• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Why are certain drivers so good?

doublea

Established Member
Hi All,

I've spent about a month now reading through different posts on this forum about DIY subs and thought I would like to have a go a building one next year.

I was planning on going down the Inuke route as it seems very cost effective (I have a very young family and not lots of cash for projects).

Then out of the blue I was passing my local well known pawn shop and found a Gemini GXA 750 power amp for £50. It claims to do 750 Watts RMS at 4 Ohms in bridged mode. It has a duel speed fan as well so seems pretty quiet. I thought the power is probably quite exaggerated so I gave it to a friend who is a sound engineer and asked him to try it out for me (I don't have any speakon connectors etc either).

He said that it drove an 18" bin at the club no worries and didn't seem far off the quoted spec so I am quite happy with my find.

My main question is around the drivers that everyone seems to use in their projects. My only experience of subs was using them in cars growing up. It seemed that as long as you had a named brand (I.e Kenwood or Pioneer) and spent more than £30 they hummed.

What makes the drivers that everyone talks about so good? Peerless, Fi etc? What I don't get is if they are just kicking out mono sub bass, how can there be so much difference? Is it the size box they can be used in, the build quality, value for money, how musical they are or all of the above?

I am not questioning people's judgement or experience. I will certainly go down these routes as they are tried and tested I am just trying to understand what makes them so good.

Thanks for your help

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom