1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are adverts so damn loud!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by GaryHiggins, Jan 22, 2003.

1. GaryHiggins

GaryHiggins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Was watching "Unconditional Love" the other night and when the HSBC thingy came up before every advert we were nearly deafended!!
    Why do they do this?
    Is it some sort of sumblininal (hardly!!) advertising?
    I certainly remember it...take it that it works then shall I?

2. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There was a discussion on this a while back. (might have been in the Sky forum)

Most adverts broadcast at the highest volume the law allows. (cause advertisers are soulless co%*&!$uckers ;)) They also use a flat (constant) volume for everything. (unlike shows which have varying degrees of volume for music, dialog, etc) Before I got my TiVo, I dutifully muted the adverts every time they came on because of this annoyance. Apart from ruining the mood of the show/movie you're watching, I think the louder an advert is, the greater the chance that you're going to tune out or mute the damn thing. (which completely defeats the purpose of having them on in the first place)

Oh, I nearly forgot. TCM has a terribly loud clip that plays before and after every ad break. This is especially annoying when watching an old movie with bad sound. (so my TV audio is cranked)

Course, now that I've joined the "Cult of TiVo", I don't have to watch anymore adverts. :p

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't watch much TV, so I could be wrong but there was always a drastic change in volume between the programme and the adverts on analogue terrestrial. However, I can't say that a notice any significant change in volume now that I watch DTTV.

4. plasmattack

plasmattack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's so that you can hear the ads while you put the kettle on. :D

5. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,130
    I was under the impression it was some sort of dynamic range compression: ie boosts lower volumes up and lowers really loud parts net result is that spoken dialogue and music really blares but big bangs are kinda unimpressive.

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I reckon the broadcasters turn down the volume as soon as a programme/film starts-we turn our tv/amp up so when the ads come on you can't miss them. they do it this way because apparently they are not allowed by bsa to increase the volume for ads.

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No, its because they have direct access to your volume control, most people dont notice it 'cos these days we all have remote controls.
    Before colour TV, you could actualy see the volume control move when the adverts started because of the highly prominent controls on the fake oak cabinets. That was even before Uri Geller bent all the spoons in our cutlery drawer and made the clocks run backwards.:eek:

8. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't give blair any more ideas.