Why are T-amps not a big deal in the UK?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Marcos, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Marcos

Marcos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Amazon doesn't turn up much, I've never heard anyone talk about, yet, ironically, we have pretty small houses and rooms here. You'd think people would be all over this.

Any tips? Can't find Dayton easily here

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    T class is simply an implementation of D class, but with a control scheme based around digital signal processing provided by a Tripath chipset. The Tripath chipset used onboard a T-Amp is what distinguishes it as being a T-Amp. Just like D class amplifiers you can find full size examples, but they are more commonly used in car audio systems because of their efficiency. The issue is that both D class and T class try to mimic or emulate AB, but in a home where you've mains electricity then little if any benefit is gained by using the more effecient D and or T class amplifiers. It is far easier to design and manufacturer AB class amplifiers that sound just as good as the more expensive and difficult to design D or T class amps so why would the manufacturers bother paying Cirrus Logic for the rights to use the Tripath chipset? Cirrus Logic bought the rights after Tripath went bankrupt in 2007. Most of the T-Amps you come across on eBay are actually modified car audio amps with an external AC PSU. Some aren't even true T-Amps and lack the Tripath chipset. They are mass produced (faked) in China and given silly names that have no meaning.

The high end UK manufacturer Sonneteer use T class amps:
    Products - Sonneteer-British made luxury high fidelity.

Bel Canto and Audio Research are another two manufacturers to use true T class amplification.

25 Microchips That Shook the World
    A list of some of the most innovative, intriguing, and inspiring integrated circuits

25 Microchips That Shook the World - IEEE Spectrum

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  3. Marcos

Marcos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks I appreciate the time taken to write that out.

On that note, what should someone get as an amp for a couple of generic bookshel speakers? Obviously the idea that the only option is a full size/full width amp just seems so OTT when we all know for a fact Bookshelf speakers could be driven by something that could fit inside one of the speakers (the logic here is that active speakers have an amp built into one of the enclosures).

I find it strange that no one has invented a small 'external desktop hard drive' sized amp with bass, treble, volume and IR remote and a couple of inputs.

That sounds like a dream box that would be suitable for so many casual users who just want a simple bedroom set up etc.

4. Marcos

Marcos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    **In other words, am I crazy to think people should be able to buy one of these units but without all the extra fluff:

[​IMG]

Just the amp, input jacks and a few control knobs. (Ignore the speakers)

5. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,061
    Higher quality amplifiers incorporate toroidal transformers. It is usually the space required for a transformer and a symetrical signal path layout that dictates the actual size of an amplifier. Less "fluff" doesn't nescessarilly mean a smaller box. There are plenty of amps out there without intergrated CD player, DAB tuners or even tone controls, but this doesn't make them any smaller.

I think your problem is that you mearly associate the size of an amp with power? The size is as much dictated by the layout as it is by the amount of power it creates. The closer you cram everything together, the more chance of distortion and hence the less desirable it becomes.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  6. MarkP80

MarkP80

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I bought my son a T-Amp when he went off to university, about five years ago. He used it with his iPod with a pair of MA bookshelf speakers and we both thought it sounded great. It's still going strong now!

7. BobbyMac

BobbyMac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,167
    You mean like these?

D 7050 Direct Digital Network Amplifier - NAD Electronics

D 3020 Hybrid Digital Amplifier - NAD Electronics

8. planetc

planetc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have a pair of the original Teac Al 500 tamps. Great little amps, as long as you don't want to achieve silly volumes.

9. buba

buba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have one of these Bantam Gold connected to the iMac running some Q acoustic 1030 floorstanders.
    It is left on all the time and used probably every day for 3 years.