Why am I almost always on the opposite team to my clan mates?

I am a casual player, and a number of us in work have the same clan name.

In truth, we rarely play together, but if someone is online, I often try to join their game.

But its strange, I nearly always end up on the opposite team.. .In previous COD games, I would sometimes end up on the opposite team if there was no room in the lobby and then this would be sorted at the start of the next game.. But with BLOPS2, I seem to deliberately be placed on the opposing team.

I would say that if I played 10 games, I would only be on the same team once.. I don't get this, as surely this is the opposite behavour you would expect or wish for?

Anyone seen anything like this or can explain how/why this is happening?

Jon

Last edited:

Cha1ky

Are you just joining his game he's playing?

If so create a party then go in together.

Its how its always worked.

Are you just joining his game he's playing?

If so create a party then go in together.

Its how its always worked.
Always joining a game.. Never bother with creating a party.. Requires too much commitment on both side.. Instead we just join each others games if/when there is a chance.

I am 100% sure it used to pair clans better than this before.. In BLOPS2 it seems like it deliberately forces us apart, as the 90% of the time we are on opposite teams.

Jon

Cha1ky

If you dont create a party then join together then chances are you may not be on the same side.

Thats the reason the whole party system was made. Its not really a hard system. Not sure what commitment your on about, you're both online.

Invite mate, mate joins, search lobby, join game. Done.

Det

Distinguished Member
I think sitting there mashing "Join game" is much more commitment than sitting there waiting for your buddy to join your party and then playing together on the same team (guaranteed) for an evening.

I feel like you're just making it harder on yourself for no logical reason.

I think sitting there mashing "Join game" is much more commitment than sitting there waiting for your buddy to join your party and then playing together on the same team (guaranteed) for an evening.

I feel like you're just making it harder on yourself for no logical reason.
Unfortunalty its not.. I tend to play a few games.. Then go back to watching TV and repeat.. If my colleague is playing a game i have to send him an invite, and wait till he joins, only to give up after a few games.. So it messes him about and i cant expect me to join him. Especially if he has found a lobby hes enjoying.

I domt mind mashing join to get in.. But you would think the matchmaking logic took "clan" into account.. If anything to stop boosters from playing against each other!

Last edited:

Det

Distinguished Member
But then boosters wouldn't buy the game... and they'd lose money... why do you think they've kept in the tac ins after what happened in MW2.

But then boosters wouldn't buy the game... and they'd lose money... why do you think they've kept in the tac ins after what happened in MW2.
Sorry.. Dont follow what you are saying.. The fact that i can easily join a friends game on the oppositve side surely means its a candidate for boosting?

But thats not my point... I cant expect my friends to invite me when i am often online and have BLOPS runnig even though i might not be playing,, and equally i cant expect them to accept my invites if i am not going to stay playing dor more than a few games.. So i should be able to "join" then and expect to end up on their team at some point!

Cha1ky

Sorry.. Dont follow what you are saying.. The fact that i can easily join a friends game on the oppositve side surely means its a candidate for boosting?

But thats not my point... I cant expect my friends to invite me when i am often online and have BLOPS runnig even though i might not be playing,, and equally i cant expect them to accept my invites if i am not going to stay playing dor more than a few games.. So i should be able to "join" then and expect to end up on their team at some point!
Then whats the point in having them on your friend list.

If i had a friend who didnt want invites or didnt send them then I'd just delete them.

Thats the whole point of having friends and the party system so you can all group up together and get in games together. You can't really moan that the random system is rubbish when theres a perfectly normal system there that does what you are looking for.

Then whats the point in having them on your friend list.

If i had a friend who didnt want invites or didnt send them then I'd just delete them.

Thats the whole point of having friends and the party system so you can all group up together and get in games together. You can't really moan that the random system is rubbish when theres a perfectly normal system there that does what you are looking for.
I don't even know how to respond to that.. You are suggesting that because my friends don't want to play COD with me, I should delete them from my friends list? Should I stop talking to them too?

I use my PS3 for things other than COD you know? And there are other reasons for having people in a friends list...

THere is no point in continuing this discussion.. its got stupid now. Since I only play BLOPS2 a few times through out the evening, I can't expect an invite, as my friends wouldn't know if I was actually playing... And equally, I can't send them an invite, if it forces them to quit their game, and join mine, only to stop after a few games..

So "joining" is a local choice for people who play like me... But I just find it odd, that their matchmaking logic doesn't take "Clans" into account and match them together before the 'randoms'... I am 99% sure it did before..

You are right, there is a perfectly usable 'Party' system, but that doesn't work for me and the people I play with, who are casual to say the least.

Thanks for your support.. Very helpful!

Cha1ky

I don't even know how to respond to that.. You are suggesting that because my friends don't want to play COD with me, I should delete them from my friends list? Should I stop talking to them too?

I use my PS3 for things other than COD you know? And there are other reasons for having people in a friends list...
Nope, I'm saying why have people on your friends list who don't want invites or don't want to send them, regardless of the game.

Not sure what other reasons you add people onto your friends list for other than gaming with them. If its for chatting purposes, then the mobile or old fashioned face to face does the trick.

THere is no point in continuing this discussion.. its got stupid now. Since I only play BLOPS2 a few times through out the evening, I can't expect an invite, as my friends wouldn't know if I was actually playing... And equally, I can't send them an invite, if it forces them to quit their game, and join mine, only to stop after a few games..

So "joining" is a local choice for people who play like me... But I just find it odd, that their matchmaking logic doesn't take "Clans" into account and match them together before the 'randoms'... I am 99% sure it did before..
Why not expect an invite?

If I had a friend online and I was playing the same game, esp COD, I'd bang over an invite. Prob even message him/her to see if they wanted to party up for some game. I'd expect the same from them too. But you're right, theres no point continuing the discussion as there's a perfectly fine and usable system not just in COD but in most games. So if you want to make sure you're on the same team as a friend, use that. :smashin:

You are right, there is a perfectly usable 'Party' system, but that doesn't work for me and the people I play with, who are casual to say the least.
Doesn't matter how casual you are, if you want to play with friends then use the very simple party system. I can't see how the system won't 'work' for you. Is it really that bad an issue for a friend to leave their game or even you wait until he/she has finished their game to group up?

Thanks for your support.. Very helpful!
Don't mention it. :thumbsup:

Doesn't matter how casual you are, if you want to play with friends then use the very simple party system. I can't see how the system won't 'work' for you. Is it really that bad an issue for a friend to leave their game or even you wait until he/she has finished their game to group up?
Let me try again, one more time, just so that you don't walk away thinking I am a bell end.

When I get home from work, at some point I sit down, turn on the TV and eventually turn on my PS3 where I might play a few games of BLOPS.. When I get bored (perhaps 2 or 3 games) I will go back to watching TV and leave my PS3 and BLOPS on.

Then throughout the evening I will switch back and forth between TV and BLOPS.. If someone I know is playing, I MIGHT try to join them (depending on the person and my mood).. If I get a game, great.. If not, then I just carry on, on my own.

I don't really have an interest in playing online with these people, but if they are online and I can, then why not.. After all, its a talking point the next day. In in return, they really arn't interested in playing with me..

Imagine if I send them an invite, and they quit their game and join me, then I stop playing after a few games. They will soon get p**sed off with me..

In return, if they see me online and send me invites which I ignore (I ignore because I am watching TV and dont' see the invite) then they arn't going to bother to invite me.

Going a step further, my understanding of the invite system is that I need to send it and then wait for them to join.. How long do I wait? Do they want to join me? Did they get my invite? Do I just sit there waiting? (That said I could be wrong about this point).

I don't really want to get into a discussion about Parties... I have 6 colleagues who play COD regularly.. And in the 5 years I have been playing, none of us have ever bothered using the 'invite' system. It simply doens't work for us, we don't really care if we play together.. Or whether the people we invite are actually playing at the time.

So for me, "join" is my only option and I am surprised this doesn't allow clans to play together.

As for the comments about why they are in my friends list.. Why not? I guess the only reason we are in each others lists is just so that we can see what we are doing? And its a talking point.. And.. If they are in our list, we CAN join each other if we want.

Last edited:

Cha1ky

I don't really want to get into a discussion about Partys.. I have 6 colleagues who play COD regularly.. And in the 5 years I have been playing, none of us have ever bothered using the 'invite' system. It simply doens't work for us, we don't really care if we play together.. Or whether the people we invite are actually playing at the time.

So for me, "join" is my only option and I am surprised this doesn't allow clans to play together.
When you say clans are you just on about the tags, or a full set up clan on elite etc?

If its just tags then its good that it doesn't join you on the same team because anyone can just put that into their tags and join you.

As for being peeved that you only played a game or two, that really shouldn't be an issue. You've been playing together a while and know how much each other games. So when you drop in for a few games then leave it shouldn't be a problem. I have people on my friends list who do the same as you do, casual gamers. Doesn't bother me at all that they do that.

Anyway going around in circles here, You want to make sure you play with friends on the same team, I've explained how to do that. Job done. :thumbsup:

P.S Dont think your a bell. ;)

P.S Dont think your a bell. ;)
CHeers :)

Yes.. Not a full clan, just tags.. (Although we may have setup a clan under Elite, I can't remember).

I will just have to live with it as it is.. In some ways this is better as I actually get to play AGAINST my colleagues, which gives us something to talk about in the morning... But I just thought it odd that it almost seems to go out of its way to put us on opposite sides.

Det

Distinguished Member
Wow.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom