1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are BBC DVDs so damn expensive???

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Popester, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd love copies of the Blackadder series, Fawlty Towers Series, Blue Planet etc but why are they always so bloody expensive. Far more so than your average DVD and never discounted in sales or stores generally.

I'm sure people would buy a lot more if they were more reasonable priced. Our money paid for them!!!:mad:

2. ice_cool

ice_cool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a bummer that the bbc is expensive, but get this...

There is more of a choice in region 1 versions!

Take Blackadder for example. The whole "complete" collection dvd in the uk is series 1 -4. No extras. :(

Region 1 has all five series and the special features (christmas carol special etc...). :D

It just shows you that the bbc has sold out to region 1. Region 1 has a greater back catalogue and their versions are better than ours!!!! It really ****es me off that the bbc does this :mad:. No wonder i don't buy any region 2 discs anymore (apart from european certain original films, french, italian etc...).

I would recommend buying from abroad, as the exchange rates make it cheaper for us at the moment. Try deepdiscountdvd.com or others.
    Even with custom tax (~ 20%) on all orders over £18, you are still laughing at the region 2 inferior dvds with expensive prices.

ice_cool

3. alanrob

alanrob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    What gets me about the BBC is that we Brits have already paid for these programs to be made.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could supply the DVD's to us for just the price of making the disks :D

4. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh come on, grow up – sold out to region one – what nonsense.

BBC Americas is simply following a different release schedule and path – I’d doubt that anyone in London has any real say on what gets released in the US as opposed to the UK. I agree that its frustrating re BlackAdder – that’s why I chose the R1 route, and I have to say that the PAL to NTSC conversion is pretty darned good.

Its horses for courses – eg the market price for a disc in the UK versus its VHS equivalent, and also what sells in what market.

Whilst the BBC could never be accused of being the quickest off the blocks, they are now coming through with many interesting releases, and certainly if you are a Doctor Who fan, then the BBC are delivering superb products at very keen prices.

And as for the “we’ve already paid for it” bleat – well why not extend this to ITV releases – after all we’ve bought the products whose advertising paid for the programmes.

5. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

Maybe I'm wrong, but weren't there only 4 series of Blackadder made, the last being Blackadder Goes Fourth?

There was also, I believe, one Christmas Special and the godawful Blackadder Back And Forth or whatever it was called, the cr@p that was made for the equally godawful Millennium Dome and subsequently ended up in constant repeat on Sky One.

6. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    And why oh why will they not release the second series of This Life. The first series was out for a long time but the better second series still hasnt appeared. *isses me off that does.

:mad:

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the Comic Strip. Mr Jolly Lives next door. Rik, Ade, Peter Cook, Nicolas Parsons and booze.

OI BBC come on.

8. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    The BBC have some great archive stuff that they could put out on DVD.

Just don't come crying to us in 20 years or so when they start looking for 'lost episodes' like they did with Dad's Army and Dr Who etc

What better way of archiving material than putting it out on DVD !

9. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jow about transferring it to D3 and other digital tapes for long term storage as they have been doing with all their Quads and 1 inch masters.

I certainly wouldnt want stuff archived in MPEG 2...

10. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    It wasn't meant to be taken too literally.

I know they archive their material on industrial digital formats, although I'm not sure if it all gets archived though and some still get 'lost' even.

11. Amarok

Amarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get BBC DVDs cheap from http://www.playserver2.com/play247.asp

They have a whole section of BBC DVDs on offer like the complet Fawlty Towers for a mere £17.99 or The Blue Planet also for £17.99.You can save yourself a lot of cash and they deliver free and pretty fast!:rotfl:

12. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, if you look at the posts on this thread you'll see that they were made over a year ago in 2002 ;)

13. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I'm pretty sure those early Comic Strips were made by an independent production company - and were certainly shown on CH4 anyway.

I rather enjoyed ...Back and Forth. Not quite up to the standards of the four main series, but better than the vast majority of comedy output these days - with one or two noteable exceptions.

Don't forget that much as DVD has caught on in England, the market is more mature, and bigger, in the US - meaning 'less popular' releases, ie: not blockbuster movies, are more commercially viable. There may also be rights issues to overcome here which pose no problems abroad.

14. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i got the complete blackadder from work the other work - it cost me £24!!!

Gary