Why are Projector screens so expensive !! A bloody Con

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stewart C

Projection screens are so expensive it is beyond belief.

A piece of cloth that gives certain light configurations for £1500 to £9000 upwards. It's ridiculous. The advertisers quote ludicrous prices for screens. How much do they cost to build ?

If you buy a lower cost to the screen i.e. not the extremely over priced Stewart screens it will still cost around £2k. Then a projector of £6k upwards.

****es me right off.

------------------
Stewart C

Try www.avscience.com - import a Da-lite or Stewart Screen for about half the UK cost inc. VAT and shipping costs. UK is a rip-off.

They only have Draper screens on their site but send an email to sales with your needs and you'll get an email back within a few hours.

My Da-lite high power, 16:9, 120" diagonal, UK price £1300, shipped and vated price £800.

Similar savings for Stewart screens - don't feed the vultures!
Paul

it's not wholly neccessary to pay a fortune for a screen with todays CRT projectors. They are bright enough not to need help anymore. I spoke to the techies at OWL before buying mine.
In my case I bought a 7 foot 1.5 gain motorised screen from Robert Whyte of Glasgow(Ad in HCC) for around £400, 18 months ago.
Avoid a 'fixed' ratio i.e. 16:9 as they cost more. Why? who knows, but with a motorised screen you just take it up/down to the required ratio. With a fixed screen...well, it's fixed!
Have you tried companies like 'Vision' or 'Creation Station' or 'Big Screen UK'?
---------------------------------------------
www.baldyplex.com

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 26-09-2000).]

My Sony VPL-VW10HT points at a plain white "blackout" roller blind obtained from John Lewis. It's 8 feet wide and cost £145 to special order. 6 foot ones are available from stock at £49, I think. The Sony doesn't need any "gain" as it's quite bright enough. Of course, it ain't motorised!

in fact, drop me a mail at [email protected] and I'll send you a Da-Lite Excel spreadsheet with all the $$ prices in and you can do the comparisons yourselves!!

I'm just about to throw in the skip a parabolic, high-gain screen - 6ft x 4ft + stand if anyone wants it for free.....came with my Electrahome, but I bought a Da-Lite screen (10ft diagonal)from a company in Brum for £225 inc VAT & delivery..and yes, they can be a rip-off!!

I have a 100inch pull down da-lite screen for about 200 pounds bought in HK

Infact I bought this screen with a Barco 508, free installion, free component cable(20ft), free amp (nakamichi AV10), free speakers 2 front, 2 rear, woofer and centre(all JBL) all for about 3900 pounds in Hong Kong. Now tell me where you can find anything close to resembling that offer in the UK. The UK is just so expensive I am surprise anyone actually buys anything. Barco is also made in the UK but for some reason you ship it to HK and it becomes cheaper ??? go figure

Arthur,

Non 4:3 aspect ratio screen are more expensive because they are made in far fewer numbers. Most screens are for commercial presentations and are used with 4:3 panel devices.

Certain screens cost more for various reasons. None of which are usually to do with the gain of the screen material.

I use a screen made from MDF at home. It works, ie I get a picture. When funds allow though I'll be getting a Stewart screen and believe me when I say there isn't a big dealer discount......

It's only once you've actually seen the difference these things can make that you start to appreciate them. Like all of you though I wish they were cheaper over here.

Gordon

------------------
StereoStereo
Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

Maybe contact Ricky for a Diverse screen they're reasonably priced.

Indeed so let's lock it

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom