1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are fixed screens so expensive?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by spamboy, Dec 17, 2003.

1. spamboy

spamboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as the title really. Just seems a bit odd. If I can buy a entry level pulldown screen for £100 and I can build a fixed screen for £30, why does it cost £400 to buy a fixed screen (often more than an electric one)?

Maybe there's a market for someone to make just the frames so we can buy our screen fabric of choice to add to it? LMP perhaps? (just got one of their projector mounts, very nice.)

SB

2. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +941
    I asked a retailer this question as it also surprised my how a bit of aluminium and screen can be twice as much or more :eek: that an electric screen that could be deemed as more desirable etc. The short answer i was given is that there is more demand for electric and pull down screens and are therefore cheaper to make as production runs are longer where as for fixed screens they are far shorter due to the demand.

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    In my experience equivilent quality electric screens are typically around twice the price of fixed ones.

4. Cool-hand

Cool-hand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Imo there is a perceived value for screens and this is maintained by the product manufacturers as shown in their cost. The true value (real world) is not by the price. Stuart make a good fixed screen, they will tell you they have spent millions on R&D and need to recoup costs. Bull as far as im concerned. Screens are not complex pieces of machinery or software. Stuart charge the same (dollar for pound) as many companies do across borders. Its called price fixing buy only allowing certain groups or outlets to release your products. Most companies do it unfortuneatly, the who av world as any other industry revolves around money and winning you over. Even the forum is here for a purpose!?!

I prefered it when I was blinkered to it all as it annoys me when i see (after a marketing degree/course) how people are manipulated by turns of phrase/threads/other people to get there money out of them. As is almost everything!!
    I once thought it would be a nice line to get into but now think, f*** that. Im too honest!

CH

ps. don't let that put you off buying a lovely Screen though :)

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Stewart don't sell in the UK, they use a distributor. The distributor sets the price not Stewart.

6. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same end result - inflated UK/€uropean prices :(