Question Why are my games crashing?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Thug, Jul 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    System: Gigabyte X99 UD4 mobo, Gigabyte 1080 card, 16gb Crucial Ballistix ram, W.10, no overclocking, all latest drivers, 2 monitors, PSU Corsair RM850.

Been playing Wreckfest for several weeks without issue until last week when it just froze on any screen and showed artifacts. I could still move the mouse and hear clicks but nothing on screen would happen until i shift/alt/del out of it.

#23609809.JPG

I then tried Call Of Duty WWII, which crashed showing a DX_HUNG message (or similar).

I then tried Battalion which just crashed to desktop with an error message 'Battalion has crashed'.

I have also tried VR (Oculus Rift) which just stutters and wont do anything.

Things i have tried:
    I have tried both monitors.
    Reformatted all my hard drives and put W.10 on again (effectively starting from scratch).
    Tried unplugging all my HD/SSD and replugging them back in.
    Took all componants out, vacuumed and blew out PC and reconnected everything again.
    Tried with everything disconnected except my kewboard and mouse.
    My mobo has lights on it and i have noticed that only the lower half of the board lights work and the upper are all off (not sure if significant).
    It works great in 2d desktop and web surfing, its just when i try and run any games it crashes (and only the pas tweek or so).
    Any ideas what could be causing this?
    No sure if it could be the mobo or the GC?

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Power supply have you checked that?

3. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    no and not sure how without buying a new one

4. mr_yogi

mr_yogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    What are your CPU and GPU temps when gaming, maybe your GPU fan is gunked up or completely broken?

5. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I cannot remember. Where am I? This kebab is cold.
    Ratings:
    +841
    I've had a few PC problems over the 20 odd years I've been messing about with them so I'll offer my own pearls of wisdom. I'm not claiming it's a silver bullet but it's from my own experiences.

You've been gaming good for several weeks before this happened. It could be a power supply glitch but there's other stuff to try first before looking at that.

If I had your screen shot the GPU would be the first thing to check. You've swapped components about, done a clean and not had any blue screens. This is good. A blue screen usually indicates that somethings not plugged in properly or some hardware is freaking out.

The fact it crashed when you are gaming and not when you are surfing the net is another clue.

Check the temps of your GPU. Something like MSI Afterburner or GPU temp will do the job. I doubt it's your CPU. Your CPU would throttle down to protect itself if it gets too hot so that shouldn't crash your games. It would just make your FPS plummet and have bad performance but it's worth checking. You could run something like prime95 to do a CPU stress test and check the temps but I'm not sure it's the CPU.

When the games crash out is there anything in your event logs that give you any clues? It may be worth running some benchmarking software to see if it regularly occurs. How long during a gaming session does it happen?

Do you have an older GPU knocking about that you could put in its place to do some testing? Is there a buddy nearby that you can take your GPU too and try on his machine? A 1080 is an expensive bit of kit so I hope you've got it under warranty.

Not wanting to be a harbringer of doom but I did have a GTX770 that just stated glitching (of course when it was out of warranty) temps were fine and everything. It failed to give any clues to the fault and I had to get it replaced (which by the way was replaced by the GTX Titan that the wonderfully generous @Kwman gave me. I credit him whenever I mention my own GPU)

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    If it is crashing straight away then although GPUs heat up quickly it is suggesting that there is more of an underlying problem.

Either the GPU has had a failure of some description or possibly there is an issue with power consumption and hence power supply. I wondered if this was the case with the MB lights not powering up depending on where their power is routed from.

Either way you are going to need to swap out your GPU to test whether it is that. If that resolves the issue great, then its either onto PSU or MB to try. Not much you can really do as its under load that it fails.

7. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +841

Good spot, I missed that
    this poses a whole new ball game. Presumably these lights were on at one point? Is the PCIe slot in this side of the mobo where the lights are not working?

8. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I have tried a temp monitor and they seem fine.
    CPU is around 42deg maxed out and GPU indles around 40 and goes up to around 64 (at a guess), so certainly not overheating.
    Yesterday as soon as I started a game up and within the menus it crashed. This morning I ran it and managed to race a full game on Wreckfest (still only 2 or 3 mins though) before it crashed.

The lights are difficult to explain. They don’t have any function as only cosmetic. There is a chip cover on the bottom with a yellow pencil thin light travelling up the board to another chip cover (and similar on the left side). It’s the light at the top near the ram that has stopped working. My pc is under my desk so didn’t really notice it before, I have only noticed now due to the side cover being removed. It might be best googling images to get a better idea.

None of my mates will let me try their card in case my mobo/PSU fries it, and won’t let me try my card in their case it creates driver issues.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  9. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Not good, you are stuck between a rock and hard place, I am not local otherwise I would offered to try a quick swap.

Short of trying to RMA the card assuming it still has warranty and it's faulty there are limited options.

You could possibly buy another card and then return it if the problem still persists bit cheeky but possible I guess.

10. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I bought it June 2017 and I contacted eBuyer who have actually been quite supportive but not said if it’s still under warranty or not. The impression I got was they wouldn’t turn there back on me (well, hopefully not).

11. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    Well depending on the model the ones I looked at a Scan had a 3 year warranty so you might be best trying that way.

From memory EVGA had a swap out scheme where you could buy a card from them and so long as your card was faulty and returned to them they would refund you. Not sure if you have the same with gigabyte. That way at least you can test ?

If it is the graphics card though and its 13 months old on a years warranty then the retailer holds the liability. I would not expect a £500 graphics card assuming well treated to fail. They would be liable under the Consumer Rights Act but you might have to prove this.

12. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    It’s the GPU.
    I am sending it back to eBuyer on Monday.
    I have ordered a new one which I will either keep as a replacement or return for refund if mine is swapped/repaired.

13. drinkturps

drinkturps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +841
    Glad you got it sorted out! What was it that finally confirmed it was the GPU?

14. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I tried it in someone else's PC and it crashed theirs. I also tried another one in mine and that worked fine.

15. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I received an email off eBuyer who apologised and said that I have to deal with Gigabyte directly.
    I don't mind doing this as its over 2 years into its 3 year guarantee.

So I emailed Gigabyte and received an email back in about 5 mins with an RMA number.
    I have to send it back at my own expense and also arrange for its delivery back to me. This can be done in 3 ways, 1) I can send £15 and they will send it back, 2) I can arrange my own courier (apparently the most popular way), or 3) collect it from them in person.

I chose option 2.

Apparently their turnaround is 2 - 3 days, so they should get it tomorrow and I hope to hear something early next week.

I will update this thread when I do.

16. enigma1701

enigma1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    That's a bit cheeky that, I've heard of sending at your own expense but funding the return on faulty goods. Naughty naughty!

17. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,969
    I did feel the same, but then thought that really they didn't 'need' to give a 3 year warranty. If it was only a year like most companies then I would have been stuck, so paying £20 odd is a small price to pay I guess.