• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Why am i not impressed with this TV?

Evenflow80

My friend has a Samsung Q90T and it looks so so much better than my CX.

On his q90t HDR looks absolutely stunning. The higher brightness really is king, even SDR content looks sharper and brighter and more vibrant. The colors are just amazing and have incredible volume.

All I keep hearing about is how OLEDs have infinite blacks and and infinite contrast but does that matter to the human eye ? I watched the same exact 4k videos on YouTube i watch on my CX and even the black ones looks better on the q90t.

Unfortunately I didn't get to try any gaming and from my understanding the instant response time of the CX is best for 120hz games, but the ps5 is apparently struggling to even hit 60fps and im not a pc gamer so does that even matter ?

Tv reviewers are just so strange. For example almost every "professional " site out there says how amazing "Filmmaker" mode is right out of the box and is the "most accurate"

Wtf ? Are we using the same tv? Filmmaker mode is the absolute ugliest setting I've ever seen on any TV. Its extemely dark, colors are dull to thr point of almost being monochrome , and nothing pops or looks vibrant at all. The opposite in fact.

Whats going on ? I watch HDR content on Cinema Mode , SDR on expert isf, and basically follow the general calibration settings but the CX just looks so DULL compared to a bright QLED

Migman

Hi, i think you've purchased the wrong TV, sell your CX and buy the Sammy, you'll be MUCH happier.

dannius

Were you not able to look at it before you bought it? I find HDR on my B8 perfectly bright enough, and the picture is considerably more accurate than the Samsung Q7 it replaced, but if it’s high peak brightness you want then an LCD like a QLED may be better for you.

rccarguy

Probably the brighter image, more colour and vivid looking image suits you better.

When I look at my TV I don't want grass to look like neon green.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Return it and get the Samsung.

The OLED is for me the home-cinema enthusiasts TV. It has everything we have ever wanted in home cinema re: viewing angles, contrast, pixel level control, perfect HDR specular highlight detail, perfect blacks, blahblah.

But for the average Joe, I can definitely see them being wowed by a Samsung which are light cannons. They are bright, punchy images with overly exaggerated ETOF curve for HDR which over-brightens the image - but all of these features are eye catching IMO and give that wow factor to someone who doesn't watch their TV with the lights off etc. If you don't know what banding, halo effect, DSE, uniformity issues, dark corners are... or don't care about them, and prefer a bright impactful punchy image then I can see why someone would want a Samsung.

In short, I wouldn't try to convince you to keep an OLED (or a speaker, or a projector) if you aren't enjoying it. Check out the competition, enjoy the competition and pick the device which takes your fancy the most.

Although I feel OLED is far superior to LCD personally, by far are LCDs redundant as they do have the advantages I outlined above and feel for the average consumer, they might even be more satisfying purchase.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Have either been calibrated ?

rccarguy

Return it and get the Samsung.

The OLED is for me the home-cinema enthusiasts TV. It has everything we have ever wanted in home cinema re: viewing angles, contrast, pixel level control, perfect HDR specular highlight detail, perfect blacks, blahblah.

But for the average Joe, I can definitely see them being wowed by a Samsung which are light cannons. They are bright, punchy images with overly exaggerated ETOF curve for HDR which over-brightens the image - but all of these features are eye catching IMO and give that wow factor to someone who doesn't watch their TV with the lights off etc. If you don't know what banding, halo effect, DSE, uniformity issues, dark corners are... or don't care about them, and prefer a bright impactful punchy image then I can see why someone would want a Samsung.

In short, I wouldn't try to convince you to keep an OLED (or a speaker, or a projector) if you aren't enjoying it. Check out the competition, enjoy the competition and pick the device which takes your fancy the most.

Although I feel OLED is far superior to LCD personally, by far are LCDs redundant as they do have the advantages I outlined above and feel for the average consumer, they might even be more satisfying purchase.

You can dial down backlight/processing/colour on LCD.

Friend has a Panasonic LCD, and it's pretty good, I've seen a few of the higher end Panasonic LCD and they're good too, I bet if you got both calibrated, be a closer call...if you don't need backlight at 100% blackacre good enough

RealityDysfunction

I doubt thr real world has 4k resolution and HDR either so you're telling me you don't need those either?
If you think the Samsung looks better than the real world then you should probably get that TV. An LED-backlit LCD TV may be more to your taste.
I do not own a CX, but I'm sure some someone could advise you on how to adjust it to maximise brightness and colour saturation if that is your preference.

Evenflow80

Hi guys thanks at for the inputs!

My tv is not professionally calibrated but I use the recommended settings, i.e Cinema Home for HDR and ISF bright room for SDR. I pumped up color to 65 a bit and set color gamut to wide instead of auto but other than that im using the recommended settings

Im extemely hesitant to get it professionally calibrated. If the pros are saying Filmmaker mode is the most accurate, its likely I will hate what Profesional calibration will look like. To me Filmmaker looks so dark and dull and I can't imagine why anyone would ever watch it like that.

shotokan101

Distinguished Member
Can you take it over to your mate's and compare side by side ?

daredevill

How strange, I got my parents the Samsung a month ago to replace there older 4K Samsung (I have an oled) and I hated the picture with sky Q 4K output but thought maybe it’s because I prefer the oled look. When I went back next day and set it up as best I could it still looked crap to me. A few days later when I went back even they said it wasn’t as good as their old 4K Samsung it replaced. So I sent it back and got them the CX oled. Not heard a single complaint from them about the picture quality except how much better it is than the Samsung 90.
Maybe you have a bad CX? Also try the standard picture mode with a small amount of processing turned on and see if you like it better. You don’t have to use the filmmaker modes if you dont like the look of it.

BigChopper

I don’t know your tv as i have a Sony Oled but do you have a custom setting? try that, you can use the pre set modes but you can still tweek them to your liking

raymondo77

Do LG still ship their TVs with eco settings engaged? I’m pretty sure I had to turn it off on my C8 when I got it a couple of years ago. If that’s on it might explain why the image is dull. If not then maybe you’re just the sort of person who prefers the Samsung/lcd look and as others have said might be better off buying one of those instead.

Tegs200

Some people just like the look of an over exposed almost cartoon like vivid picture and some like a more natural look ie Oled owners , if you look out the window at your view today then that's an Oled view where as the Samsung is the land of make believe, horses for courses.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom