Why are DVD players useless at CD music?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by michaelab, Oct 18, 2002.

1. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have a 10 year old Marantz CD50SE and a brand new Philips DVDR 890. I use the digital out on both of them to my Marantz SR4200. So how is it that the 890 is cr*p at CDs (compared to my CD50SE)? What more is there than reading digital PCM data off the disc and sending via the digital out? No part of which should really be prone to any sound altering interference since it's all digital right?

Baffled... :confused:

Michael.

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Probably because the Philips player does not have a separate CD laser, hence the DVD lens has to 'squint' at CDs, resulting in a mere approximation of the sound...

There's been loads done on this subject before, but generally you have to go for a good high-end DVD player to even get reasonable CD performance.

3. michaelab

michaelab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    How can you have 'an approximation' with a digital source? The laser either reads the 1s and 0s or it doesn't. If 10111000 is what's on the disc then that's what any 'reader' that works will read whether it costs £100 or £10,000 or whether it has to 'squint' or not.

The same goes for digital interconnects. I accept that interconnects can have an impact on analog signals, that's pretty obvious, but even a bit of bell wire will transmit 1s and 0s pretty unambigously so how can it possibly make a difference?

Michael.

4. rjw

rjw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    But it must make a difference, otherwise how could manufacturers justify a £100 digital interconnect ?

:D :D :D

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its not that simple, theres error correction going on when the laser reads the disc, takes into account vibration, faulty and scratched discs etc. Then it has to convert digi to analogue and you then get major differences with converters, power supplies and clock accuracy.
    A DVD player is designed for one thing a CD for another, its not impossible to make a DVD player sound as good as a high end CD player, just expensive.
    Cant answer the bit on digital interconnects, infact I just use an analoge interconnect between my DVD player and amplifier. Until somebody proves otherwise thats the way it will stay.

6. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is in fact the reason :)

The data on DVDs and CDs are burnt on in different ways, and the formulation of the two media are not the same. So any dual-purpose player either has two lasers, or one which can offset, as mentioned, to read the media properly. This compromises the ability to playback at the best performance (minimizing errors, laser stability, jitter.....)

CD-RWs are closer to DVDs in format, which is why "Mini-DVDs" can be created using CD-RW, which will work in some standalone players.

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The last time that this subject was covered in any depth, the discussion got so heated that several members ended up being banned.

Use the search facility to find "Which is best, optical or digital" and read the arguments.

8. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here we go again...:rolleyes:

DVD players useless at CD music ?????
    This topic has been discussed million times in various forums.

It's an old story. (Some people call it a myth. But no.. it wasn't myth, IMHO.)
    That depends on dvd players.