• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why are plasmas only 1024x768 pixels?

neo265

Standard Member
Apologies if asking what has been asked, but I had no luck with the search.

As I understand, 720p requires 1280x720 pixels and I've noticed most plasmas are only 1024 pixels wide. Why is this? Is the loss of horizontal resolution noticeable?

I have a Panny 37LX70 on the way. Finally joined the HD era.

Thanks.

pjskel

Prominent Member
Plasmas have always been made using rectangular pixels, so you get 16:9 aspect form factor, but with a 4:3 image.
It's the one thing since 50"+ started using square pixels, that has held me back from jumping in at a more affordable 42" model.
Hopefully this will change next year, but it may be longer, depending on how much it costs the manufacturing plants to change over to the square pixel glass.

Deleted member 186976

Plasmas have always been made using rectangular pixels, so you get 16:9 aspect form factor, but with a 4:3 image.
It's the one thing since 50"+ started using square pixels, that has held me back from jumping in at a more affordable 42" model.
Hopefully this will change next year, but it may be longer, depending on how much it costs the manufacturing plants to change over to the square pixel glass.

ehh? 4:3 image ?? on a 16:9 screen. So black bars all over the place? :confused: Or otherwise a stretched image?

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
Er, no. It's a 16:9 image, using a 4:3 resolution with rectangular pixels.

and no, it's not really noticeable. After all, how many sources are 720p anyway? So you've got 3 or 4 different resolutions that you need to fit across however many pixels your screen has.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom