Question Why are subs so expensive when you can get powerful drivers for cheap?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by willz, Aug 13, 2019.

1. willz

willz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    This is a really noobish question but I'm intrigued.

My BK sub was 459 quid something like that, yet I notice you fan get "1000w" 12" subs in a cabinet we with amp for 50 quid, this is a huge difference. Why the price difference, what is to be expected between subs with a price difference like this?

2. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,969
    What's the cheapo sub then?

3. willz

willz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In general really, but for example, this "Fli" 1000W Sub for 40 quid on the Facebook marketplace. Think it's a 12". I'm not trying to justify getting a cheap sub I'm just curious why the value is so largely varied.

Another example, a JBL1000 12" in what looks like a 25L cabinet with an amp for 120 quid

4. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,969
    Well the first is obviously not a home av sub and the second is I think a "partybox" and is a lot more expensive new though also "arguably" not really a home av sub.....

5. willz

willz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Right but price/performance. I'm sure you could adapt them?

There is a clear difference in price performance, ok one is car audio, it still outputs sound and I'm sure these drivers could be used in a house, so if you're getting much more performance for much less money why are full on home theatre subs so much more expensive for the equivalent performance?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +431
    1000W peak, but 300W RMS. Goes down to 25Hz, but doesn't say whether it is -3db or -6db, or worse. Also, doesn't say how much distortion. I would guess that your BK sub can go lower, with less distortion.

7. simonb3665

simonb3665

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Realistically you would struggle to build anything bk do for less money than they charge. If you have the machinery to build your own box then thats just the cost of mdf but then you need to finish it. I think bk use peerless drivers (100 -200) and ive never seen a 1000w plate amp less than 300 unless you are talking car audio which you cant use in your home. Car audio stuff stuff at the low end is very limited frequency and designed to work in a small cabin not the whole space of a room. Still there are plenty of drivers for car audio that are about 5k.
    For 50 quid buy one and have a shoot out :)
    There is diy subwoofer board on avforums and if you go have a read through a few build threads there are lots of links on how to educate yourself about driver and amplification specifications if you have the interest.

8. Andy98765

Andy98765

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,370
    Never believe the printed specs of cheap kit. Example a High powered AV amp costing around £1500 will produce around 100watts all channels driven (7) and have a power consumption of around 850watts and weigh a ton. A cheap home cinema system quoting 1000watts output (5.1) will have a power consumption of around 140 watts and weigh a couple of pounds, you can do the maths yourself as which one will give you the quality high power output.
    Your BK sub no doubt would weigh around 50 times the weight of the cheap one you refer to, again another piece of spec that comes with quality kit so it can really handle 1000watts.

NEVER believe the specs especially cheap kit. Would not surprise me the Sub you looked at ran via a plug top PSU.