1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why are projector bulbs so expensive?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stormchaser, Jan 19, 2003.

1. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    when my projector bulb,for my compaq mp2800 finally burns out anyone know where I can get a reasonably cheap replacement?......but more annoying ,why are they so bloody expensive?...is it a professional conspiracy among manufacturers?
    cheers
    :confused:

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes!

Rather like printer consumables except without sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile for the cloners - yet.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The intelligent market would get together and utilise common bulbs..... or maybe they are already and we dont know about it!

ad

4. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about bulb life?
    Why do the likes of Phillips, Sim and Panasonic amonst others provide 6000hr bulbs whilst the rest of us have to fork out between £200 and £400 for a 1000-3000hr replacement?:mad:

I sold my last PJ because I couldn't justify the expense (or was looking for an upgrade excuse;) ....

5. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There can be no justification for the price of replacement bulbs.

There you have it, that is what I firmly believe and nobody has proved otherwise to my satisfaction.

I accept that the bulb has to provide sufficient light with as little heat output as possible in a suitably sized fitment with the requisite spectrum of light giving a reasonable life span in safety and reasonably environmentally friendly. (er..... excuse me if I have missed anything out.)

Now even with these parameters I can't believe that over £100 for a replacement is reasonable.

Is there anybody in the industry out there reading this willing to argue this point? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested if there is.

By the way this is the one thing holding me back from buying a DLP projector. My CRT televisions have such a long life span and are very forgiving.:)

6. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's time we made a stand.
    If the expense can be justified then I don't mind paying the cost however, I'd like to know the following:

1. What they cost to manufacture.
    2. Principle components.
    3. Manufacturers profit margin.

We need to have reasnably priced supply of bulbs for all the popular PJs. If I could buy a spare bulb now I wouldn't hesitate even though my current bulb's only done 2hrs.

I saved over 50% on my PJ from the land of the rising sun.
    Perhaps we should start making enquires for a power buy for diff PJs?
    What do you think?

CKA.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think a little adverse publicity in the national media, of the 'rip-off' variety would help.

The general public may not (yet) be much interested in home cinema, but they love a headline like;

"five hundred quid for a light bulb"

I'm sure the press can be relied on to make it seem even worse than is.

How about a few e-mails to some consumer organisations, just to get the ball rolling?

8. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think any adverse press about the cost of projector bulbs is going to have any effect on manufacturers prices.

Projectors being a luxury item it is likely that the price will be what ever they think they can get away with rather than anything reasonable.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Projectors arent a luxury item anymore! Paying under a grand for a top quality budget model is less expensive than a top widescreen tv! I have a feeling that it will take a couple of years, but as those who are now buying into projectors (of which there are a great many) start to have to replace bulbs, there will be uproar! It is just scandalous to tell us that a bulb accounts for a third of the value of the projector! I would not be surprised to hear that the manufacturers of the projectors get hold of the bulbs at under £10 a pop.

ad

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,780
    It would be unfair to 'focus' on projector spares.

Rip off prices occur wherever anything is of a proprietary shape or specification ie. only can be used for one specific device.

Other examples include:

Rechargeable battery packs for portable devices (eg laptops, 'walkmans' - those that don't use standard sizes).

Any spare part for any car (except Fords - which need spare parts in such huge numbers that 'clones' are readily available at rock bottom prices). For example - try costing the small bit of moulded plastic that is used as the rear door interior handle/armrest.

11. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've been in touch with Price Japan who can ship a Sharp bulb for £223. Not sure wether this is still cheaper than UK price when VAT and duty are added.
    If it works out to be less than £280 then I'll be sourcing mine from there.

CKA.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,353
    You'll pay it, what more justification do they need?

13. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    er........no I won't. Haven't yet and am not going to till replacements become a reasonable price.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The thought of a PJ for <£1000 has tempted me, I wont be buying a new TV for 18 months at least but when i do i want a plasma 42", but hang on for half that i can get a PJ that will project 8ft!!! Hmm if bulbs dropped to £100 and lasted at least a year of dailing veiwing before a noticeable fall in quality i would buy one straight away but 1000 hours is a 3 hours a day for a year!!!And £400 is too much!!!!