1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are CRT boards more interesting?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by uncle eric, Mar 9, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, for one thing, you get a better class of Home Cinema fan. Just joking Jeff.
    Seriously, I think its the complexity (for most) of these monsters. Some of us are forever tweeking and messing around with their CRT's even when there's no real need.
    Ok, by and large, if set up well, they can be incredibly reliable. However, many problems can occur that can be a pain to solve.
    To me, that just makes the end result (which is still unbeatable) that much more rewarding.

The poor bulb guys must be bored out of their heads. How do they mess around with or tweek their single lense pj's?

Hang on a minute. I nearly forgot. Most have to get to work every few weeks cleaning out all the dust sucked up into the optical path which causes those nasty on screen blotches.

Others now use filters to try and acheive better colouration and or black levels. Some use lenses that all but make pixelation go away (at a cost of course).

I'm going to start a new venture next month. I will be the worlds first producer of special colour filtered, colour corrected, black level enhancing, pixel reducing CONTACT LENSES.

Bulb guys. Just imagine. All you have to do is pop them on, hey presto. No more expensive optics or additions. For people who dont like contacts, dont be alarmed. I'm also producing these in a slightly dearer spectacle variety :cool::eek::cool:

Eric

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,126
    LMAO:D :D :D :D

3. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    enough of rubbing it in!! Some of us have no option!! :mad:

short of a new house......

ad

4. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RED ALERT, RED ALERT...............WE HAVE AN INTRUDER!!!!!
    :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :mad:

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am one of the converted.......just havent got the cash to prove it!

:D

pleaaassee accept me!!

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Buns

there are usually cheap CRT's on ebay. There is a Barco 801 at the moment for £800. Only 7 hours to go.

Surely thats a small price to pay to become a member of the CRT boards :)

Darren

7. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have it under consideration......but there is the cost of the projector, a major problem of finding a professional over here to set it up, the need for a scaler of some sort......then the real problem is the room......The only way possible would be to put the projector in a cofee table, but that would only be about 4 feet from the screen. There is then issues with actually getting cables to that location! And what to do with my sanyo!

As you can see it has been considered! I am more in need of some serious amplification upgrades! I'm sure my many posts about naims amps must have been noticed by someone!

The plan is that next year is my year of crt!!! :D

I think this thread alone is tribute to why i think the crt boards are more interesting.......if i was on the fixed panels im pretty sure i'd be being hassled to by a panny or a sony!

8. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I need a big van and a week free by the sound's of it.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    And a building contractor too!! The logistics of the room are not ideal to say the least!

Just out of interest......a second hand crt below say £1500.....would it out perform my silly sanyo given that there would be no initial scaling available?

......have i just said that........no really i do need audio first! This really has got me thinking though. How much could i get second hand for my sanyo plv 30.....at arounds a year old??

Would anyone in the know.......ie. roland......ever consider a trip over here? A long weekend holiday which happened to have an install to do?! At a fee of course????

ad

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The CRT forum is better for many millions of reasons (mostly being a lack of pixels, each counting indiviually as a reason).

But mainly, really, because it is not full of people after 'the cheapest price' on somthing, which is nice. There is also more effort put into CRT's, so people appreciate them more, and the CRT owning (replace with 'converging' if you fell it is appropriate) community is smaller so we all know each other better, like an extended family (or summit).

Thus endeth mine preach.

11. BrianCurran

BrianCurran
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BUNS

Whats the story on your sanyo?
    I have a spare Electrohome ECP3100 that needs a good home?

Brian

12. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well short of this thread being viewed as a little snobbish-which im sure is not the intention-heres a counter argument;-

I am a crt fan-always have been-and under the right conditions,a good crt will produce the best picture...under the right conditions..the conditions being total blackout(not always practical),convergence and electronic focusing spot on,right screen,no chance of the crt being moved(..like if you have kids and dont want a huge lump stuck on your ceiling).

In addition to this,you spend half your life fiddling-even after the bloody things been set-up.

The top lcd`s and dlps however offer a good picture under most conditions,easy setup(in about 5 mins..),a level of sharpness off the bat that is difficult for most crt`s to attain unless correctly calibated,bolder colours,better brightness.

To tarnish ALL lcd`s and dlps with the old lemons of ..screendoor and dust blobs is a little unfair-

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..CONT;-

...I have the Sony vpl 11ht-and it suffers from neither intrusive dust blobs or evident screendoor.

Uncle Eric makes the point that crt owners are eternal tweakers then goes on to poke fun at lcd and dlp owners for using filters and tweaking.??????????????

I guess hes point is that the crt tweakers are more technical tweakers-not so basic...like thats something to be ashamed of??

Uncle Eric,before you make such comments read Steve Smallcombes website regards the SMART technique for calibration of projectors using analysers and computer s/ware tailored to "check" your own ISF calibration.
    This is not basic stuff..

Everybody,regardless of what technology they plump for-whether it be a dying technology like crt or emerging and fast improving technology like lcd and dlp and lcos-want to get the best out of their projector.

The difference is choice,with a better lcd or dlp you can get a good picture out of the box for non-tweakers and a brilliant picture if you are prepared to tweak.

The main criticism of lcd and dlp technology was that;-The blacks were not as black as crt.

With the newer dlps-and with a calibated 11ht the gap has closed to become negligable.

In fact,I now prefer the punch and vibrance of the colours of the Sony to the crt`s I have had over the years..I prefer the brightness,the convenience,the size(..and lets not forget the ugliness of crt`s).......and now ..after calibation...I have the black level as near to the black level of a top crt.

As I say,I was and still am-a crt fan...but when I was a crt owner,I didnt denegrate someone for owning an lcd-good luck to them for getting into home cinema..

There is no place for snobbery now from crt owners,especially as most of the manufacturers are stopping production of crt and getting into dlp etc..

Maybe thats what it is,the crt owners can see the writing on the wall for their technology and constantly seek to justify ...

Rather like the people who still have a record deck...

But I will lay money on the fact that in 3 years,most of you crt owners will have a dlp!!!!!
    Doug:D

14. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I must tell my kids to stop running around the ceiling.
    Memo to myself, confiscate their anti-gravity shoes.

Eric

15. Chip

Chip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does this one have a sealed optical unit?
    If not, I will wait for the first 'DYSON LCD' :eek: (with no dustbag)

Chip

16. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Now guys leave the poor little 11 alone, it is only a LCD. It doesn't know any better;)

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am I missing something. I thought ALL projectors worked best 'Under the right conditions'

Eric

18. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,126
    Dougie,

You keep refering to crt's you have owned, yet you have never once told us what models and makes etc. I think this will help in you arguement somewhat, rather than a general sweeping statement.

19. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

I'll bet you haven't

Bet accepted - how much?

20. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,
    I'll cover half of that.

Doug,
    Three years you say. Let me see. My 808s currently has around 900 hours on both chassis and tubes.
    If I watch a movie every night (which I dont), that would be around 600-700 hours per year. Three years equates to something like 2k hours.

Oh dear, it seems somethings wrong somewhere.
    You see, most CRT's, correctly set up, last 10-15k hours plus. My problem is boredom. At 650 hours per year (a film every single night) there will still be 14/15 years to go after your three year CRT Armageddon before my CRT would need new tubes. (Roland, you better quit smoking as I need you around here when you reach Bus pass age :eek: to install new tubes)

Never mind, hopefully LCD/DLP might catch up by then eh.

Eric

21. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    i thought that I was the only smoker left.

22. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland must have started since last November, cos he didn't when spent the day installing my pj. And we all know smokers start killing people after about 20 minutes if they don't light up.

23. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Phil,

You must be the only person that didn't know that in company with charles, chompy and carol harvey our douglas had an Ellie.

That accounted for one sale

24. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,126
    Oh yeah the PJ that trounces all:rolleyes:

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excuse me..I have never owned an Ellie.

Why I should have to proove everything I dont know-but projectors I have owned;-

(1) Sony 1032

(2) Rcf 4001

(3) Seleco 500

(3) Barco 708

(4) Hitachi lcd

(5) Sony vpl 11ht.

I had crt`s for about 7 years.

I am not anti crt!!

I also know uncle Eric,how long crt`s last-my point was that with the rapid improvement of specifically dlp`s-in 3 years why would you need crt?

Even cinemas are getting into 3 chip dlp`s..

My next projector will probably be a dlp.

We all know crt`s are fading out,so why be belittling and insulting to someone that suggests it?..it is a fact..

But really,why have an elitist preference to any projection technology?

Isnt it about enjoying the film..

Ian,
    I have reported your posts to the Moderator,which are continually insulting to me,I ask that if you have something to say worthwhile-whatever your point of view-that you dont get nasty,
    Many Thanks
    Doug

:confused:

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention...

Roland,
    A well calibrated Sony vpl 11ht has a contrast ratio of well over 400:1(Sonys figure is 700:1-but this is o.t.t.).

Crt`s I have owned have varied between 600:1 and 1000:1.

It has been well documented that over 400:1 contrast ratio blacks are not blacker-once real black has been achieved your there.

I agree with this,the Sony`s blacks on show now are as black-if not blacker than any crt I have owned.

There is one area of grey on the Avia greyscale that the Sony is weak on,but this does not alter the black presentation overall.

People get too hung up on the specs though,there are other factors,certainly 1000 ansi lumens gives more punch to blacks than 250.

I have also found that to get the best out of crt ..you need a good line doubler-this then rids you of line structure-but can soften the picture.
    But I certainly dont rate the cheap and cheerful doublers built into crt`s.
    So you gotta really go for a seperate one.

I certainly dont rate the i-scan or the rock.

I would go Faroudja route + Sony g90 if I was in the market for crt.

Or maybe Barco cine 8?..A couple of Necs I can think of...

But your talking a lot of dough..For me I wanted a great black level,the ability to improve the out of the box picture by calibration if i wanted to...great colours..good internal doubler/scaler....One box-not too big-domestically friendly.

The Sony for me,was as close as I could get to the strengths of crt and dlp -with none of the pitfalls.

But would i swap my Sony for a g90 and Faroudja?

Course I would...

Would I swap it for a s/hand Barco and i-scan?

Not a chance..
    Doug

27. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,603
    Mr PM Choy banished.
    Chaps, Doug has asked me to ask you to stop being antagonistic towards him. His original post was fair and I don't like kangaroo courts or picking on people. I'm convinced he's not chompy else I would have kicked him.
    So please lets cut him some slack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.