1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are all my friends shocked?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by AllTorque, Aug 6, 2004.

1. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've taken the plunge and gone plasma for my next tv - to me, I don't mind sacrificing a bit of picture quality over a CRT for such an advanced technology, super sleek design and just overall damn sexiness.

However, my geeky friends keep going on about the inferior picture - a common comment is "you should ONLY buy a tv based on the best picture quality available - hence CRT. Anyone who buys for other reasons is just a fashion victim", especially considering a plasma is about three times as pricey.

What do people think here? Are we all just posers?

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe they've never seen a properly calibrated plasma being fed a decent source. ;)

3. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Arcangel, but CRT is still regarded as the absolute pinnacle in picture quality, which to some "geeks" means plasma is inferior.

For me, it's more the material I'm watching which is important!

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quite happy to say my plasma stuffs any CRT I've seen and that includes a Loewe Aconda, Philips Pixel+ PW9527 and JVC's HV32D25 DIST. Got an Aconda sitting here in the office, the old chap has the Philips and I used to own the JVC.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ask them where to buy a 42" TUBE TV. Plasmas are bigger flatter and more expensive than CRT (well than most CRT) If you want to put a 3" or smaller TV in the corner, then dont buy a plasma! if you want a wall mounted large display then go plasma!

6. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Whilst CRT's may still have the edge and be the best in terms of overall picture quality, they are not without their own set of PQ issues. Just take a look at the CRT section and see how many posts there have been on the TX-36PD30, the telly I was initially seriously considering buying before I plumped for my 37" Viera.

I find the problems that I pick up with PQ lie in two main areas:

1.) I was used to watching a 27" or 29" 4:3 TV and to get the same ball park picture size when migrating to 16:9 format means jumping to at least a 32" or preferably a 36" screen. Unfortunately, a 36" CRT isn't the lightest kid on the block, weighing on average between 80 to 90kg.

2.) The more important issue as far as I am concerned: All the digital picture processing that manufacturers stuff into their TV's with all the digital artefacting that produces to lower PQ. For me this affects CRT's just as much as plasmas or LCD's. I still maintain some of the purest pictures I have seen are from well maintained TV's from 15-20 years ago. Every modern TV I've seen recently seems to exhibit whatever form of digital processing in an adverse way. Even worse though are the digital broadcasters within the UK who compress the image so much that the picture goes in 'block-o-vision' whenever there is fast moving action in a scene or a picture with a fair amount of detail but with a soft focus, such as waves on the ocean.

In the end the best compromise for me was the plasma television, and out of the choices available the Vieras produced a picture that was most pleasing to my eye, even if they are only 852 x 480 pixels.

I think most of the general public view plasma owners as people who have more money than sense because they are under the opinion that the majority of plasmas still cost £5k+.

Just my two penneth :)

S.

7. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think that your 'geeks' need to take a walk to a decent retailler and check out the quality of properly set-up plasma with a decent feed.

My plasma looks as good as the Panny CRT that I sold when I switched to plasma.

8. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Is that so?
    Perhaps they'd like to come and check out my calibrated HDMI input...

9. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    At the end of the day, the visual experience of watching a film on a larger screen (projector or plasma) will outweigh a CRT as they have smaller screens. That's without even arguing over the picture quality merits of both (and I think you can get a fantastic picture on a well set-up plasma, which plasma owners are more likely to do).

I have 4 friends with 36" CRTs (2 Sony, 1 Panasonic, 1 Phillips & 1 Hitachi) and none of them have been properly set-up. In fact, on a couple of these I actually detest the picture settings!

10. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it one of your lucky friends has two 36" tv's :smashin:

11. TheBoingoBandit

TheBoingoBandit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    One possible answer...

Jealousy?

:rolleyes:

12. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,972
    Not necessarily....imho although EVERY type of display has it's drawbacks, CRT without a doubt offers superior image quality over a plasma. WHICHEVER route you chose, you sacrifice something, whether it be looks, cost, image quality, geometry etc etc the list goes on! Makes me laugh when I see the Plasma vs CRT arguments, as the respective owners will all fight their own corner and will obviously be biased towards the display that they went for.

Having owned several displays - including CRT, RP TV, LCD projectors, DLP projectors - and finally a plasma, I'd still say CRT offers the best picture quality.

But would I go back to CRT? Not on your life. A plasma still comes close, and the fact that I don't have a 100kg monolith that's almost as deep as it is wide sitting in my living room, is a big plus. And ultimately - yes - plasmas do look cool. :)

13. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    CRT has better contrast ratio (dynamic range/shades to give the picture an illusion of depth), Plasma has better resolution, but only when you start talking about progressive scan high definition CRT's do I consider them to be better PQ than plasma, interlacing and line structure on traditional CRT's are very distracting when you've been used to progressive scan.

14. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder what kind of friend goes on about someone elses very expensive purchase?? Seems like jealousy to me.
    Personally I wouldnt buy a plasma because they are way overpriced( ditto LCD's)- nothing to do with picture quality.Just as much as I wouldnt pay £20 for a dozen eggs. For me its just as much about perceived value.I wouldnt, though ,disparage someone elses treasured posession. Thats just rude!

15. Abit

Abit
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For me the best picture quality for smaller screens go to CRT and for larger screens Plasma. My opinion is based on HD sources though. I don't particularly like standard definition on Plasmas. Then again, I guess after seeing enough HD plasmas you get a bit spoiled and you end up being more critical of SD. That will be even more the case when 1920x1080 plasmas come out.

16. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the same kind of response from my family and friends, they all love my 42" plasma but cannot understand why I would pay so much for a tv. It's all just a matter of priority, they seem to have no problem spending three or four grand on a sofa but think i'm the crazy one. When you consider how much time you spend in front of it I see it as a great investment and once gone big there is no going back, just try and sit in front of someone else's tv and you will see what I mean.

17. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Precisely.
    People happily spend £30k or £40k on a car when they can pay just £5k for one that does the job adequately.
    You could apply the same logic to anything.
    Houses, cars, clothes, watches, computers, etc.

18. AllTorque

AllTorque

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's what I think Mr Canavan - love your signature by the way! Heh heh

19. DonMaico

DonMaico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    absolutely ! I'd buy one but if I did my wife threatened to buy a horse and if that happened muggins would have to drive her every day to look after said creature as she doesnt drive . So unless they drop remarkably in price I'll have to do with my CRT

20. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a woman you would think she could see that size does matter and bigger is in this case better.

21. PepeDuran

PepeDuran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I totally agree with AllTorques "geeky" friends.
    I was recently going to "upgrade" to a plasma display and went to a few retailers to see them in the flesh.
    I wondered why all the retailers were mainly showing "animated" dvds on them. Then I saw the feed from analogue tv and then from satellite tv. Plasma has a great picture on "animated" full bright colours but give it a bad input and it looks really bad. CRT seems to hide the bad quality better than plasma. :clap:

22. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You need to see one set up by someone who knows what there doing, my Hitachi is great but remember they need to be seen from at least six feet away, close up dont look so good.

23. Promised Land

Promised Land
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It makes me laugh when people say it's too much to pay for a "television".Plasma's are way more than t.v's,they're the centre piece of a complete AV system.Look at their uses:Computer Monitor;Movie Screen;Video Console Screen;Photo Slideshow Viewer and even..............t.v!They're so much more than the box that sat in the corner for BBC1,of years gone by.

24. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ......Holidays.......5 grand to take the family to States, Far East, Bahamas, <insert dream destination here>, etc.....have an absolutely super time for 2/3/4 weeks and then.........what's next ? A few T-shirts, photographs, souvenirs and a few memories......

......but for some reason it's socially acceptable, whereas spending 5 grand on a hifi/home cinema isn't.

Curious logic. Any sociologists here care to comment?

25. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wonder how many members had to make some kind of comprimise or concession to there better half in order to get there plasma, tips might be usefull to other members.

26. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    She-who-must-be-obeyed said, "I want a big screen (the bigger the better) and a surround system to match the stereo."

I said, "Yes, my darling......here's the bill."

She said, "OK"

moral of the story (tip).....get a wife who likes hifi & home cinema!:D

Signed,

SW (not going on holiday to Provence this year coz we spent all the money on a HC system.........OK, and a new bathroom)

27. G Canavan

G Canavan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Good tip, although wives with those views are few and far between.

28. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Mine saw the Pio 504 HDE and asked "can we take it home?" I said "yeah sure get your platinum card out"....... conversation ended there!

29. Brogan

Brogan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +481
    Same here - mine forced me to buy the 504, AX5 and 868.
    Sigh....what a terrible ordeal she put me through :rotfl:

30. Fat Tony

Fat Tony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yeah Carlton, his main screen is Panasonic 36" CRT and has a Hitachi 36" in his garage for his playstation (although he sits about 30" away & picture is not good!).