Why are Marantz so weak in wpc?

Would you buy a £700 50w receiver?

• Yeah, 50w is fine

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Wtf? 50w is only for quiet people! shhhhhh!

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Minimum spend £2k+ for some Arcam dB's baby!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - Marantz aren't good value for money

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Yes - Marantz has quality amplification

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None above (or "it depends"/"its complicated")

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
All this talk about power and haven't said anything about speskry impedance, and it's impedence throughout the frequency range and what effect it has on the amplifier

slim01

All this talk about power and haven't said anything about speskry impedance, and it's impedence throughout the frequency range and what effect it has on the amplifier

Yeah the graphs earlier had the correct sensitivity / imp, but I was wondering how does anyone even know how when or what their speakers dip down to in ohms?

Specs on my q550 just says they're 8ohm and can dip down to 3.5ohm minimum.
-
Freq = 58Hz-28kHz (±3dB)
Sensitivity = 87dB (2.83V/1m)

I've just bought a Marantz sr6010 for bargain price of £300.
Has hdam, 2 independent subs, 110wpc (2ch Dr @ 8ohm 0.08 thd), 11.2 (but weirdly only has 7amps so maybe only 11.2 for processing?), has atmos and better audyssey (xt32 Pro?), all of which I wanna try.

Wanted a Sr5015 really (for the Alexa voice control) but as before couldn't justify the crazy £400 over the £600 denon x2700h.

Yeah the onkyo (or kef q550) is a bit bright sometimes but hell I'm wondering if this "marantz" sound is gonna sound boring. "flat" sounds boring. I get to see next week.

Mr Wolf

how does anyone even know how when or what their speakers dip down to in ohms?
It has to be measured. Some manufacturers publish their own measurement graphs (e.g. Arendal, Monoprice), some reviewers measure it (e.g. Stereophile) or you can measure it yourself.

The only impedance dip you need to be concerned with is the one that typically occurs between 1 and 1.5 octaves above the resonant frequency of the bass drivers e.g. Stereophile measured the KEF Q900's dip as circa 3.2-Ohms at 160Hz.
1654334793809.png

Fortunately this low impedance point happens to coincide with the lowest possible phase angle of 0° (dotted line, scale on right axis) which eases the overall load on the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom