why ARCAM does not allow download of latest firmware from their site?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Plump, Feb 24, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    why ARCAM does not allow download of lates firmware from their site?
    i know TAG Mclaren does this and i never heard of problems!

if ARCAM is affraid someone might screw up the player then they should simply allow ISO image of the CD to be downloaded and no specific files.

i know people having problems because of old firmware and dealers not giving updates away.
    cheers

2. damieng

damieng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have put the latest (and older) Arcam DV88/DV27 firmware on my site and have yet had Arcam request it be removed.

Firmware for players 1.70 and 1.74 as well as last few releases of each drive model are available from my site along with instructions for creating the ISO and for flashing the upgrade.

Regards,

[)amien

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    We strongly prefer anyone interested in upgrading the firmware of an Arcam DVD player to talk to his or her dealer, who in most cases is equipped with the necessary up-to-date Arcam issued CD-ROMs to do this or, failing that, to discuss it with our support team at support@arcam.co.uk

There are procedures to be followed rigorously to avoid a failed update and consequent return of the unit to Arcam to put it right -this is not something automatically covered under warranty. Whilst some of the users of this site are certainly more than technically competent enough to do all of this, the typical visitor to our website often is not. It costs us at least £50 (probably more like £100) in time and money to fix a failed update and we wish to avoid this wherever possible.

I trust that clarifies matters.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, i might understand this.
    but what i do not aprove is that there is no information about current firmware and software, nowhere on your site!!! and iut should be necessary because there are some problems around.
    i always like to point to the example how tag does everything. and people love this, and definitely some of them buy the stuff mostly because of that.
    thanks anyway

5. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I have to agree with plump here...without this forum there would be no indication of new updates to the software...my dealer hasn't a clue.. and only gets the updates in when I ring and ask for it...

Retro and John are the main sources for discovering that a release is out and what it fixes or adds in functionality.

In my opinion updates like the changes to the remote codes are huge changes in terms of usability.. and I am sure there are a substantial number of owners who do not know it exists.

So John how about a section under support on the website detailing the software updates, the fixes which are implemented and any new features.

One which comes to mind is the plunge option in one of the menus I have to admit I hav no clue as to what its for.. and so some documentation on the website would be great for my enquiring mind..

And BTW I would love it if the manual for the AVR200 (or at least some piccies of the rear of the amp) could be on the website.. so I could leanr a bit more about the features being going to my dealer.

Other than that I am a very happy DV88 owner

Opps forgot to mention the great DV88 FAQ run by Damien.. also a wonderful source of info... Sorry

Matt:clown:

6. damieng

damieng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If Arcam don't want the extra burden of adding these details or their site on a regular basis I am more than happy to receive periodic emails from them which I can add to the FAQ. Anyone doing a search on DV88 FAQ or DV88 firmware gets my FAQ top of the list.

Also, I appreciate Arcam are not enthusiastic about people doing their own updates which is why I have made the responsibility on the user clear and tried to put people off where possible. This is also why I do not put pre-made ISO's available for download, to prevent the casual user from "giving it a go".

[)amien

7. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Your points are of course noted guys. It's on the plan to do some or most of these things when we are on top of all the normal support issues. (It's eye opening to see how much more support we have to provide now are serious about AV - God help us all when the AV8 hits the streets!!).

BTW, PLUGE = picture line up generator, a series of video signals including below black for 7.5 IRE (IRE is a measure of video level from 0 to 100) set ups, i.e. NTSC in the USA. Such a signal is found on Video Essentials. After the release of the initial DV88 software in 2000 we disabled the DV88 from putting out below black in this mode because one or two other discs then caused picture shimmering; we put it back in as an option recently to help out our North American cousins.

On the AVR200, I expect it to go up sometime soon. I believe other manuals are on there - if not you can request them via e-mail from support.

ATB.

John Dawson

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the clarification Mr. Dawson.
    Nice to see there are open eyes outthere.
    I wish you as little bugs as possible with AV8 (but I still won't trade my AV32R for it :) ) (And You will definitely need download section then! )
    Cheers

9. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Thanks for the good wishes Plump.

As a point of clarification, the increase in support needed for AV is not all about identifying and fixing bugs (though of course this is part of it) - it's more about just explaining to people what the equipment does, or does not do, and why. A lot is just finger trouble. This includes many dealers as well as end users, despite our best efforts at training.

Remember guys, if all else fails, read the manual :)

John Dawson

10. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Erm... What is the current (non-beta) firmware for the FMJ27 BTW?

I'm currently on 1.74

Mark.

No need to reply.....
    1.76! - FOUND OUT IN ANOTHER THREAD!

:)

11. damieng

damieng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 1.76 firmware is now in shipping machines according to my FAQ contributors however I'm not entirely sure if the DV27 and the DV88 share the same firmware although they probably do.

John, any clarification on the firmware compatibility?

12. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I understand that they use exactly the same firmware.

I just edited my original message not very minutes after posting it.

Man you get a quick reponse here!!!! :D

Thanks

13. damieng

damieng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has something to do with AVForums emailing me every time somebody replies to a thread I'm in ;-)

[)amien