract the very self righteous, whos absolute self belief in there own opinions overrides everyones elses opinions , i havent got time to play with junior members of they know fudge -all about real life brigade.

it tends to attract the very self righteous, whos absolute self belief in there own opinions overrides everyones elses opinions , i havent got time to play with junior members of they know fudge -all about real life brigade.

What a waste of talent we have here..Jeez we could have a world record thread ban on our hands with you Keith 😆

Some of the best one's are those looking for justification for doing something fundamentally dishonest. They always go down well. Not. :D

Topic - I murdered my wife and sold my kids into slavery on ebay, going to court on Monday. Will I be let off with a warning and how can I influence the jury to my point of view.

Topic - I murdered my wife and sold my kids into slavery on ebay, going to court on Monday. Will I be let off with a warning and how can I influence the jury to my point of view.
The important question is did you get a good price for them?

Last edited:
Perhaps we should all follow the legendary @BlueWizard - have you ever seen the length of his posts? The detail is staggering, but I think he enjoys doing all this work for people regardless of whether they follow his advice or not.

Having been (casually) in the Audio Game for Decades, I've learned a few things.

1.) Answer the Question - Too many people ramble on about their favorite this or that completely ignoring the question that was actually asked. Yes, it is OK to offer alternatives. For example, if someone wants a very basic 5.1 System, I might point out the virtues of a 2.0 System, and in cases of someone wanting a Stereo, under the right circumstance, it might be right to suggest an AV Receiver.

Others simple leave 10 - 15 word response which rarely to never address the complexity of the Question.

2. )To the Original Poster, Answer the Questions - Nothing will derail a discussion like NO RESPONSE from the Original Poster. Don't post then abandon the post because it is too much work to answer the questions being asked by Responders. If we ask the OP questions, it is because the Answers to those question will help us help the Original Poster. If the Orignal Poster can't be bothered to respond, why should we.

3.) As a Responder, don't be more invested than the Original Poster - Years ago I had connections to many Hi-Fi wholesalers, and could get people deep discounts on Brand Name Audio Equipment. People would come to me for advise, I would research it and give them a range of options, and they would be uninterested. I learn, that it is pointless for me to spend more time and effort than the Buyer is willing to spend. So, I started scaling back my efforts. There is no need for me to spin my wheels and burn myself out for someone who isn't that interested.

4.) Don't take it Personal - My job as a responder is not to tell people what they should do but rather tell them What can be done and why. But I'm not them, they have their own ideas, preferences and opinions. I'm happy with whatever they decide. I don't take it as them rejecting me or my advise. I'm sure they very much took my advise in but make their decision based on their Priorities.

5.) Not everyone is on the Same Level as You - Sometimes we get questions, the answer to which is painfully obvious to any who knows anything. But likely the Poster is asking because he really doesn't know. Now he could search for an answer on the Internet, but the hinges on being able to ask the question in simply concise terms. It is pretty hard to write 3 or 4 paragraphs in a Google Search and expect a direct helpful response. Audio Questions require some explanation of circumstances and budget. Being able to search means knowing what to search for, and many new people to audio aren't able to frame it that concisely. So, better to offer an explanation to people with more experience, and carry on an ever more refined Dialog.

If someone asks a rookie or simplistic question, it is probably because they are a rookie. And expert though you may be, you were once a Rookie yourself. So, be patient.

6.) It's complex - In Audio, the most seemingly simple question is actually pretty complex. Many factors need to be consider, and we will usually ask those questions in follow up - Room Size, Budget, Requirement, Preferences, Priorities, and many other things. Again when those question are asked, the answers help us help you. We are not just spinning our wheels, we really need to know. And our responses can be long and drawn out, but we are relaying information you need in order to be able to make an informed decision. If you ask a question - TL;DR - isn't going to cut it.

Myself, fully realizing the my Posts can reach Epic Length, I try to write in short easy to read paragraphs. That way even if you don't read word-for-word, just skimming the short paragraphs can give you a decent overview.

7.) The only Stupid Question is a Question that was never asked - And this works both ways Ask away, and we will do our best to answer. And when we the Responders ask a question back, it is because knowing the answer really will help us help you.

8.) Opinions - everybody's got one. Nothing you hear in person, on the Internet, in the Store, or from Experts and Reviewers is anything other than an Opinion. No one in Audio has a Right to consider their personal opinion to be absolute Gospel. Now we expect some of those opinions to be based on knowledge and experience, so we can lend them some value, but in the end, they are just opinions.

For what it is worth.

Steve/Bluewizard

Last edited:
Having been (casually) in the Audio Game for Decades, I've learned a few things.

1.) Answer the Question - Too many people ramble on about their favorite this or that completely ignoring the question that was actually asked. Yes, it is OK to offer alternatives. For example, if someone wants a very basic 5.1 System, I might point out the virtues of a 2.0 System, and in cases of someone wanting a Stereo, under the right circumstance, it might be right to suggest an AV Receiver.

Others simple leave 10 - 15 word response which rarely to never address the complexity of the Question.

2. )To the Original Poster, Answer the Questions - Nothing will derail a discussion like NO RESPONSE from the Original Poster. Don't post then abandon the post because it is too much work to answer the questions being asked by Responders. If we ask the OP questions, it is because the Answers to those question will help us help the Original Poster. If the Orignal Poster can't be bothered to respond, why should we.

3.) As a Responder, don't be more invested than the Original Poster - Years ago I had connections to many Hi-Fi wholesalers, and could get people deep discounts on Brand Name Audio Equipment. People would come to me for advise, I would research it and give them a range of options, and they would be uninterested. I learn, that it is pointless for me to spend more time and effort than the Buyer is willing to spend. So, I started scaling back my efforts. There is no need for me to spin my wheels and burn myself out for someone who isn't that interested.

4.) Don't take it Personal - My job as a responder is not to tell people what they should do but rather tell them What can be done and why. But I'm not them, they have their own ideas, preferences and opinions. I'm happy with whatever they decide. I don't take it as them rejecting me or my advise. I'm sure they very much took my advise in but make their decision based on their Priorities.

5.) Not everyone is on the Same Level as You - Sometimes we get questions, the answer to which is painfully obvious to any who knows anything. But likely the Poster is asking because he really doesn't know. Now he could search for an answer on the Internet, but the hinges on being able to ask the question in simply concise terms. It is pretty hard to write 3 or 4 paragraphs in a Google Search and expect a direct helpful response. Audio Questions require some explanation of circumstances and budget. Being able to search means knowing what to search for, and many new people to audio aren't able to frame it that concisely. So, better to offer an explanation to people with more experience, and carry on an ever more refined Dialog.

If someone asks a rookie or simplistic question, it is probably because they are a rookie. And expert though you may be, you were once a Rookie yourself. So, be patient.

6.) It's complex - In Audio, the most seemingly simple question is actually pretty complex. Many factors need to be consider, and we will usually ask those questions in follow up - Room Size, Budget, Requirement, Preferences, Priorities, and many other things. Again when those question are asked, the answers help us help you. We are not just spinning our wheels, we really need to know. And our responses can be long and drawn out, but we are relaying information you need in order to be able to make an informed decision. If you ask a question - TL;DR - isn't going to cut it.

Myself, fully realizing the my Posts can reach Epic Length, I try to write in short easy to read paragraphs. That way even if you don't read word-for-work, just skimming the short paragraphs can give you a decent overview.

7.) The only Stupid Question is a Question that was never asked - And this works both ways Ask away, and we will do our best to answer. And when we the Responders ask a question back, it is because knowing the answer really will help us help you.

For what it is worth.

Steve/Bluewizard
Confucius he say....

.. other people will read said comments and maybe they take onboard what has been discussed and they’ve learnt something. ...

An important Point, many people are reading who are not taking part, and they CLICKED on the thread because it was a topic that interested them. They might not participate, but that does not mean they are not learning from the discussion. I would speculate that many of the Likes I get are from people who are reading but not participating.

Most threads are more than a dialog between you and the Original Poster. There are other participating, and others reading, and others who may read long after the discussion is dead. You, as a responder, are communicating with all those people.

I think just today I got a Like from a thread that was started in 2017,

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:
3 Metre Audioquest Diamond HDMI cables @ £1749.00

Value for money or snake oil for the gullible?

Discuss.

:p

Mods on standby.....

Value or Snake Oil - Don't Care - your money spend it how you want. But don't be surprised in the majority of us are snickering behind out hands at the thought.

Speaker Cables, of this caliber, are like Cocaine, they are God's way of telling you, you have too much money.

Steve/bluewizard

3 Metre Audioquest Diamond HDMI cables @ £1749.00

Value for money or snake oil for the gullible?

it’s funny as I almost posted the exact same point but deleted the text.. only real difference was I was going to quote £180 hdmi cable... 😁

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom