1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are interconnect cable shielded and speaker cables (generally) not?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by markshanks, Aug 2, 2004.

1. markshanks

markshanks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've noticed that interconnect cables always seem to be shielded, but speaker cables rarely are. Why is this? Is it because interference is less of a problem with speaker cables due to the much greater current (as the signal has been amplified)?

Also, I have noticed that you can get speaker cables that are shielded. What would the advantage of these be? Are there only particular situations where you would need shielded speaker cables? Does anyone advocate that speaker cables should be shielded rather than unshielded (or vice-versa) based on their experience?

Cheers.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I think this is correct, a noise introduced into a high level (speaker level) signal will not have a great, if any, effect as when introduced into a line signal (interconnection).

More money for the manufacturer. :D

I would say unshielded cables are fine for most usages, but shielded speaker cables might be necessary if they run directly parallel to AC wiring for a longer distance. This would most likely introduce noise.
    The best option is however to avoid such a situation whenever possible.