Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Why are televisions silver? Mine`s not now!

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Nick Odgers, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Nick Odgers

Nick Odgers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I could never understand why televisions are grey/silver instead of black. You never get a projection screen with a grey border. My Panasonic 36PF-10 is five years old and has a few scratches on the case. I have just got some black paint and given the case a coat. Both the set and the picture look better to my eyes, although if it was a brand new set I would have been a bit nervous about doing it. Why are televisions grey/silver anyway?

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    It's all down to fashion, or specifically to sell more sets.

(Not that TG would ever be cynical, of course. ;) )

As with skirt lengths, fashions come and go. :lesson:

I have a 20 year old silver VCR that was the height of fashion in 1985.

After several years when black was "in", it's now looking good again.

Now, where have I stored my flares? :rotfl:

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    It's driven by demand. The current ratio for the company I work for is that silver TVs outsell black TVs by around 7-1.

4. rgvyan

rgvyan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll all be black again in 5 years. A few mobile phones have already started to creep back in a 'sophisticated black finish'

On the other hand, maybe Philips have hit on a winner with that rather attractive Rover-esque plastic wood finish :oops:

Still, keeps us Product designers in jobs :D

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    but choice of quality black sets is limited, B&O sell more black Avants than silver...............................(and wedgwood blue are very few and far between as were the red ones when they made them)

6. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, is silver the new black ? regards, yt

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What about the Sony HQ100-It's SILVER AND BLACK!!! lol.............

8. Craig Armstrong

Craig Armstrong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guys, can anyone suggest a black 32" widescreen CRT? My girlfriend insists that her new CRT has to be black to match her new fireplace.... Looking to spend £700-800. The only TVs I've found so far this morning are as follows - any of them good? (I know the Panny is supposed to be very good but its not completely black) :

a Loewe:

http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=2798

JVC HV-32D40

http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=2798

Panny TX-32PD50 (part black)

http://digitaldirectuk.com/products_moreinfo3/index.asp?product_id=6510

9. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    True enough. The further up the price range you go, the harder it is to find a black set. The manufacturer I work for has now limited black to the two cheapest models in the range. There's very little demand for silver further up the range.

10. Glenzo

Glenzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I think Black should be Back!!! (to the future....)

11. moopig

moopig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As almost everyone has pointed out, it's fashion. But I don't know whether it's the consumers or the manufacturers driving the fashion. I was looking to buy a new TV and video a few years ago when the switch from black to silver was really gaining momentum and found that all the good kit was silver only. I decided not to buy. Having a shiny silver surround on a TV seems crazy to me. My old TV is dead now (for the 3rd and final time) so I had to buy a new one last week. It's a Panasonic which has a silver cabinet but dark border around the CRT.

To me silver looks like cheap plastic masquerading as metal. Tacky. Yuck. It seems to show up all the scuffs and scratches more than black, too.

I really don't understand silver car stereos though! A couple of years ago I fitted a rather nice Alpine head unit in my car. I found the silver thing so distracting while driving, especially on sunny days, that I had it taken out and the next model down (black!) fitted instead.

moopig

12. Leeray3

Leeray3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Craig,

I had the same dilemma about 6 months ago. I refuse to buy a silver TV as personally I think that look cheap and plasticky. I looked around for months trying to find a black 32 inch CRT that looked good.
    I ended up buying the Loewe Nemos as it looks stylish, is black and could be bought for £850 just before Christmas.
    Picture quality is superb as well.
    I have had loads of people come over to my place and comment on how good this TV looks and that it is much better/stylish in black than the current silver TVs. Two of my mates have even gone out and bought the same set.

I had a look at a Sanyo TV in black and that looked cheap and the picture was naff :thumbsdow

I had a look at the JVC 32D40 after reading sound good reviews regarding pic quality but when you see this TV with your own eyes its looks horrible in my opinion. The border isn't just black, it black with some glitter in it :eek: (which doesn't show up on the pictures I've seen on the net!) I was gutted when I saw this, even my misses said it looked terrible and she hates all this home cinema stuff.

I also looked at the Panny 32PD50 but there seem to be too many people complaining of faults with this set at the time so I went for the Loewe Nemo's and never regretted it :thumbsup:

13. Jonno1

Jonno1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Our existing Panasonic TV is black, bought in 1996 and the cabinet still looks as good as the day we bought it.

My parents bought a silver panny 2 years ago and the silver now looks a sort of off grey colour. (yuk)

We are hoping that out panny will last until the analogue switch off so hopefully by then new IDTV will be black again

I agree that silver looks cheap and nasty (much like the fake aluminium trim you now get in car interiors). With a neutral colour like black (I know it's not a colour really) you can better concentrate on the picture.

We should have a campaign to bring back black!

14. Sarah Nya

Sarah Nya

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    God knows why companies think people like silver, I avoid it like the plague!

I'm a glossy black person :D

15. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AC/DC have already written us a theme song "Back In Black"