Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Why bother with LCD. What PQ????

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by acabucca, Feb 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. acabucca

acabucca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just spent the weekend with my new sharp ga3 37".

I have linked up sky+ through rgb and thought i'd watch a bit of the footy.

The picture was most disurbing. (sky sports) Extremely "pixelated" and flickery, it would seem that the screen does not like fast moving images.

I have played around with all the settings too.

I even looked at the screen on the radio channels, even the blue backgrounds are "messy" grainy and pixelated.

Is this really what I have to put up with?

Would a plasma be any different?? I did not consider plasma before due to size, however I may now consider if PQ is better for sky?

Your advice :lease:

Thanks

2. colinbarber

colinbarber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the PQ like on a DVD? It may be the LCD is just highlighting the low bandwidth transmissions that Sky give it's customers.

What is the PQ like on Sky One? That one seems to get a good allocation of bandwidth, although they have been messing around with it over the last month or so.

3. Pompey_Lad

Pompey_Lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Philips 26 LCD and I too experience pixelation on fast moving objects viewed through Sky, however, this is only when sitting too close to the set. At 10ft this seems to be erradicated. DVD suffers no such problems at any distance, albeit if you are at a suitable viewing angle.

I know this is a stupid question, but are you sitting too close?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Before making your purchase, did you not do any product testing to see what to expect? You must have seen some screens in operation somewhere. I am a great fan of the Philips 9986, but the Sharps are all held in very high regard. Two things could have happened here.

1) You've got a duffer. The PQ should be quite acceptable, with nice smooth pictures and very little motion blur. As long as you are sitting a decent distance from the screen (8 -14 feet for a 37") you should see almost no pixellation or blocking. Grass can have a tendency to look a bit 'carpet -like' on some slower LCDs.

2) You're expectations are rediculously high. LCD's have their strengths, and weaknesses! Strengths include fantastic pictures when fed with good source material, sharper, crisper pictures than Plasmas and size and environmental advantages over nearly everything. Weaknesses include struggling with fast moving images and, with the Sharp, poor pictures from poor signals.

Conclusion. The Sharp should be superb. If you are disappointed it could be that you are feeding rubbish signals into it or that the setups you have tried have been wrong. I am no expert with the Sharps, and I expect the Sharpies will help you here, but I suspect, like most LCD's, set the sharpness almost as soft as it will go, use good Scarts with everything set on RGB and turn as much picture processing off as possible.

More gen will be forthcoming from others soon. Don't despair!

Jimmy

5. acabucca

acabucca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for help.

DVD seems fine from dvi (denon 1910).

I'm sitting approx 8ft away.

I am actually returning the set anyway as it has a scratch on thh screen, so maybe it is a duffer.

I'll stick with it, I suppose I got too used to my lounge eating CRT.

I'll play with the setting some more: does anyone have any real tips on the "fine" tuning i.e. CMS, TINT etc, what does each actually do??

I know sometimes the pic looks a little blue??

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I personally think that 8' is a little too close for a 37" display. You may find that a 32" would better. It would be fine for a decent feed, but Sky would not fit that description. The Sharp is not the most forgiving of sets for a poor quality feed.

Try turning off DNR - should dramatically reduce the football pitch looking unnatural.

Apart from getting a display professionally calibrated ~£250, a calibration disc such as Avia or DVE (~<£20) is the best way of calibrating a display without doing it by eye. Apart from errors in the display configuration, such as grey scale, gamma and colour temperature, which a professional calibrator should 99% resolve, a calibration disc will get the user controls, brightness, colour, contrast, sharpness etc pretty well sorted. But it takes a little time and effort.

-Ian

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,824
    I think that this sentence gives something away:
    This stuff is wholly generated inside the $ky box and should be totally clean. Given that DVD is OK, then this tells me
    a) the set is quite capable of displaying a clean image from a clean source
    b) the source (radio screen from $ky) should be clean, but clearly isn't.
    To me then, the first place to be suspicious of, is the means of connecting the $ky box to the TV.

8. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    About to say the same thing! The text from my SKY EPG is perfect.

9. Dvml1

Dvml1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Obvious - The sky box is set to output RGB ?
    Mine is fine from 8ft any closer though...

10. ndavies4

ndavies4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Also which footy where you watching? I ask this as I noted the following yesterday while trying to watch Sky footy via cable (Telewest) on my 32" 100mHz Philips CRT through an RGB scart:

> Highlights from yesterday morning of Real Madrid losing: PQ was appalling with much blurring around running players and the pitch just a solid sea of green

> Newcastle beating Chelsea yesterday afternoon: PQ really pretty good with little blurring evident

> Highlights of Ath. Madrid yesterday evening: Back to a terrible PQ.

Question: What causes such differences in PQ - the way the material is originally recorded (e.g. not too good in Spain), or the way it is broadcast by Sky and/or Telewest (e.g. more heavily compressed for highlight shows)?

I'm currently in the market to replace the CRT with an LCD or plasma but from all I've read/seen such a purchase will not result in improved PQ.

11. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It will not improve it at all, if anything due to the high resolution you see more of the crap!

12. KennyP

KennyP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about getting a 42PF9986 but I'm also considering the Hitachi Plasma 42PD5200 (my mate has one and PQ looks good). I watch SKy movies and a bit of footy. Both sets get 5 star rating but I'm told that the LCD has a much clearer, sharper picture. It's also a grand more! I'm now a bit concerned about the 9986's ability to handle fast motion - any advice on this. Jimsan, your a big fan of the 9986. Would you recommend it for sky viewing (especially movies and footy) over the Hitachi - or something else?

13. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think the Sharp 37" or Phillips would be fine for footy and SKY and both would be better than the Hitachi, you have to decide which is best for you?

14. kismet110

kismet110

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +389
    I've got a Hitachi and mostly the results have been great; higher bandwidth transmissions from (SKY1, Sky News, CNN) via my Pace NTL DigiBox are excellent, crisp, sharp and 'full'. DVD also good, although the player I have is old (Pio 717) and hopefullly soon to be replaced with Denon connected via component.

Onto football via SKY; if I sit close to the screen it doesn't look too great but at a distance of 8/10 feet it's fine. Not sure about SKY Movies as I don't have that package but the few moveis I have watched via the NTL box have mostly looked fine.

HTH

ALI

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I've only had a brief look at a Sharp high-def LCD screen - once in John Lewis, not set up very well, and once in Harrods, looking a little better - but I found the picture to be startlingly bad on both occasions: very blocky. I suspect (though I can't say for sure) that the internal scaling/deinterlacing electronics aren't too good. If that's the case then it would look a lot better as a result of using an external scaler, such as Iscan HD+ or an HTPC.

16. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    Every review I've read on the Sharp 32/37GD1E, essentially the same screen as the GA3, has said the same thing: Top class at displaying DVD and Hi-def material but a bit suspect when it comes to TV broadcasts. Read the reviews of the 32GD1E at the top of this forum, you'll see what I mean.

17. ROY_H

ROY_H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've had my Hitachi 28ld5200 for just over a week now. Fed from a Thompson DTI2300 freeview box, on GOOD quality feeds the picture quality is outstanding, far superior to my(admittedly 6-year old) Sony 24" CRT. On DVD feed, progressive scan from a Denon 2200 the picture is amazing.
    Important points, spend some time setting up your picture settings, don't sit too close and use good sources. Sometimes this latter is not possible with TV as the original source is poor and one thing LCDs seem to do is punish bad source material.
    I certainly wouldn't go back to the CRT.
    One question is, how do the big retailers sell these screens as they appear to do, I would still have reservations if I hadn't gone to a sympathetic local hi-fi dealer and demoed one properly set up (and I bought it from them at a good price, Thank you Salisbury Hi-Fi)
    If you're not sure, see one properly demoed, you'll be sold.

18. Pezerinno

Pezerinno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    where did you get your 37" sharp?