Why are some channels 4:3 only?

probedb

Ex Member
Reaction score
Might be a daft question but why are some channels (notably UKTV related) 4:3 only? They obviously buy in 16:9 material then show it at 14:9 in a 4:3 frame.

What's the point apart from bandwidth? Annoyingly my cheaper LCD TV doesn't autoswitch between 4:3 and 16:9.

..and nothing to do with freeview but why is Formula 1 still 4:3 as well...Golf, Tennis, Football, Cricket are all widescreen and many hi-def now too :(

You answered the first question (Bandwidth).

Not just Formula 1 (or follow the leader), but football from the likes of Spain and other parts of Europe which is televised by them with our english commentators is often in 4:3.

I emailed channel five about this and they responded saying that 4:3 material was cheaper to buy in (notably from the USA) than the equivalent 16:9.

Widescreen isn't as common in some countries as it is here. That's why a lot of the overseas feeds are still 4:3.

Also, it costs one helluva lot of money to upgrade everything in the broadcast chain to widescreen. Some companies will wait until their existing equipment dies a natural death rather than replace it now.

Thanks for the explanations :)

GaryB said:
Widescreen isn't as common in some countries as it is here. That's why a lot of the overseas feeds are still 4:3.

Also, it costs one helluva lot of money to upgrade everything in the broadcast chain to widescreen. Some companies will wait until their existing equipment dies a natural death rather than replace it now.

I believe ITN (and hence C4 news) are due a major technology refresh soon (a year or two) and will go 16:9 then

Andy98765 said:
You answered the first question (Bandwidth).

Is there any bandwidth difference?
16:9 and 4:3 are the same pixel resolution so why the extra bamdwidth for 16:9?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom