Why Blu-Ray over normal DVD ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

metro

I am not convinced that the Blu-Ray format is better than normal DVD format ,unless of course you can convince me otherwise ?

All I see is me buying the same film over n over again and in the long run gonna cost me (yes you guessed it! ) more MONEY!! for films I have already spent out before,so why should I choose Blu-Ray ?

What advantage is there that I do not have over normal DVD ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny CCFC

Novice Member
I am not convinced that the Blu-Ray format is better than normal DVD format ,unless of course you can convince me otherwise ?

All I see is me buying the same film over n over again and in the long run gonna cost me (yes you guessed it! ) more MONEY!! for films I have already spent out before,so why should I choose Blu-Ray ?

how about much better picture quality than dvd. if thats not good enough then how about hi-def audio?

nwgarratt

You don't need to buy films you are already have. I am only getting half a dozen or so of films I already have. The rest will be new films I haven't got. For me the attraction is -

better video quality (by a massive lot on some discs)
better audio quality (although I only have DD and DTS capability atm but may upgrade in the future).

There isn't anything else. I am not interested in extras plus most what I have seen is already on the DVD versions.

mugabimad

Well, the answer must sound obvious, but what happened to me is quite interesting... I've recently upgraded my 32" LCD to a 42" Plasma... The differences between the picture quality, which were huge in the past (i mean DVD versus Blu-ray) are not so evident now. It's not my plasma's PQ is worst, so I can't appreciate the better quality of Blu-rays, but the ability of the plasma to enhance the DVD movies :hiya:

nwgarratt

Well, the answer must sound obvious, but what happened to me is quite interesting... I've recently upgraded my 32" LCD to a 42" Plasma... The differences between the picture quality, which were huge in the past (i mean DVD versus Blu-ray) are not so evident now. It's not my plasma's PQ is worst, so I can't appreciate the better quality of Blu-rays, but the ability of the plasma to enhance the DVD movies :hiya:
But compare the DVD and then the BD and the difference will still be huge. Regardless how good a upscaler is (whether it is in a player or a TV), it still cannot create the real extra resolution and the high bitrates that HD brings.

the klang

Novice Member

a panasonic 42 inch PX screen is a nice plasma to watch normal dvds on but blueray films need a screen that can do [email protected] to get the whole bag.in the world of hi-def your tv is at the bottom of the HD ready mark.

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member

It' not just the resolution ( 5 times the pixels) but a much higher bitrate means finer details and finer transitions show up.

namuk

Distinguished Member
try IRONMAN on blu ray to dvd on good setup system and then come back and post

SIMPLE:thumbsup:

END

7hil

Frankly, I can't be bothered to convince you otherwise. If you don't think Blu-ray is better, then stick to DVD's. This thread has a trolling smell to me.

Pecker

Distinguished Member
My advice - go and look at a BD player in action. If you don't like it, and can't see a difference, don't buy one. I you think it looks/sounds better and you have the money, then buy one.

Can we close this thread now before it gets silly.

If you need me I'll be at the audio section answering the "Is CD really an upgrade over wax cylinder?" threads.

Oops, too late.

Steve W

Thekop

Novice Member
Is this a joke thread?
Why did the turkey cross the road ? :D

On a serious note, I only tend to double dip on films when there is a lack of new releases ( which isn't often ) but the ones I have got on both both formats are like night and day in my opinion ... The best example of this recently for me was "The Nightmare before Christmas" .. What a stunning difference there is between Blu-ray and SD DVD. Not only in picture quality, but sound quality too, which is nothing short of staggering.. :eek:

It's Blu-ray all the way for me, no question ! :lesson: :smashin:

Coffin

Distinguished Member
Come by my place metro, I'll stick my Region 1 copy of 2001: Space Odyssey on and then the BD version....all questions will be answered :D

Glenn01

Distinguished Member
This has gotta be a joke thread :suicide:

There just is no comparison between blu ray and standard def dvd :confused:

Once you have sampled HD, there is NO turning back ... I am just not interested in watching films in SD anymore, unless there is no alternative.

brian s

Distinguished Member
Some can't see that much difference and are quite happy with DVD. I would imagine the rest of us are well into and a lot poorer as a result.:D

All the best
Bri

mooperman

Distinguished Member
a panasonic 42 inch PX screen is a nice plasma to watch normal dvds on but blueray films need a screen that can do [email protected] to get the whole bag.in the world of hi-def your tv is at the bottom of the HD ready mark.
what a totally snobbish and entirely incorrect comment to make!!!:eek:

rebel_scum

Distinguished Member
That's as bad as these muppets that say you can't get the benefit of Blu-ray, on a 42" 1080p screen. Cretins!

7hil

Rubbish. DVD's on my Panasonic are great but Blu-ray is superb. My mate has a 1080p TV and the Blu-ray picture is better on my plasma due to it not being LCD.

This thread is a magnet for wind up merchants!

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
Closing this thread as it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

TCL announces new soundbars for UK TV consumers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Top Bottom