Why are so many Wii Games out of stock?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii-U & 3DS' started by splatz, Jan 20, 2008.

1. splatz

splatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I can understand stock problems with Wii hardware as it needs to be manufactured, but I cannot understand why there are shortages of games - games are simply copied onto disk.

So any idea why there have been stock shortages with games at the moment? These shortages just seem to fuel silly prices on fleabay, etc.

2. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It's a typical Nintendo thing and nothing new. The same was the case for all their previous consoles especially the Gamecube. Nintendo as a company has always been cautious and tends not to over produce or produce more then what they anticipate they can sell. Even games that have to be just duplicated cost money and if they don't sell present a loss in revenue any unsold stock usually get's returned to the publisher/manufacturer. The worst affected games are Nintendo's own developed and published games.

As a result any game, or piece of hardware they make that is in big demand ends up being in short supply. The Christmas period and right after is always the hardest hit. I don't think that is something that is going to change.

3. Kube

Kube

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +369
    I was in my local Sainsburys on Friday, Wii games had a dedicated 3 shelves, they had one copy of Tiger Woods '08 and that was it.

4. PinheadedMike

PinheadedMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +819
    I went into our local tesco they have top 40 wii games and had 4 in stock:D

5. shed

shed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It does seem a bit silly to have such a stock shortage. As the OP says, It's a bit more understandable with the console itself but it can't be that difficult to produce more copies of games once they realise supply is a bit short of demand.

Although, to be fair, there is a huge demand out there it would seem. I was in GAME over the weekend and was very surprised to see 3 copies of Mario & Sonic Olympics on the shelf given the thread on here about all the problems people have had getting hold of it. I went over to look at the PC games section and by the time I came back (5-10 minutes at most) all 3 copies had gone!

6. splatz

splatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Stores must be crying out for stock at the moment. What is the point of Tesco or Sainsburys listing top 40 games, etc, and dedicating self space but only stocking 3 or four titles per store?

Mario & Sonic Olympics is another example where stores must be crying out for stock. Everybody is asking for this game.

I can understand the logic that Nintendo don't want to over produce, but there is no excuse for a shortage of games given the ease of disk duplication - it is almost an on demand service these days.

7. mouseymousey

mouseymousey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    In this day and age of high speed boradband it's about time that games were downloadable.

After all, it's easy enough to download an illegal copy. Having to wait for stock of a game seems very outdated to me.