1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are US sony tv's higher spec's then uk sony's?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by rvd48, Jan 15, 2004.

1. rvd48

rvd48

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i've been looking through sony style USA and their tv's are highly spec compared to equivalant UK sony tv's and also their styling is different, does anyone know why this is?

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    because the US is a more competitive market?

3. bigb

bigb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    and Sony (along with other suppliers) see the UK ripe to put less into the product and charge more=bigger profits:mad: :mad: :mad:

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    COuld it be UK wages?

5. Beastie Boy

Beastie Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HDTV is very popular in the US so the manufacturers all produce HD capable sets.

Cheers, Beastie.

6. sonofmoth

sonofmoth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    and the US site is more honest. They have 34" and 30" TV's advertised. I guess, unlike over here manufacturers have to say what size you can see rather than how big the tube is.

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Perhaps you should have said "HDTV is available in the US", since if it were available here, manufacturers would also produce sets for the UK market (although obviosuly the hi-res plasma & LCD panels should be capable)

Actually, i think another hindrance may be the connections on sets - in the US it's mostly composite & S-Video and now component, whereas in the UK & Europe you've had SCART for a number of years as the main connection interface (with S-Video din plugs & a RCA composite as the front input), so the sets are going to have some differences because of this, and I'm guessing Europe is a smaller market than the non-SCART countries, so cost-wise, having to produce 2 versions of the same set isn't inclining companies to fill the European versions full of features...

8. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I reckon that Europe hasn't been technology driven like US, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong and Singapore. Its not only US that has HDTV, Japan too, and I wouldn't be surprised if S Korea has it too. HK doesn't have it yet.

Also in these markets consumers tend to update products more frequently, e.g. in HK people change their mobile phones every quarter, whenever there is a new one, so it is more competitive hence manufacturers need to launch products more frequent with better specs in order to keep/increase/not to drop market share.
    In Japan, 7year+ cars are dead meat, while in Europe, the majority of the carpark is older than 10year's old.

People in Europe, stick to their stuff much longer, so why should they launch new innovative products so often?

US is a 370million single standard market, while Europe has different standards making it expensive to adapt and convert.

And we musn't ignore China, they are well on passing Europe in technology. Shinco and SVA has already launched EVD "enhanced video disc" which displays up to full High Def lines - 1080i from a movie, a true competitor to blue-ray and hd-dvd camps. EVD are primarily targeted to 1.3 billion market of China, but has plans to expand to some markets in Asia. They are also developing a own 3G standard, as they don't think 3G is good enough.

Oh, I mentioned it in one of my own threads, that TLC Corp in China has bought Thomson (also prob acquiring siemens and alcatel mobile divisions) to become the world largest CRT manufacturer.

Wasabi