1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why all these 15:9 Screens ?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by mike7, Feb 6, 2005.

1. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +487
    When doing a little basic maths with the pixel count it seems that a lot of screens are actually 15:9 rather than 16:9. I cannot understand why so many manufacturers seem to be getting away with this. Even some Sony screens are apparently undersized. Often the tv's are advertised as being 16:9 when they are apparently not. It never seemed to be an issue with CRTs, and possibly not with Plasma's. This problem is often referred to in this forum as 'old screens'. Why were they made in the first place? It seems like the public are being a bit short-changed here. In choosing which model to buy I feel I need to eliminate these models straight away. Any thoughts ???

2. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I think that these screens have been churned out in their thousands by Far East companies based on the assumption that they are just big PC monitors! This 1280x768 resolution is a long established PC comfiguration.

More and more screens are now 1366x768 to re-establish the 16:9 ratio. Personally I'm surprised there aren't more 1280x720 screens. This would offer the correct native resolution for 720p broadcasts and still be 16:9.
    There are an amazing number of supposedly top notch screens with this odd resolution including, as you say, some from Sony, but especially from Panasonic, whos Viera range is 15:9! Rediculous.

Jimmy

3. imh

imh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are the physical screen sizes also 15x9?

4. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Good question Iain! Yes is the answer. LCD have a square pixel structure so the screen resolution goes hand in hand with physical size. Unlike Plasmas...

Jimmy

5. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jimsan,

I've flogged this in another thread already, but can I join in again and say that I too am bemused by the lack of genuine 1280*720 panels and am personally reluctant to get an LCD TV without one. (however ridiculous that seems!)

Does anyone know of, or own, a genuine 1280*720 panel LCD TV which can also display this resolution at 1:1 through its DVI input?

thanks

Graham

6. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Grimboid,

No decent 1280x720 TV exists! I find this amazing. Thing is, I don't expect there will ever be one now.

Jimmy

7. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't want to believe that there will never be a 1280*720 display!

Surely this will change as 720p becomes widespread? When Sky HD and/or next gen DVDs come along, everybody will be viewing either an inset picture or one which has been scaled up by some potentially dodgy maths in their telly.

Can anybody explain to me why I'm wrong in sometimes thinking that this issue is the elephant in the room on this forum?! :)

8. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Eh?

9. grimboid

grimboid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: