why are projector bulbs so expensive?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by stormchaser, Jan 19, 2003.

1. stormchaser

stormchaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    hi
    when my projector bulb,for my compaq mp2800 finally burns out anyone know where I can get a reasonably cheap replacement?......but more annoying ,why are they so bloody expensive?...is it a professional conspiracy among manufacturers?
    cheers
    :confused:

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes!

Rather like printer consumables except without sufficient numbers to make it worthwhile for the cloners - yet.

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The intelligent market would get together and utilise common bulbs..... or maybe they are already and we dont know about it!

ad

4. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about bulb life?
    Why do the likes of Phillips, Sim and Panasonic amonst others provide 6000hr bulbs whilst the rest of us have to fork out between £200 and £400 for a 1000-3000hr replacement?:mad:

I sold my last PJ because I couldn't justify the expense (or was looking for an upgrade excuse;) ....

5. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    There can be no justification for the price of replacement bulbs.

There you have it, that is what I firmly believe and nobody has proved otherwise to my satisfaction.

I accept that the bulb has to provide sufficient light with as little heat output as possible in a suitably sized fitment with the requisite spectrum of light giving a reasonable life span in safety and reasonably environmentally friendly. (er..... excuse me if I have missed anything out.)

Now even with these parameters I can't believe that over £100 for a replacement is reasonable.

Is there anybody in the industry out there reading this willing to argue this point? I'm sure a lot of people would be interested if there is.

By the way this is the one thing holding me back from buying a DLP projector. My CRT televisions have such a long life span and are very forgiving.:)

6. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's time we made a stand.
    If the expense can be justified then I don't mind paying the cost however, I'd like to know the following:

1. What they cost to manufacture.
    2. Principle components.
    3. Manufacturers profit margin.

We need to have reasnably priced supply of bulbs for all the popular PJs. If I could buy a spare bulb now I wouldn't hesitate even though my current bulb's only done 2hrs.

I saved over 50% on my PJ from the land of the rising sun.
    Perhaps we should start making enquires for a power buy for diff PJs?
    What do you think?

CKA.

7. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think a little adverse publicity in the national media, of the 'rip-off' variety would help.

The general public may not (yet) be much interested in home cinema, but they love a headline like;

"five hundred quid for a light bulb"

I'm sure the press can be relied on to make it seem even worse than is.

How about a few e-mails to some consumer organisations, just to get the ball rolling?

8. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I don't think any adverse press about the cost of projector bulbs is going to have any effect on manufacturers prices.

Projectors being a luxury item it is likely that the price will be what ever they think they can get away with rather than anything reasonable.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Projectors arent a luxury item anymore! Paying under a grand for a top quality budget model is less expensive than a top widescreen tv! I have a feeling that it will take a couple of years, but as those who are now buying into projectors (of which there are a great many) start to have to replace bulbs, there will be uproar! It is just scandalous to tell us that a bulb accounts for a third of the value of the projector! I would not be surprised to hear that the manufacturers of the projectors get hold of the bulbs at under £10 a pop.

ad

10. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,234
    It would be unfair to 'focus' on projector spares.

Rip off prices occur wherever anything is of a proprietary shape or specification ie. only can be used for one specific device.

Other examples include:

Rechargeable battery packs for portable devices (eg laptops, 'walkmans' - those that don't use standard sizes).

Any spare part for any car (except Fords - which need spare parts in such huge numbers that 'clones' are readily available at rock bottom prices). For example - try costing the small bit of moulded plastic that is used as the rear door interior handle/armrest.

11. Cornelius

Cornelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've been in touch with Price Japan who can ship a Sharp bulb for £223. Not sure wether this is still cheaper than UK price when VAT and duty are added.
    If it works out to be less than £280 then I'll be sourcing mine from there.

CKA.

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,391
    You'll pay it, what more justification do they need?

13. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    er........no I won't. Haven't yet and am not going to till replacements become a reasonable price.

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    The thought of a PJ for <£1000 has tempted me, I wont be buying a new TV for 18 months at least but when i do i want a plasma 42", but hang on for half that i can get a PJ that will project 8ft!!! Hmm if bulbs dropped to £100 and lasted at least a year of dailing veiwing before a noticeable fall in quality i would buy one straight away but 1000 hours is a 3 hours a day for a year!!!And £400 is too much!!!!