• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

WHY are recievers so dam BIG!?!?! help, small receiver needed!

sir nodrick

Standard Member
I've never had a decent TV setup before, my flagship TV was a 28" panasonic, now I have just bought the Pioneer Kuro LX5090 and i want to get an AV receiver and separate speakers, but i cannot find an AV receiver to fit anywhere!!! they are all [EDIT by MOD: Rule 2 Infringement] MASSIVE!!! Are they all ~430mm (17") wide???
I have a sideboard that i wanted to put everything in. The cupboard part of the sideboard i wanted the reciever to go in is 425mm wide, 470mm deep and 570mm high... is there such thing as a narrow or an upright reciever??:lease:

Last edited by a moderator:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Most are a standard AV rack size yes , so unless you change the cabinet you have you are going to be seriously limiting your options.

There are smaller units , but in almost all cases these are at the lower end of the quality scale , such as all in one surround packages and the like.

sir nodrick

Standard Member
in a world of minature electronic components, fast advancing technology, they are still making sound system receivers bigger than they made VCR's in the 80's??? well, thats just ludicrious!!! time for the receiver industry to catch up me thinks.....

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The issue is the huge power supply most need to produce 7 x 100watts etc unlike all-in-ones which claim 1000watts out with a 120 watt power supply things are going to get big.
Depending on your budget they are around.

Robsk1

Take a look at the Cambridge Audio 640 and the Pioneer Amps. Just about thin enough I think.

A

awhb

in a world of minature electronic components, fast advancing technology, they are still making sound system receivers bigger than they made VCR's in the 80's??? well, thats just ludicrious!!! time for the receiver industry to catch up me thinks.....

Wholeheartedly agree. Who the heck needs/uses the myriad of composite and s-video switching in an AV-AMP anymore? They just waste space and add to the cost, and detract from the most important area, namely the audio.

The first AV-AMP manufacturer to concentrate on just providing HDMI video switching and the rest on the audio is going to kill the market.

:lesson:

Last edited by a moderator:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member

If you want muddy bass and tinny treble it's easy.
Yes, you used to be able to get an amplifier about the same size with two 40W channels but now you get seven 120W channels with better low and high frequency response.

alexrose1uk

As the others mentioned its down to heatsinks and power supplies. It takes a decent heatsink and power supply to stably provide the power people desire; without dying from heat! If you think AV Recievers are bad, you should see some of the equipment musicians use; they're absolute huge, and not just because of the speakers, but because of some of the heat and power requirements.

Things have moved on; you now get more power in the space you used to, but this still produces a lot of heat. (Seriously walk into a hi-fi shop, find a high quality reciever and look through the vents in the top, the metal heatsinks won't be hard to miss!)

McFaber

As the others mentioned its down to heatsinks and power supplies. It takes a decent heatsink and power supply to stably provide the power people desire; without dying from heat! If you think AV Recievers are bad, you should see some of the equipment musicians use; they're absolute huge, and not just because of the speakers, but because of some of the heat and power requirements.

Not if you're using Class D amplification (see Rotel, Bel Canto>very small, Pioneer etc.) and in Arcam's case(AVR600)Class T...:D

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Who the heck needs/uses the myriad of composite and s-video switching in an AV-AMP anymore?

The issue being power and the size of the components needed to make sound , all that would happen if those extra connections were removed would be a large blank space on the back of a enclosure that was the same size.

If a decent sounding amp could be made small it would be.

As it stands , and this pretty much goes for all audio gear , as you go up the scale in quality and power , the boxes get bigger.

Cyril

The issue being power and the size of the components needed to make sound , all that would happen if those extra connections were removed would be a large blank space on the back of a enclosure that was the same size.

If a decent sounding amp could be made small it would be.

As it stands , and this pretty much goes for all audio gear , as you go up the scale in quality and power , the boxes get bigger.

I agree. As far as heat and power are concerned for generating sound, you can't change the laws of physics.

However, it would be nice to have a selection of low-power HDMI switching AV receivers with HD audio processing. This would be great for small bedrooms and kitchens and small lounges. Something like the Onkyo 906 with half the power and half the physical size would be nice.

The processing chips can be made to get smaller and cooler, like in PCs, but the physics of sound production limit you on how small your amp can be.

While we seem to be making progress very well in processing power and putting more functions on one chip, things like amplifier and power supply efficiency and battery efficiency don't increase much each year.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom