Why aren’t there any Multi Region blu-ray players yet?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 7hil, Apr 30, 2007.

1. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I'm not interested in this from a format war perspective but from a technical perspective.

When DVD came out, almost immediately so too did Multi-Region players. With blu-ray and its region coding the same hasn’t happened.

As a lot of us have not bought into blu-ray due to the region coding issue, I'm wondering what the delay is around Multi-Region blu-ray players. Is it due to BD region coding being technically more difficult to crack than DVD region coding? Is it a legal issue? When are we going to see Multi-Region BD players?

2. andythescientis

andythescientis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    My sneaking feeling is, that sales are so limited at the moment, it simply isn't viable for anyone to bother creating hardware hacks for region coding at present. If i remember correctly, i bought my first stand alone, a sony in about 1999 and at the time all the multiregion hacks seemed to require hardware mods, it wasn't until much later that the controler code hacks started to appear. Where these a way for the larger CEs to unofficially compete with the chinese players? The chinese simply didn't seem to bother with region coding, and the DVD forum never seemed bothered.

Oh and as for the PS3, i think it's likely it'll be hacked soon, although the problem with that is Sony can patch it really fast with forced updates so i'm not sure it'll ever happen large scale like the ps2.

3. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    The BD region code is confusing and a pain for the consumer. I don't think it will "cracked" anytime soon and could easily be overcome if the studios made all their discs region free as Warner Brothers do.

It's so frustrating to see a title you fancy and then find it's locked to a region not supported by your player. :(

AVI

4. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I do remember that my first Multi-Region DVD player was chipped rather than there being a hack.

Regarding updates, if all BD players are going to be internet enabled then could we see the same problem with stand alones? You buy a multi region BD player only to get it patched by Sony after a forced update?

5. aniki

aniki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    Agreed. Region coding sucks a**!
    -
    Back when dvd was born I bought a Pioneer 717 for £600 and paid £150 for a multi-region mod. At this time there were virtually no discs for sale in the UK.
    Luckily most new widescreen TV's were NTSC compatible so importing was a breeze.
    The handset hackable players came much later.
    -
    With Hi-Def I have a MUCH bigger problem.
    I buy SD disc from all over the world, region 1,2,3 & 4.
    If I buy Blu-Ray, I get mediocre SD performance and can only buy my movies from 1 region or have 3 players.
    If I buy HD DVD, I can buy HD from anywhere but can only play 1 region of SD discs or get 3 players.
    -
    I may be in the minority, but this suggests that until MR Hi-Def players are available, its a bit of a no win situation...

6. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +214
    Please be aware that there is a multi-region (for SD-DVDs) BD player, i.e. the UK spec Sammy BDP-1000.
    As mentioned in several previous threads, there is a hack for the unit, try running a search for more details.

7. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    I bought my first DVD player in 1997, it was a Marantz (DTS and RGB output were premium features), and it was changed to multi-region with remote-control sequence -- my AV dealer did it in the shop. :) All depends on the brand ... Pioneer and Sony were classic culprits of hardware mods required for multi-region.

StooMonster

8. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    It will play blu-ray regions A, B, & C?

9. Avi

Avi
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,064
    No it will allow muti-region playback of SD DVD only. :)

AVI

10. 7hil

7hil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    Ah, I'm on about blu-ray multi-region ability not SD-DVD.

11. charris cy

charris cy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33